I for one Welcome our New Robotic Overlords

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

I for one Welcome our New Robotic Overlords

Post by Bicycle Bill »

540 robots — and some drones — perform a dance routine in perfect sync.
(It was originally intended to only use 240 of these guys, but what the hell — let's blow the wow-factor meter completely off the scale!)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys- ... 022395.gif
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Re: I for one Welcome our New Robotic Overlords

Post by BoSoxGal »

That's pretty cool - but did they make all those robots just for that performance? If so, what waste! :?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

I For One Welcome Our New Robotic Overlords

Post by RayThom »

Amazing! Let's hear it for diversity in the workplace... 540 gay robots.

Do they do show tunes, too?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Thats an animation ,right ?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

kmccune wrote:Thats an animation ,right ?
km, follow the link I provided (it's above the link to the YouTube video) and the links contained within the article that comes up, and answer your own question.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I hadn't checked the link before; it led me to your comment which leads me to ask - why not share that lovely avatar here, instead of worst avatar ever? :shrug ;) :D
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:I hadn't checked the link before; it led me to your comment which leads me to ask - why not share that lovely avatar here, instead of worst avatar ever? :shrug ;) :D
I tried to use it when I first signed up and it wouldn't take; the file was too big, apparently, because I got this message:
"The submitted avatar is 163 pixels wide and 138 pixels high.  Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 160 pixels wide and 160 pixels high."
And I don't know how to resize it in order to shorten it by 3 pixels.

I've got a couple of other things I might be able to do as a work-around, though, so "The World's Worst Avatar" may end up being retired/replaced anyway.
-"BB"-
Last edited by Bicycle Bill on Sat May 21, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

http://www.picresize.com/

It's a very simple tool, even an old guy can use it. ;)

Avatars here can be no larger than 21.48kb and 160 x 160 pixels - you can choose 'custom size' when you use the tool, enter those numbers and you're good to go. :ok

eta: Make sure you download the resulting file to your computer, then upload it here - can't use url links in the avatar field.
~ Carl Sagan

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Didnt try, links dont always work on my setup due to security issues and whatever ,looks like a Computer animation to me . Hard to imagine anyone would waste that mush money on single purpose robots (the crooner had a nice voice however ) :shrug
Nice Avatar BSG , very easy on the eyes.

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Well I did watch the link finally ,seems like it was a Chinese propaganda deal ,eh? CA has matured to such a level it is hard to distinguish reality from the imaginary on a screen .(what language is the Guy singing in ,Mandarin ?-He has a wonderful voice )

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Pepper the robot wants to be your friend. It can listen to you, can tell when you're feeling down, dance, and follow you around — all on its own. Next year, Pepper is coming to America.

In the meantime, Pepper is already making friends with one of the world's most famous astrophysicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

At the Clinton Global Initiative's "The Future of Global Impact" conference on Monday, Pepper hugged it out with Tyson, an astrophysicist at the Natural Museum of History and the host of "Cosmos" and "Star Talk," who was moderating the event.

But before it can take over the US, Pepper needs to get to know us better. To better fit in with its new audience, Pepper's creators are giving the robot's manners an American makeover.

When the "emotional" robot debuted in Japan earlier this year— selling for $2000 American dollars — it sold out in under a minute. Japanese consumers were eager to get their own personal robot buddies, outfitted to understand the ins and outs of Japanese culture. In Japan, Pepper bows and "is much more silly and cute," Aldebaran Robotics communications manager Alia Pyros told MIT Technology Review.
http://www.techinsider.io/american-vers ... oon-2015-9
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"...selling for $2000 American dollars"
Considering there are people willing to pay almost a thousand dollars for a smartphone (retail price for an iPhone 6S+ w/128 GB memory is $949), if they can keep it at that price point we're going to be up to our earlobes in companion robots.
On the plus side, maybe we can finally eliminate the questionable use of so-called 'companion animals'
(note: 'companion animals', not 'service animals')
-"BB"-

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Hey, BoSoxGal — it worked!!!  Thanks!!
Definitely gonna put that tool's url someplace where I won't lose it anytime soon.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok happy to help!
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:http://www.picresize.com/

It's a very simple tool, even an old guy can use it. ;)
I can't ever seem to get the site to load.

If I'm using Chrome, I get
This site can’t be reached

http://www.picresize.com took too long to respond.
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
If I'm using Firefox I get
The connection has timed out

The server at http://www.picresize.com is taking too long to respond.

● The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
● If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
● If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
(yeah, I tried temporarily turning off my security program's firewall)

If I'm using Internet Explorer I get
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

● Internet connectivity has been lost.
● The website is temporarily unavailable.
● The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
● The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
● There might be a typing error in the address.
● If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
If I'm using MS Edge (on my laptop, where I've upgraded to Windows 10) I get
Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this

● Make sure you've got the right web address: http://www.picresize.com

● Refresh the page

● Search for what you want
:shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Here you go Econo, I've done it for you:

http://i.picresize.com/images/2016/05/23/LEU6J.jpg

No need to thank me; consider it a community service... 8-)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Tue May 24, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:ok Thanks, Jim...and you're right: that was a real community service. As you can tell from my previous post, I really did try, many times, in many different ways, to go to picresize.com and do it myself; I still have no idea why I can't get there.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You know you can resize any picture in the comfort of your own home? Just copy the image to Pictures; open in Paint; resize and save. Paint allows resizing by pixel.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts