Car wash sir?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Car wash sir?

Post by Gob »

Gurcharn Sahota works on some of the world's fastest cars at his workshop just outside Derby.

But if you're used to spending £5 on getting the car cleaned at the local garage, forget it.

Gurcharn says he uses painstaking cleaning methods to make £1 million supercars look almost better than new.

He's worked on Bugatti Veyrons, McLaren F1s, F1 GTRs and Pagani Zondas.

At his specially-equipped garage Gurcharn told Newsbeat, "a full treatment here costs around £7,000". ($12,144.19 AU or $10,621.45 US)

"For that kind of service I'll spend around four weeks working on a car."

"We have various different processes that we put the car through," he said.

"First is a complete wash with pH neutral shampoo and citrus degreasers, which is essentially orange extract.

"We use different temperature water, from 40C to 140C depending on the area of the car.

Gurcharn has to use special towels and an extra powerful hair dryer to make the vehicle ready for the next stage of cleaning.

"Then it's decontamination using clay bars to get rid of things like tree sap, tar and air pollutants."

Incredibly, it's important to remove scratches and marks that are barely visible to the naked eye.

Gurcharn said: "I use an electrical scanner to work out the depth of the paint work to 1/1000th of an inch.

"That way I know how deep I can go with ultra fine sandpaper and polish."

Some of the tools, equipment and products he uses are the most expensive in the world.

Natural wax imported from Brazil at more than £8,000 per tin takes pride of place on his trolley.

As for customers Gurcharn's work takes him all over Europe and beyond.

"Sometimes if one of my customers calls up from the Middle East they'll fly me out there business class.

"All my kit will come with me and I can spend anything from a couple of days out there to several weeks."

Currently, he's working on the classic Porsche 911.

"The owner has driven it over especially from Paris and is staying in a local hotel while I work on it for two days."

As for accusations that no car service, no matter how much effort goes into it, can be worth what he charges he's still proud of the work he does.

"If you give me a new car I can make it look better.

"If one of my customers wants to respray a million pound car it could cost them up to £100,000.

"Give it to me for a couple of weeks, I'll charge a fraction of the price and it will look even better."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10700893
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Re: Car wash sir?

Post by Crackpot »

For that kind of work he only gets business class?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

dales

Post by dales »

Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, not obsessed over.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

here's some work for him!
Metallic paint remains one of the great ways for car companies to add a few extra bucks to the price of a car.

Most brands these days only offer limited non-metallic paint options, sometimes only one.

BMW though, has taken special paint to the next level of absurdity, with its very limited edition "Frozen Grey" M3 in the US. Only 30 examples of the special hue will be offered but not until customers agree to take care of it.

According to BMW fan website Bimmerfest, the company is making would-be customers sign paperwork that compels them to look after the Frozen Grey paint.

Owners are apparently compelled to immediately remove any dead bugs or bird poo with a soft sponge and have to promise never to polish or wax the car, take it through an automatic car wash or even rub it too hard during cleaning.

If the customer doesn't agree, they are not allowed to buy the car.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/clea ... 10n75.html
Lunacy!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I agree with dales 100%.
Bah!