I have never seen a unicorn, but

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Burning Petard

I have never seen a unicorn, but

Post by Burning Petard »

I have seen a Fisker. At about 2:30pm, Feb 28, 2024, at the intersection of Delaware Rt 273 and Pulaski Hiway (old US40) Bear, DE, I was sitting at the light waiting for the green arrow so I could make at left turn onto 273. In front of me was a car I did not recognize. I crept forward to get a good look at the logo on the back. I got close enough to read ‘Fisker’ . It also had temporary paper license plate where I could read that it was a 2023 Fisker, purchased in January of 2024. I got a brief look at the passenger side. It seemed to be a medium sized SUV, typical boxy shape.

The emblem on the trunk lid looked just like the logo on the wiki entry for Fisker, Inc. I thought the Fisker was mostly vapor ware, soon to join automotive history bin along with the Tucker.

I never saw one of those, but I did see once the Davis from the same era as the Tucker, but it has no entry in wiki. The Davis was a very short wheel-base with a unique driver convenience. It had a very small turning circle. Where parking was not available, one could turn into a trucker alley, turn the wheel all the way in one direction, turn on the special ‘Park” controller which would prevent the wheel from turning, but leave the engine running, the standard 3-speed tranny engaged and the car running in a tight circle at about 2 miles per hour while the driver stepped out and went for a social engagement. And you thought driverless cars were something new.

snailgate
Last edited by Burning Petard on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGMcAnick

Re: I have never seen a unicorn, but

Post by MGMcAnick »

There were a pair of brothers south of Wichita who owned two Tuckers and, as they said, "enough parts to almost build another". They had bought a lot of stuff from what was left of the company sometime in the '50s. I bought a Model A Ford Touring Car from them in 1974. I got to sit in a very nice Tucker at the time. They served as technical advisors on the movie "Preston Tucker, a Man and His Dreams". Several real Tuckers were in the movie, and several more were "made" with styrofoam ™ panels sculpted and stuck onto torpedo nosed Studebakers.

There is more to the Gilliland brother's story than that, but no mention of their Tucker affiliation is mentioned in Stan's recent obit.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/kp ... d=53525770

Hmmmm, I thought Stan was a LOT older than me. It sure seemed like it 50 years ago.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.