Old test? Still relevant?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Old test? Still relevant?

Post by Gob »

When Mr J. Beene signalled with his right hand and pulled out on to the road on June 1, 1935, he would have had an inkling that he was about to make motoring history.

After reversing around a corner, coming to an emergency stop without stalling his engine, turning left and correctly answering questions from the Highway Code, he became the first person in the country to pass his driving test.

But what this pioneer of the petrol age could scarcely have imagined was that 94 million tests and 75 years later, the driving test — honed, polished and refined as it may be — remains pretty much as it was from the outset.

While the world has changed around it, the test itself has remained a constant; an immovable rite of passage and source of freedom, angst and improved road safety.

Mike Penning, the Road Safety Minister, paused yesterday to salute the exam as its anniversary approaches. “The driving test is not just a rite of passage, it has helped save thousands of lives on our roads,” he said.

“High standards of driver training and assessment are an essential contribution to helping Britain’s roads remain among the safest in the world.”

Fatalities were at their highest in 1934 before the introduction of the test and the reimposition of speed limits.

With only 2.4 million vehicles on the roads, of which 1.5 million were cars, 7,343 people were killed in Britain. By 2008 the number of cars had risen to 34 million but the number of deaths had fallen to 2,538.

Technology, including advanced braking systems, radial tyres and compulsory seatbelts, played its part but so has mandatory testing.

“It has had a massive impact,” said Ashley Bateman, assistant chief driving examiner at the Driving Standards Agency. “In a way it has remained unchanged. The actual main structure [of the test] had some similarity, as it does now.”

Soon after becoming Transport Minister in 1934, Leslie Hore-Belisha laid down three pillars of road safety that endure to this day.

The Road Traffic Act 1930 had abolished speed limits and motorists enjoyed a brief era of unrestricted travel. But road deaths surged, especially among pedestrians in built-up areas. As he crossed Camden High Street, North London, in 1934, Mr Hore-Belisha had a near miss with a speeding motorist and that same year introduced the 30mph limit that still exists in most urban areas.

His next act, along with the beacon that bears his name, was to introduce the driving test — first as a voluntary scheme but after three months as a legal requirement for any new driver.

“Driving is an art in which those who are engaged should, in the interest of their own and of the public’s safety, take the greatest pains to make them proficient,” he said.

The test was suspended during the Second World War and the Suez Crisis in 1956, when examiners were put in charge of fuel rationing. But since 1957 it has continued uninterrupted.

Hand signals were dropped from the test in 1975. A reverse parking manoeuvre was added in the 1990s to take account of dwindling road space. A separate theory test was introduced in 1996.

In 2002 a hazard perception test was added and in 2008 an ecosafe section taught pupils how to conserve fuel. In April instructors were encouraged to observe their pupils’ tests, and in October a new, independent driving assessment will be introduced where learners will be left to follow road signs.

The test has become longer and more people now fail. In 1935 63 per cent of the 246,000 drivers passed; by 2004 the rate had fallen to 43 per cent of the 1,399,115 who took it.

Mr Bateman says that this is because there is far more traffic rather than the test itself having become more complex. “It is to do with the volumes of traffic. There was not as much to go wrong in the past,” he said.

Anyone taking the test on Tuesday will perform the same manoeuvres as Mr Beene, bar the hand signal.

Hard driven

• Maureen Rees, a Welsh cleaner, became a household name in 1997 after appearing on Driving School on BBC One. More than 12 million people tuned in each week to watch her shout abuse at her husband Dave, a driving instructor, as she bunny-hopped their Lada “Betsy” along the road. Having failed her test multiple times off screen, she made two more unsuccessful attempts during filming.

She eventually passed in an automatic. Maureen’s single, a cover of Driving in my Car by Madness, reached No 50 in the UK singles chart and the BBC screened a special episode in her honour called The Making of Maureen.

She has since taken racing car lessons and flying lessons, and passed her test in a manual car. She still drives a Lada.

• In February last year a South Korean saleswoman named Cha failed her test for the 771st time. Officials witheld the full name of the 68-year-old grandmother to protect her from ridicule.

Michelle Kelly, 31, failed her test for the third time in Manchester after she sprayed a man at a bus stop with water. Her examiner said that she should have stopped at the scene of the “accident”.

