mockingbird

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
wesw

mockingbird

Post by wesw »

there was a mocking bird up in my walnut tree yesterday morning about 7 am.....

I listened in total awe and almost ecstasy for about 10 minutes .....

the most amazing thing was, that in addition to the multitude of bird sounds that the little fellow was emitting, he would throw in the sounds od distant crows and seagulls, just under his breath....

he would throw in a very soft "caw caw" of the crow, then a quiet "eee eee eee" of a seagull....., and he did it in such a manner that they sounded far away.... just barely audible, contrasting with his other louder imitations....

....and hilariously, he would throw in an occasional "bawk bawk bawk" of a chicken....

one of the most beautiful things that I have ever heard..., and he was right over my head....

at my previous residence we had a mockingbird that would sit on the powerline across the street every year, but he was far enough away that I didn t hear the soft calls that he was likely making too...

it is a small thing, I know, but it made me happy.....

RayThom

Mockingbird

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:... it is a small thing, I know, but it made me happy.....
Plus one YUGE thing.

Bless your little heart -- for such a deep thinker it's obvious you're easily amused.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

oldr_n_wsr

Re: mockingbird

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Don't get too close to it's nest. They will dive bomb you.
I have one in the aborvitae on the side of my property and have to be careful when mowing the lawn or weedwacking in that area.

And they are like Popeye the sailor muttering under their breath.
:mrgreen:

kmccune

Re: mockingbird

Post by kmccune »

I try to get them to mock me ,the ones around moms house used to do the electronic phone ringer .I watched a "catbird " trying to catrch a large grasshopper flying through the air ,loop thr loop ,turn for turn,finally the bird gave up and the bird lit on a post.I t seems like there are a lot of threshers and mockingbirds in Piedmont and Tidewater VA,.
Glad you got to enjoy nature,to often we" cut all the trees and pave paradise".