Grout

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Grout

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have two projects to accomplish in the coming weeks: remove and replace grout in shower stall unit, and clean/brighten the grout on two tile floors in kitchen and bath.

As far as the tile grout goes, I cannot replace any of it and it’s in reasonably good condition anyway, but it is discolored in places and I’d like it to be uniform and brightened.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations to share from their own experience because I haven’t ever had the occasion to do either of these things in other places I have lived.

There are all kinds of products to choose from for cleaning and brightening, but I’m clueless as to whether they are good or will do what I want or would just be a waste of money.

Thanks in advance!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Grout

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I tried a grout cleaner years ago - don't recall the name; and products are better now, I'm sure - with little success - the result was patchy at best. I ended up using a Dremel to remove enough grout to replace it with new and it looked fine. A lot of work though and if I recall correctly it took a few weeks on and off but we had two full bathrooms in those days so it was not a major inconvenience.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Have asked this along time ago, and did not then get an answer that satisfied me. What is the functional purpose of grout -- the practice of carefully leaving a gap between pieces of tile in wall or floor material, and then filling the gap with something of contrasting (usually white) semi-solid material.

There are many examples of similar tiles, in large or small pieces, tightly butted up against each other with a minimal gap (sometimes described as 'you cannot get a cigarette rolling paper in the space') and such surfaces have no problem with water getting under or structural failure; at least no more than grouted construction..

Usual cleaning material is whitening toothpaste, the proprietary 'Scrubbing Bubbles' with abrasives, or the things recommended for cleaning the plastic outer covering on car headlights. The usual kitchen abrasive cleaners, like 'Ajax" or even "Bon Ami" are too aggressive and will remove enough material to destroy the water resistance of the grout surface. A small brush on a portable drill is useful. Me, I like simple. Cover it up with White Out or felt tip pen with appropriate color. I suspect the later is typical male approach to cleaning.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

I used bleach and a toothbrush on ours, worked fine.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Oxi clean works too. You may think about a grout sealant to reduce the future need to clean it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:23 pm
I used bleach and a toothbrush on ours, worked fine.
Full strength or dilute? And no corrosion of the grout after application?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Bleach is the right stuff if it is mostly mold, mildew; wear rubber dish washing gloves, ventilate well (it releases Chlorine gas, a WWI war material) Not so much on greasy dirt. Common to add a little surfactant (dish detergent, Formula 409) Start cut 50/50, and see how it goes. Never add Ammonia. That produces Phosgene gas, an even more effective WWI gas agent. Rinse well to stop the chemical acton of the bleach.

snailgate.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:07 pm
Never add Ammonia. That produces Phosgene gas, an even more effective WWI gas agent. Rinse well to stop the chemical acton of the bleach.

snailgate.
According to my old chemistry book, phosgene gas has the chemical formula of COCl.
Since household ammonia is an aqueous solution of water (H₂O) and NH, and bleach is a similar solution of H₂O and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) — where is the carbon coming from?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I don't remember everything my father told me but I remember him telling me that mixing "Clorox" & Ammonia creates Chloramine gas and not to do it. My mother just told me it could kill me but she didn't say why.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Sorry, I was a microbiologist and process safety supervisor. I admit to naming the gas wrong. But the danger is real. In my business, the most hazardous chemical was something (maybe anything) named Ethylmethylkilludead. By the way, BB have you considered the hazards of overexposure to Dihydrogen monoxide? Many people are killed each year from over-exposure and it does big dollar destruction to property Some place in my archives I have the Material Safety Data Sheet for Dihydrogen monoxide. I can send it to you if I find it. The stuff is widely available in liquid or solid form. Around here bicyclists particularly hate it.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

You forgot to mention that DHMO (dihydrogen monoxide) is the closest thing to a universal solvent that man has discovered or created, which is probably the only reason it hasn't been banned and is still being sold.   I already have a copy of the MSDS, tucked into the same file that contains the MSDS for the element 'woman'.

But thanks for thinking of me.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I am Grout.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok
~ Carl Sagan