Hardware, software - Microsoft must die!

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MajGenl.Meade

Hardware, software - Microsoft must die!

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bill Gates has been insisting on upgrading my Windoze 10 for the past six weeks.

The problem is that the upgrade goes in - taking forever. Then at Start (or reStart) it spends forever removing all the "changes".

Then it sets itself up to do the damn upgrade all over again - ad infinitum apparently. I found MS advice on this very problem - the upgrade is apparently a bit too big for some laptops and their owners.

So there are instructions to go into Registry and increase the . . . er . . . lag time, idle time, waiting time . . . whatever to a large number of hours. Now it won't timeout (see below). They provided a code to change to the longer time period.

Then they cleverly added "if the time allowed is now still insufficient, increase it some more". But they didn't bother to explain HOW TO INCREASE IT SOME MORE stupid f-dogs. And of course, this upgrade keeps on and on and on installing and then uninstalling itself for hour after hour after hour.

There's no way to blow up this upgrade. No way to accept it and now way to stop it. I spend more house on-line with MS Support who "understood" my frustration and gave me a link which would upgrade Windoze 10 to accept the upgrade. And of course, it didn't it didn't it didn't

The damn upgrade is lurking over there - I can hear it trying to muffle its breathing. It's waiting to leap out at me at 11:59 one week from now when it will upgrade and then turn everything off. Until I hit start and wait an hour while it uninstalls itself.

Damn!@
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Re: Hardware, software - Microsoft must die!

Post by Joe Guy »

If it won't accept a Windows 10 update, it must be time for a new computer. I just upgraded to Windows 11 on my laptop.

Always glad to help.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You're a mensch, Joe. My poor laptop doesn't qualify for the free 11 upgrade. Guess it may be time to pull the plug
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think I’m still running Windoze 7 on my aging ThinkPad.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:58 pm
You're a mensch, Joe. My poor laptop doesn't qualify for the free 11 upgrade. Guess it may be time to pull the plug
Sorry. If it was only Windows 11 that you were not able to load, I think your computer would still have a couple years of usefulness. If you can’t add a Windows 10 update, your computer (if you get it working) will be less secure. The only reason I could upgrade to 11 is because I recently bought a new one. There’s nothing great about 11 as far as I can tell.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe - No, you were right first time. It's a Windoze 10 upgrade that simply loads and unloads itself over and over again. I had though of upgrading to 11 if that would cure the obsessive Farmer in the Dell from all this planting and unplanting. But my laptop (not nearly as old as my wife's being of 2014 vintage) doesn't have enough muscles to go to 11.

So I'm afraid it must be a new laptop. About time. My battery stopped working a year ago - the replacement only made it 10 months - and now it won't recharge at all.

BSG - you and my wife, except hers is on a Dell laptop that was refurbished a gazillion years ago after being used for a pre-gazillion years. That one's battery stopped recharging a long time back.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I tried upgrading to Win 11, apparently my chipset isn't up to it. May have to buy another computer.

I've been thinking for sometime that I should move into the 20th century and buy one of them new fangled "laptop" thingies. However, the latest versions of photoshop and my DAW, require some quite high spec and LOADS of RAM, (photoshop also requires a very good monitor.) Them sorts of "laptop " come at a premium.

Bah!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Laptops are doing a lot more nowadays. I just got upgraded from a desktop to a laptop for my work computer. (Though I had to downgrade back last week due to teething problems and approaching deadlines). The the new laptop runs quite a bit faster than the desktop and the desktop was only about 6 years old.

Oh and you can get “docking stations” to attach monitors and keyboards etc to your laptop. I run two monitors keyboard mouse and a 3D mouse through my docking station. I doubt the monitor is muck bigger than 13”
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

(Though it seems “sleep mode” has issues with the dock which were the cause of my problems last week.)

Monitor appears to be 16 inch. Do they do metric diagonal measurements for screen sizes over there? Just occurred to me screens are one of those things that don’t yet have a demand for a metric conversation (which is odd because just about everything else computer-wise is metric)

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks CP!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Now this is a laptop - shortly to bite the dust (sob). 2.4kg of horror

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

After almost 30 years of Microsoft (MS-DOS through Windows 7) at home and work, I bought a MacBook Air. After you get used to a different set of idiosyncrasies, I won't go back to a PC. My wife runs Windows 10 on her Asus and it seems like a foreign language to me.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

If you need a cheap laptop, Walmart has a Gateway with touch screen for $150.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 pm
After almost 30 years of Microsoft (MS-DOS through Windows 7) at home and work, I bought a MacBook Air. After you get used to a different set of idiosyncrasies, I won't go back to a PC. My wife runs Windows 10 on her Asus and it seems like a foreign language to me.
My first desktop and first laptop were Mac; I look forward to getting back there I’ve been squirreling away funds for a year to put toward a MacBook Air. What’s your configuration?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Personally I’m a little fed up with Apple computers these days as they keep dumping backward compatibility. I’m getting tired of their constant cycle of expanding compatibility only to remove it later

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:28 pm
Personally I’m a little fed up with Apple computers these days as they keep dumping backward compatibility. I’m getting tired of their constant cycle of expanding compatibility only to remove it later
Bingo. That being said, I still love my MacBook. I went from Pro to Air in early 2020, then added a docking station, keyboard, mouse, and huge monitor when everything shut down. It has worked well for remote work, except to use Word effectively I have to log into work and use it there, the “native” version for iOS sucks. So that’s an issue if I’m having internet issues or the host office desktop has shut down for the weekend.

The Air has everything I need at a significant discount compared to the Pro, and is small and light for carrying around when I’m out of the office for multiple days in a row and need access.

They do pretty well on life expectancy too. My Pro went 8 plus years. I expect the Air to last as long.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's six years old; cost me $600 - ish on sone sort of deal at Best Buy, and I recently upgraded to Big Sur OS (free, done at the Apple store).

I agree that Apple stuff seems - no, is - expensive but I've probably been on it for four hours a day for six years = almost 10,000 hours. So $600 does not seem, in that context, outrageous. It's had a new battery which cost something like $120.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I recently upgraded my iMac to "Monterey" OS. I've always liked the Mac best but I've only bought Windows laptops because they're cheaper than Macs. Although I just spent way too much for this laptop because I wanted a 17 inch screen.

Oh well. It's only money....

Gob

Post by Gob »

266328010_4886795124715229_3444682604675916985_n.jpg