Electric vehicles

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
ex-khobar Andy

Electric vehicles

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I see that the Subaru thread has veered into EV territory.

I think that the majority of vehicles sold within about 5 years will be electric as the technology improves, governments start to get serious about combating climate change and gas/petrol becomes more expensive.

I need some electrical upgrades to the house, so I thought that while I was at it, I'd get a charging station set up in the garage. Even if I have no immediate use for it, I will someday, or it will make the place more salable.

Right now I have a 60A service to the house which is plenty for our current needs. (Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.). But I was told I'd have to up that to 90A which would mean going back to the pole, beefier cables, new box etc etc - maybe $4000 before any rewiring of the house. So probably about $5000 to get a charging station in there suitable for two cars.

I'm mulling it. Has anyone done this or have $$$ to compare?

BoSoxGal

Re: Electric vehicles

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

Not worth the fire hazard while charging.

A far better system is to use hydrogen fuel cells.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Yeah, hydrogen cells are so much safer and less prone to combustion.... :nana
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Thanks for the link BSG - I did not know about the concept of smart splitting. That would work.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:45 pm
Thanks for the link BSG - I did not know about the concept of smart splitting. That would work.
Excellent, glad to help. The FAQs on that page made it sound like a very safe affordable alternative to the major electrical box upgrades otherwise required.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan