Drive Home Drunk App

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Drive Home Drunk App

Post by Gob »

A group of US senators has asked smart phone firms to cease distributing apps said to enable drivers who have been drinking to avoid police checkpoints.

Four Democrats wrote to the executives at Apple, Google and Research in Motion, which makes Blackberry devices.

The applications are said to enable users to alert one another to locations where police are stopping motorists.

The senators said the apps put innocent people at risk and asked the companies to remove them from online stores.

In cities and towns across the US, police set up checkpoints at which they aim to catch motorists who have been drinking.

Those suspected of driving while drunk are required to submit to an alcohol test if requested.

"Giving drunk drivers a free tool to evade checkpoints, putting innocent families and children at risk, is a matter of public concern," Senators Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, Harry Reid of Nevada, Charles Schumer of New York and Tom Udall of New Mexico wrote.

The letter was addressed to Google chief executive Eric Schmidt, Research in Motion's James Balsillie and Michael Lazaridis, and Scott Forstall, an Apple executive in charge of iPhone software.

Google makes the open-source Android software used in several devices that compete with the Apple iPhone.

The letter cited apps with as many as 10 million users which purport to offer a database of police checkpoints that is updated in real-time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12835846
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Timster

Re: Drive Home Drunk App

Post by Timster »

Perhaps the "Smart Phone" should just have a built-in breathalyzer App. :lol:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

WTF?

By all means necessary we should protect the ability of the individual to put others on the roadway at risk of serious bodily injury and/or death.

After all, driving is a God-given right!

:roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

If i wasn't for MADD I'd agree with you BSG. THe rules nowadays are just so draconian that I'd want to avoid those things at all costs no mater what I had to drink (and because it's an inconvienence) or not.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Crackpot wrote:If i wasn't for MADD I'd agree with you BSG. THe rules nowadays are just so draconian that I'd want to avoid those things at all costs no mater what I had to drink (and because it's an inconvienence) or not.
That. I will do a bootlegger's turn to avoid on if necessary.

I haven't had a drink in many years.