Let's get ripped!

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Let's get ripped!

Post by Gob »

Ok, techno geeks... :ugeek:

Youtube has thousands of rare and sometimes unique music videos on it.

Is it possible to download these, and convert to a format which will play on a bog standard DVD player?

Also, is it possible to rip the music from them to be played on a standard mp3 or CD player?

What programs will I need, and do they require the techical skills and abilities above those of the average newt?

A word of warning. You may make a life long enemy of the Hen by answering this thread.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Re: Let's get ripped!

Post by The Hen »

I thought this was a thread about weight-lifting, not shirt-lifting.

Exits: Stage left
Bah!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The easiest (free) way I have found to do this is using RealPlayer.

Download the free version of RealPlayer. (Do NOT pay for the dubious privilege of activating RealPlayer Plus.)

Be careful when installing - it will try to get you to make RP your default player for various audio and video formats, don't do it if you don't want to, be careful which tick boxes you do and do not check.

At some point you will be asked if you want a free preview of SuperPass - you do want to do this, because it will activate certain features of RP you will need to do what you want to do.

Whenever you watch a video over the internet, you will get a thingy in the top right corner that says "download this video" - you want to click on that. This will start your download. You don't have to watch the video all the way through for the download to proceed, you can even navigate away from the video, start another one, and download it simultaneously (after a while, bandwidth will become an issue which will slow all the downloads down).

I am sure there is a step, either in the install process or perhaps accessible from some menu, where you can specify the folder you want the downloads to be saved.

In the download dialogue box, you can click on the "View Library" button to go to the list of all your downloads, or do so by clicking on the library tab when you open RealPlayer.

The videos are saved in .ivr format, which is unique to RP. To my knowledge there is nothing you can do to convert them to another format, although you can burn them to a DVD so long as you watch them in RP (if your TV is hooked up to your computer as a second monitor, e.g.)

You can rip the music from them to play in mp3 format - right click on the video name in the library, click on "convert to..." which will open the RP Converter. Click on the "convert to" box which will open a box where you can select a device, choose MP3 (or any of the other formats if you like). Click on the "details" box next to MP3 which will allow you to select the quality and whether you want to use variable bit rate. For YouTube, anything over 128bit (and maybe even lower) is probably a waste. Now that they are saved in MP# format you can transfer them to your MP3 player or burn to CD or whatever like any other MP3.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cheers mate!

Bit stuck on that as we do not have a compueter rigged to the TV, but it's a start..
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My sense of most stuff on youtube is that the quality isn't such that it's worth watching on a big screen, unless there's a HD version.

Doing what you want would require software that would capture the video from the net, and convert it from the Flash Player version used by YouTube into something that could be read by a DVD player. I'm sure it must exist, but...
Last edited by Scooter on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Tubetilla lets you rip it to mp3. I dunno bout the test. Oh, there's a free one and one that costs.

Have a look. http://download.cnet.com/TubeTilla/3000 ... 22176.html

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanls @-W, I'll check that out.
Scooter wrote:My sense of most stuff on youtube is that the quality isn't such that it's worth watching on a big screen, unless there's a HD version.
I agree with you, but as some of it is so rare as to be unobtainable in any other form, it's my only chance of having a copy.

This, for instance, was probably ripped from someone's old VHS recording of The Sound On "The Old Grey WhistleTest".

It's a favourite of mine, and seeing as, not long after that performance the singer, Adrian Boreland, threw himself in front of a train killing himeslf, there's not likely to be a tour.

Sean

Post by Sean »

There is a website where you can enter the URL of a youtube video and it'll download it for you... I'll dig it out.

Then you can use a program like 'convert x to dvd' which will convert and burn your dvds with nice menus, chapters, etc.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cheers Sean!

Sean

Post by Sean »

Here you go...

http://keepvid.com

Convert x to DVD can easily be found to downlad as a torrent.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cheers Sean mate!

Plenty fo options then, nice :)

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

dales

Post by dales »

Getting ripped?

No thanks, I don't do drugz

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

There's a couple sites like this one out there that will extract the mp3 file from a youtube link and give you a download link for it.