Anybody remember the Blackberry?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Burning Petard

Anybody remember the Blackberry?

Post by Burning Petard »

Just finished reading "beautiful mystery" by Louise Penny. Almost all the action takes place in a monastery in Northern Quebec. No cell phone coverage.
No internet service. Yet the police blackberries still work to send and receive text messages. No internal clues that (I am ignorant of events in Canada) could tell me when the action is taking place. It was published in 2012.

How? What was their technology? Were they all connected to satellite?

snailgate

Big RR

Re: Anybody remember the Blackberry?

Post by Big RR »

I had blackberrys for a number of years and liked them because of their full keyboard and size big enough to easily type on them. I always thought they used cellular technology (if I'm not mistaken they were phones as well), but there wasn't a lot of wireless internet then. Perhaps, even though there aren't cell connections strong enough for voice, data transmission can still take place? Alternatively, perhaps there are satellite blackberrys for this sort of use;I recall a guy I worked with who often traveled to Africa (studying tropical diseases) who had a satellite phone (I think the nettwork was called Iridium) and he said it worked well pretty much anywhere (and this was in the 90s).

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I remember talk of Obama and his “crackberry” that be had to give up when elected.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I think I remember survivors happily discovering that their cell phones could still send and receive texts after the Banda Aceh tsunami wiped out all the cell towers. I don't know if they were Blackberries or not, or what technology was used. I had one about 20 years ago. One of my brothers in law was a long term holdout, keeping the same Blackberry for several years.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

We will see them again soon I think.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Somebody had to I suppose.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”