• Barry Shiels, of Carnhill, Northern Ireland, was fined £300 for assaulting an examiner who failed him for the second time in February 2009.

• The “keep failing driving test club” on the netmums website provides refuge for kindred spirits: “Am fine when in hubbies car, its just test day gets the better of me,” said Katrina O after her fourth failed attempt.

“I crashed the car into some bushes! I cried all the way back to the test centre and now my theory test certificate has ran out for the second time!” said Louise after her third failed test.

• Drivers are most likely to pass in Stonehaven, which has a 68.4 per cent pass rate. They are least likely to pass in Bradford Heaton (29 per cent).

• The most common causes of failure are: 1. Junction observation 2. Use of mirrors 3. Reversing 4. Moving away safely 5. Junctions, turning right and roundabouts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 138594.ece
Fastest driving test failure in the UK? 2 minutes before the test started.

Learner driver and instructor pull into driving centre, instructor goes into the office and after a long wait, emerges with the examiner.

Girl sitting test beeps the horn to indicate where the car is.

Examiner approaches car, signals for the girl to wind down the window, and says: "It's illegal to use a horn while stationary," and gives her the fail slip.

I passed first time, surprisingly. Mind you I had been driving totally illegally for six years before I sat the test.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

SisterMaryFellatio

Re: Old test? Still relevant?

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

First timer too.....However when moving here it did take me around 15 times to pass the written!! lol

Gob

Post by Gob »

I was so fucking glad I didn't have to resit the practical when getting my Aussie license, my bad habits are too far ingrained after 30+ years of driving!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Girl sitting test beeps the horn to indicate where the car is.

Examiner approaches car, signals for the girl to wind down the window, and says: "It's illegal to use a horn while stationary," and gives her the fail slip.
I know people who would maim the guy for that. I'm probably one of them.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I don't know if new drivers have to sit a test now or not. It seems like most don't even take driver's ed now as it is so expensive. I think older drivers have to sit a test at a certain age.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Well, in Cali you have to show proof of a Driver's School to get a new license but as you age you don't, while I would think you should.

Gob

Post by Gob »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:I don't know if new drivers have to sit a test now or not. It seems like most don't even take driver's ed now as it is so expensive. I think older drivers have to sit a test at a certain age.
Are you saying that in the US you can drive legally without passing a test?

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Actually I said "I don't know".

So I looked it up and apparently one does have to take a skills test. I only recall taking driver's ed then passing a written test. There was not an actual driving skills test that I recall.
How to get an Indiana Driver's License

Find out how to get a new IN driver's license, replace your out-of-state license and requirements for international drivers with this Indiana DMV guide.
The Rules

Under IN DMV guidelines, you must be at least 16 years 30 days of age to apply for an Indiana Drivers License.

All applicants need to be familiar with the Indiana Driver's Manual. Think you know the material? Take our DMV practice test now and test your driving knowledge.
First Time Drivers

If this is your first driver's, you will need to apply for an Indiana learners permit which requires a written exam on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques.

Once you receive a valid learners permit, you will then need to pass a road skills test in addition to vision and hearing tests to receive an IN drivers license.

Applicants under 18 must have held a learners permit for 60 days before taking the road skills test.
New IN Residents

New residents with an out-of-state license must obtain an Indiana driver's license upon establishing a permanent residence in IN. When heading to the DMV, be sure to bring the license from your former state as you will be required to surrender it in order to obtain the new license.

There is no road skills testing required to change a valid out-of-state license to an IL driver's license, however you will need to pass a written exam and the vision test.

If your out-of-state driver's license has expired, you may be required to pass the road skills test as well.
International Drivers

Indiana honors a valid foreign driver's license with an international driving permit for a period of one year. Once you establish residency in Indiana, you must apply for an Indiana learners permit and pass all of the required tests including the written exam, vision screening and road skills test.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I should point out that Indiana is just one state and does not represent the whole US. Road rules and laws vary from state to state.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cheers @-w, be nice if others posted their states rules here..

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

The California drivers license test is required for a drivers license application and that is why it is very important to read and review the California Driver’s Manual to pass the test.

