WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
RayThom

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Re: WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

Post by Long Run »

If ever there was a misused term, an abused term even, it would be "upgrade" as used by MS.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I've no problems with Win10, it runs everything I want.

I just wish there were ways of removing the bits I don't need/like.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:I've no problems with Win10, it runs everything I want.
I just wish there were ways of removing the bits I don't need/like.
That's how I feel. Once I got over my anxiety of dumping Win/XP for Win/10 I learned to get quite comfortable with it. Everything I need is there, and then some.

The "upgrade" is supposed to make it even easier.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Define "easier". :mrgreen:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I took my computer into the Best Buy last week to get it a once-over.  I'd been having some problems with things slowing down, scripts that would stall, and my Kaspersky kept sending me messages that I wasn't fully up-to-date, so I had the Geek Squad give it a once-over and flush out some of the unnecessary things that had found their way into it.  I'd also been getting messages that I had less than a week to upgrade to Windows 10 for free; I had been resisting it based on various articles and comments I'd been reading on the web.  Yeah, I know about web comments; there's always going to be someone who hates something "just because", and tech-geek discussion boards are hardly 'neutral' ground.

So I asked the Geek who took the computer in about the advantages of loading Win10 into my going-on-4-year-old HP Pavilion g7, which is currently using an Intel i3 chip and Windows 7 — figuring that by now they'd have seen plenty of the upgrade and any potential problems, and could speak from a position of authority.  He told me that based on what I was using the computer for an upgrade to Win10 was not really necessary.  He went on to say that the system itself would use up a little more of my hard drive storage and that in his own opinion the i3 chip, while it was good at the time, was not the best match for the demands made by the new software.  He also pointed out that the computer was an older model, and by the time Microsoft finally stopped supporting Win7 I'd have probably replaced the computer for something better anyway, something that would have come with a fully up-to-date, fully de-bugged version of Win10.  And when I picked up the computer a day later, the other Geek I spoke to was also not real enthusiastic about replacing the Win7 system; about the best thing he could say was that I probably wouldn't really notice any difference.

So I took a pass on it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about 6 months ago or so on my 4-year-old ASUS laptop (Intel Core i7 processor, if that makes a difference, I don't even know). No real problems once you get used to the slightly re-organized icons and folders. Didn't lose anything and all the programs I had been running work just fine. I understand the resistance to change, as I never saw anything wrong with Win7, but it's really not that big a deal.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Love my Mac.....
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have a 4 year old Samsung computer and Windows 7 is working fine; I've avoided the upgrade, although I will admit that I do know a number who have upgraded and haven't had any problems. My main concern is the adaptability of it to the programs and applications I use.

Guin--we have macs at home, but they are starting to get bad as well. We recently had to replace my wife's desktop because Mac will not support the OS it had (and it was upgraded several times), and the system did not meet the requirements of the upgrade. otherwise it still was in pretty good shape, but a lot of the apps wouldn't work.

I also didn't appreciate mac no longer putting a DVD drive in the new computer (maybe in the towers, but not in the one she bought)--how much could they possibly save by doing that? As someone who likes to keep things on DVDs and doesn't like downloading programs over the internet, it annoyed me.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This reminds me of the conversations I used to read from people who weren't going to upgrade from Windows 95 to Windows 98. I wonder how that worked out?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I didn't care much for how the upgrade itself went. My computer would start and shut down reasonably quickly when I first installed Win 7; by the time I upgraded it was taking ridiculous amounts of time and occasionally the start up or shut down would fail. I put this down to all of the garbage that the operating system had accumulated over the years. with who knows how many thousands of registry entries which were not cleanly removed when programs were updated or replaced. So I wanted to run a clean install, saving only my data files and purging all of the software, which would also be replaced cleanly from disks or downloads. From Windows 7 you cannot run a clean install of Windows 10 right off the bat; you have to run an installation that preserves all of the Windows 7 system files and incorporates most of its settings into Windows 10. Once that is done, you can run a clean install.

After the first install, I noticed no improvement in performance. Then I ran the clean install, and start up and shut down were somewhat better, but having seen how quickly Windows 8 started and shut down, I expected much better. I was seeing a number of system errors logged, and One day I tried to turn on the computer and got a blank screen, which a computer tech later told me was the operating system failing to start due to corruption. His version of a clean install was to format the disk and start from scratch. Start up and shut down are much faster, and I haven't seen any other problems. Which tells me that even a so-called clean install is not really clean, a lesson that cost me $125.

Therear a few features that bother me, and I suspect most of them arose from trying to meld a Windows 7-type interface onto a Windows 8-like platform. For example, it is difficult to find things because there is no apparent rational to consistently distinguish functions accessible through the control panel vs. those in the settings vs. those in the apps list. It's far from intuitive
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

For Petes sake give us something we like and are willing to pay for and leave it the fuck alone! :arg

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

XP is still the best OS I ever worked with.
(haven't upgraded to 10 yet although teh pc yells at me every time I turn it on.

RayThom

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

Post by RayThom »

... Anniversary Edition. (Win/10, V. 1607)
Last night I downloaded the upgrade and from start to finish it took about four hours to complete the task. (2.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6500U) It runs through a series of restarts that you think will never end. So far, so good. It has moved some applications around but nothing that is too hard to figure out.

If I find anything that appears really strange I'll post it here.

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Old'r -have to agree .

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:evil: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE "CONTROL PANEL" THAT USED TO BE ACCESSIBLE FROM "START"?????

kmccune wrote:For Petes sake give us something we like and are willing to pay for and leave it the fuck alone! :arg
^THIS
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote::evil: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE "CONTROL PANEL" THAT USED TO BE ACCESSIBLE FROM "START"?????

kmccune wrote:For Petes sake give us something we like and are willing to pay for and leave it the fuck alone! :arg
^THIS
Isn't it "Settings" or somesuch?

I hated Windows 8 and I'm not fond of 10 either. Give me my XP back!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I've found that using the search feature (the magnifying glass to the right of the Start menu) is more useful now than the menu and much better than digging around to find features. Just type in 'Control Panel'.

In regards to the new upgrade, on Tuesday at 8:30 pm I began the process. The computer ran all night and at 5:00 am Wednesday it was still running and the screen said "91% complete". It stayed at that number until 9:00 am so I stopped the download. I don't know when I might try again.

I still like my Mac much better because it seems much more logical. In my opinion, Windows 10 is very good but it's not very great.

RayThom

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE...

Post by RayThom »

STEP #1: In the "ask me anything" box at the lower left of your screen carefully type in the following code: "control panel" -- with no quote marks.

STEP #2: See STEP #1

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What "ask me anything" box? What magnifying glass?

I've found you have to pin everything to the er.... task bar at the bottom? Otherwise it vanishes and you have to hunt thru Apps to find it.

F. My "File Explorer" insists on vanishing from the er... task bar at the bottom. It's the only way to find Documents damn it
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts