On a plate

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

On a plate

Post by Gob »

Never seen the point myself, but each to their own

BE ''CR8TIV'', just don't call yourself Jesus. Personalised number plates might get you chuckling, but wait until you see the ones that didn't make it through the censors.

More than 41,000 people applied for personalised number plates with the Roads and Traffic Authority in the past year, bringing in $62 million in revenue.

Drivers have branded themselves ''QRIOUS'' (curious), ''CR8TIV'' (creative), or the ''GR8TST'' (greatest), and a garbage truck was given the plate ''STINKY''.

However, about 200 number plates were rejected for being offensive, overtly religious, sexual or violent. Number plates that ''encourage unsafe drinking or driving'' were also banned, said an RTA spokeswoman.

''JESUSX'' and ''LCIFR'' (Lucifer) were canned, as were ''RAC3M3'' (race me), ''PLSTRD'' (plastered), ''4P1AY'' (foreplay), ''RAP3D'' (raped) and the creatively spelt ''UTERAS''.

But picking the unsavoury from the acceptable is no science - the RTA has recalled 12 number plates that were issued and later deemed to be inappropriate. Each set of plates costs $200 to order and carries an annual fee of $90.

A bargain? Consider how much people will pay for the perfect plate: ''EZZ-11Y'' (easy) is listed for $10,000 on the Trading Post website, and eBay lists ''MRJAZZ'' for $6000, and ''MY-00-MY'' for $3388.88.

The most expensive number plate listed for sale on eBay is ''QB-8888'', considered a lucky grouping of letters and numbers in Chinese culture, priced at $98,888.

Websites such as Number Plate Trader deal especially in collectable plates that are considered investments by their owners, while the motoring auction house, Shannons, regularly sells off premium plates, some valued at more that $1 million.

The auction administrator, Ian Clayton, said NSW antique numeral-only number plates were the most collectable because they were discontinued in 1937.

These are registered plates numbered from 1 to 273879, and single-numeral plates are the most collectable and expensive.

''It depends on what the number is, but the numeral eight is highly valued in the Asian market, and balanced numbers bring more money than random groupings of numbers.

''On average, for a four-digit plate you are looking around the $40,000 mark,'' Mr Clayton said.

The RTA no longer controls the vetting of personalised number plates. Since October, applications go through the contractor Plate Marketing Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of Licensys Pty Ltd.

Documents published by the RTA reveal the contract is worth $15 million over 15 years.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Re: On a plate

Post by The Hen »

One day I WILL have a personalized plate.

That day will be when I change my name to YBF 53X.

:nana
Bah!

Rick

Post by Rick »

HEYSUS...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

quaddriver

Post by quaddriver »

1FASTMF

was issued in the early 80's in Cali. Lookitup if you can. Somewhat famous ride....

Gob

Post by Gob »

I want BASDUN.

Everyone would think it an acronym, but it's actually Welsh for bastard. :)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I thought welsh was a long string of acronyms spouted by a drunken Welshman.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

It is. :p

Liz got vanity plates for her Grand National last year...it now can back up the claim on the plate: "GOS10S". ("Goes 10's", that is: a 10-second 1/4 mile run)

I had "BADCAD" on my de Ville, but forgot to renew when the car was apart for almost a year after getting hit...now, "BADCAD" is on, fittingly, a CTS-V.

I recently saw "TRAKRAT" on a well-worn Porsche 944.

My old boss had "1BADDAK" on his supercharged Dakota pickup.

Liz's boss at the towing company has "DAHOOK" on his Excursion...his wife's Charger Daytona wears "HOOKED". :)

Sean

Post by Sean »

A mate of mine, an audio engineer, had the plate PIN2HOT.

A prize for anyone who gets it... :D
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

quaddriver

Post by quaddriver »

Has to do with the wiring for the XLR connectors.

Sean

Post by Sean »

That is correct!

And your prize is...

The warm glow that comes with knowing something that most here would not!

Enjoy!
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?