Insured?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Insured?

Post by Gob »

A learner driver has been quoted a staggering £17,000 ($26,509.49 USD / $29,745.33 AU) to insure his £2,000 Vauxhall Corsa.

Student James Hayes, who turns 17 next week, saved for months to buy his modest one-litre car but has been astonished at the sky-high quotes for insurance.

He will have to work flat out over the summer to pay the premiums.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0v19PIClh
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Re: Insured?

Post by dales »

What kind of ins?

Full coverage or just liability?

Get a diffferent quote.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The kid himself says that he was able to get another quote for £2,257, so why is this a story?

Who cares that the car only cost £2,000, what drives the premium is the likelihood that the driver is going to end up a quadripalegic requiring life long care, or is going to turn someone that he/she injures into one (or incur/inflict some other serious and expensive injury). And, as the article states, that is ten times more likely to happen to a 17 year old as it is to the average driver. So either (a) wait a few years before buying a car, or (b) pay and STFU.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

In Australia, if he registers the car (which he should do as it's compulsory) he would get third party insurance included for his $780.00 or £449.31, saving hi a substantial amount.

Any idea how much he'd pay in the US / Canada?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

It depends on the type and amount of coverage, the deductibles, and the state and its regulations. For my 2001 Volvo, with top of the line coverage including collision and comprehensive, the lowest possible deductibles, and some group affinity discount (through my law school alumni association), a spotless record, and a female homeowner (all of which factor into the calculations) I pay about $1200/year in Massachusetts. In DC, for a similar car and the same coverage I paid $800/year.

For a 17-year old male, I'd guess he would pay double.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just gone up again, they really do have you by the balls!
Car insurance premiums are being pushed up by almost a third due to rising levels of fraud, experts warned today.

The average comprehensive policy costs 30 per cent more this year than last, according to AA Insurance.

It is the biggest increase since the company’s records began 16 years ago, with younger drivers facing even steeper price rises.

Premiums for those under 30 have soared by 11.5 per cent in the last three months alone.

But the young have also been found more likely to make a false insurance claim.

A separate survey for moneysupermarket.com found that 5 per cent of motorists under 35 have staged an accident to make a fraudulent claim and 15 per cent would consider doing so.

The Association of British Insurers recently said that insurers uncovered £410million-worth of fraudulent motor insurance claims during 2009 – and the AA said increased fraud is a central reason for rising premiums.

Simon Douglas, director of AA Insurance, said: ‘The evidence from moneysupermarket.com, suggesting that thousands of people are attempting to try “cash for crash” scams themselves – perhaps to get someone else to pay for past damage or to make a claim for non-existent whiplash injury – is deeply worrying.’

The group said other types of fraud, such as fronting, where a named driver is in fact the main driver, withholding information, and lying about where a car is kept or what the driver’s occupation as, were all also on the rise.

But Mr Douglas said insurers were getting ‘wise’ to the way fraudsters can manipulate price comparison sites and introducing new technology to catch them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0yVysuDrX

dales

Post by dales »

Mine has been going down (over 55 years old auto ins) and will continure to do so (sans any claims) until I reach 65. Then it will continue to inch upward until the premiums I pay are worth more than the old heap that I drive.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Any idea how much he'd pay in the US / Canada?
My son has been paying upwards of $4000 on his chevy cobalt (2006, new when he bought it). $1000 deductable, glass and liability. He turns 25 this month and should then be paying 1/2 to 2/3 that amount. He also pays $2500 on his motorcycle with only liability on it. No breaks on that until he's 28. I only pay $250 on my motorcycle with $500 deductable and liability.