UK Petrol prices, WTF?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

UK Petrol prices, WTF?

Post by Gob »

Price of petrol hits record high

The average price of unleaded petrol has hit a new high of 119.9p a litre, analysts Experian Catalist have said.

Prices have been increasing steadily since the end of last year as the pound has weakened, which makes imported fuel more expensive.

The previous record was 119.7p, reached in July 2008 when the price of oil peaked at $147 a barrel.

Rising wholesale prices have also added to the price, as well as a 1p rise in fuel duty which took effect on 1 April.

A further 1p rise in duty is due in October and an increase of 0.76p is set for January 2011.

"This is a dark day for motorists," said RAC motoring strategist Adrian Tink.

"Petrol prices have been rising steadily over the past year and have now reached the inevitable record high.

"However, this is only the average. In some areas, motorists will be paying close to £6 a gallon (131.9p a litre)."

According to price comparison site petrolprices.com, the most expensive petrol station in the country is on the M1 motorway in Buckinghamshire, which is charging 130.9p a litre.

The cheapest are two stations in Yorkshire, which are charging 114.9p a litre.

The average price of diesel is currently 120.65p a litre, according to Experian Catalist, still well below the record average of 133.25p, also set in July 2008.

Brendan McLoughlin at petrolprices.com says the fall in the value of sterling is the main reason behind the rise.

"We have seen fuel duty rises too, but the impact of the exchange rate has been the single largest cause of rising pump prices lately."

The pound has fallen by about 15 cents against the dollar in the past few months.

In November, it was trading at $1.67. It is currently trading at $1.52.

Another reason for the rising price on the forecourt is increased refining costs, which have pushed up the wholesale price of petrol.

This, together with currency movements, helps to explain the record petrol price despite the fact that oil currently costs about $85 a barrel, well below the $147 a barrel it cost when petrol prices were last this high.

The best hope for a fall in the price of petrol, according to the AA, is for the pound to strengthen.

"We can only hope that the 6 May election produces a result that strengthens the pound and puts downward pressure on pump prices," said the motoring group's Paul Watters.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/b ... 609542.stm

Published: 2010/04/08 17:04:20 GMT
Not far short of DOUBLE what we pay here in Aus?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

@meric@nwom@n

Re: UK Petrol prices, WTF?

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

And sitting on all that oil too.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It is shocking the cost. They have received far more of a battering from the Economic Crisis than we did here.
Bah!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

$9.20/gal for gasoline?!?! :o

Holy shit; good thing distances in the UK are so much shorter than here!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

bigskygal wrote:$9.20/gal for gasoline?!?! :o

Holy shit; good thing distances in the UK are so much shorter than here!
Why is that a quantum mechanic type of thing or what? I would have figured a mile here was the same as a mile over there. I mean who knew a mile was shorter there..... :nana

Gob

Post by Gob »

You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day. :P

Don't forget also the punitive "Car Tax" rates levied, and the complulsory vehicle inspections in the UK.

Annual Car tax is £ 205.00 = $315 US = $337 Au. =$315 Can.

Annual Car inspection £50.35 (plus cost of repeairs)= $77 US. =$82 Au. =$70 Can

I think I'm right in saying the UK has the highest insurance costs too!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It is no wonder some people never stray far from where they were born over there. If they don't have access to decent public transport, they are fucked unless they have a job in the town they live.
Bah!

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Yeah but at least if you get hit by a car you can get health care without going bankrupt.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

That's true.

But how scary is it for a person to live and work in Sennen and go for their holidays to St Ives. A distance of about 14 miles.

Stay there for two weeks and come back home?

It was scary.

Their global impact was like a bound Chinese woman's foot.
Bah!

Sean

Post by Sean »

These are the people who would wander across the Clifton suspension bridge nervously clutching a passport and phrasebook. :)
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

@w: :rsp
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

:twisted:

dales

Post by dales »

It wasn't all that long ago that gasoline could be had for $1/ US Gallon here in the states.

Around 2002, I believe.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

The last time gasoline was averaging $1/US gal or less (on the US East Coast) was early 1999. On the West Coast, it never got below $1, and was hovering around $1.02-$1.03 in the same period.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleu ... story.html
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I recall that when I left law school in 2000, I was paying around $1.20/gal. - in Maine, anyway.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:Yeah but at least if you get hit by a car you can get health care without going bankrupt.

Not exactly true.

Compulsorary Libaility Insurance comes into the picture and would pay for the medical expenses of both parties.

Anyway, anyone who shells out that much bread for gas is certifiably insane! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Miles

Post by Miles »

Shit when I was in high school gas was 16 cents per gal. for reg and 18 cents for prem. Now I do feel old. :roll:
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Anyway, anyone who shells out that much bread for gas is certifiably insane!
That sounds nice, but, especially in the US, we'd pay whatever the price was to get our "fix"; what other choice do we have? There's effectively no public transit in most areas, and few of us live within walking/biking distance of food stores, let alone our work.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

It's this kind of thing that actually makes me feel good I get about on a bike now.
I'm as chuffed as if I owned a hybrid!

dales

Post by dales »

Big RR wrote:
Anyway, anyone who shells out that much bread for gas is certifiably insane!
That sounds nice, but, especially in the US, we'd pay whatever the price was to get our "fix"; what other choice do we have? There's effectively no public transit in most areas, and few of us live within walking/biking distance of food stores, let alone our work.

That would depend upon where one lives.

I would believe that many urbanized area in the US have some type of rudeminatary public transit.

If one lives in E. Bumfk Miss.- - - - yore sheet outtta luk :) :) :)

yrs,
rubato