Before going to the CA DMV office, take note of the following needed for the drivers license test:

* Completed original copy of application form DL 44
* Thumb print
* Picture
* Social Security Number, which will be confirmed with the Social Security Administration at the time of visit at the DMV
* Payment for the application fee

First-Time Drivers

Those who are applying for a driver’s license for the first time in California need to apply for a learner’s permit. Applicants must pass a written test on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving practices. This permit is one of the things needed for the California drivers license test to take the road skills exam aside from vision and hearing exams.

Applicants who are below the age of 18 should have received a learner’s permit for six months and be able to show a certificate of completion for the mandatory 50 hours of supervised driving prior to taking the road skills exam.

New Residents

For new California residents who has a license from a different state, the CA license should be acquired in 10 days from being permanent CA resident. So to get the new drivers license, the license from the former state should be brought and surrendered to the DMV. Applicants should do well on the written and vision exams to get the new CA license, and the road skills exam won't be necessary. In case the out-of-state license is already expired, it is necessary to apply for a CA interim license and do well on all required exams to obtain the license.

After completion of the drivers license test requirements, the applicant shall now undergo and pass the vision exam, traffic laws and sign test which has 36 questions. Applicants are granted three opportunities to pass this California drivers license written test.

I remember going through the 'Learner's Permit' stage was Hell! Having to ride along with a hormonally-charged teenager, who thought he was playing a game of 'Grand Theft Auto' and treated semi-trucks like traffic cones; nearly gave me a cardiac arrest a few dozen times!

dales

Post by dales »

I've taken driving tests for "school bus driver" with a CHP offiecer.

Passed.

That was a hilarious experience. 8-)

Took a test in the snow in WA.

Passed.....(the examiner was surprised the a CA dude knew how to drive in the snow). 8-)

I used to teach BTW driving so I know what the examiners look for.

Now, I am no longer a "pro". :cry:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hatch is currently doing her "Road Ready" course;
To get a learner driver licence in the ACT you must:

* be at least 15 years and 9 months of age
* successfully complete a specially developed road safety course - Road Ready Program
* pass the computer based Road Rules Knowledge Test - you can use the practice test on this site to get ready.

Most ACT secondary schools offer the course as part of the year 10 program. For those who have already left school the course can be taken at a Road Ready Centre.

When you have completed the course and passed the Road Rules Knowledge Test you will be given a certificate that you take to a Canberra Connect Shopfront or the Road User Services office at Dickson, with proof of identity, to be issued with your learner driver licence.

Once you have your learner driver licence you can learn to drive with a driving instructor, parents, relations or friends provided that the licensed driver holds a full Australian driver licence. The full driver licence must be the type required for the vehicle the learner is driving.

A learner licence lasts for 2 years, but must be held for at least 6 months being able to obtain a provisional driver licence. You must display "L" plates at all times when driving.

For more information and course availability go to www.freebott.com.au

dales

Post by dales »

She'll still end up driving on the WRONG side of the road. :nana

(best of luck, Hatch!) :ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Yup, she'll be drivin' ...drivin' you round the bend, the next time(s) she cuts-off a semi!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh tell me about it. She's already correcting my driving "bad practice" after only three 1 hr classroom sessions. :(

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You know they pick up your bad habits as well.

I'm looking forward to, like my dad, learning how to control my swearing around my kids when the youngest turns 18.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

You better control your swearing around them a lot earlier than that -- wait until you hear your little one repeating back to you your favorite curse words. It's funny, for about 30 seconds, and then you realize you really have to edit everything you say around them.

A dear friend of mine is from Brooklyn, and has the mouth to match. Her mouth is even more horrific when driving. One day she was sitting at a red light behind a dump truck. The light turned green, and the truck didn't move. She was getting ready to let off a string of curses when from the backseat she hears (from her 3-year-old) "Green Means Go. Go muther-f@&ker Go."
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

but it's not nearly as funny as watching your father use odd replacements long after swearing has lost it's charm.

And as they say they're going to learn about it somewhere shouldn't it be at home? :D
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

At the proper time; if done at the toddler stage, that ingrains bad social skills and habits.

I have neighbor who's a horribly, scary driver
...and that's everyone else on the road's fault, but her's. So, she takes it out on them by spewing, instead on focusing on her driving.