Mower improvements

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
kmccune

Mower improvements

Post by kmccune »

After I was repairing my crashed riding mower ,I noticed a large buildup of rotten grass on the mowing deck underside (have had to mow wet grass several times this year )(the rotting grass was even infested with Nematodes ) It is very hard to remove this mowing deck and its hard to clean ,how come the manufacturers cannot produce composite mowing decks or put a "degrassing boot "(like an airplanes deicing boot on the deck underside ,that would inflate a certain amount and shed the grass on demand ?
I think the answer to many grass woes are a herd of grazing animals .(someone feel free to add humorous picture ) :ok

Crackpot

Re: Mower improvements

Post by Crackpot »

Cost?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

After I was repairing my crashed riding mower
That's what you get for getting loaded and going out joy riding on it kmc... :D
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Some of the newer mowers have a hose spiggot attached to the deck so you can "wash" the under-deck without have to detach it or crawl on your hands and knees to spray under it.

I usually raise the deck and hose out under it after each mowing, especially if the grass is wet. If it was a dry cut, I sometimes use the leaf blower.

Any kind of "bladder" that would inflate would end up punctured after not too long.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

And after cleaning the deck (Sometime it takes a big old screw driver to scrape down to the metal) spray it with WD-40. For a while I tried no-stick cooking spray, but WD40 works as good or better, and is cheaper.

Snail gate (apartment dweller who now has those problems in the rear view mirror, but I still have a snow shovel.)

Gob

Post by Gob »

If I ever needed a ride on mower I'd get a smaller garden.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Funny and practical ,I imagine there could be a very tough boot ,(it wouldnt have to move much,the real problem I had besides the wreck(you ought seen what happened to me when I took a Zolpidem and tried to make the mowing end with the pill kicking in(for one thing ,I ran through the punkin'patch ,hit the pine tree ,then decided to park it)usually do pretty good eniberated if the neighbors dont mind the singing(I am probably mowing over 2 acres of grass and I dont like it .The real problem I had this year (besides the wreck) was having(due to time constraints and inclement weather) was having to mow when the grass was wet and sometimes in the rain,If I had a composite mowing deck a little grass wouldnt hurt anything ,but I must admit the nematodes were disgusting and the rotten grass stank.The almost new mower I gave my Nephew for doing a job for me ,had the place to attach the water hose and on this partricular mower it was almost useless .An old acquaintence of mine once said"if it takes longer then 10-15 minutes to push mow ,your yard is too big ".I have to agree .I would be happy without any yard to mow :lol:

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

spray it with WD-40. For a while I tried no-stick cooking spray, but WD40 works as good or better, and is cheaper.
Yes it does. I do the wd40 when I put the deck on in the spring. In the late fall/early winter, when I take off the deck and put on the plow, I clean the deck then wipe it down with regular motor oil. Same with the plaw in the spring.

I've had the tractor and attachments since 1996. It has served me well in all seasons.
I take care of it, it takes care of me.

On a seperate note, I had gotten an electric planer ( for christmas) and finally had hte opportunity to use it this weekend. After practicing on some spare wood, it is a great tool. Makes nice clean edges, trims door edges so they no longer stick in the jam and open/close nicely.
Made a countertop for the daughter and was able to trim the edges straight and true. I couldn't get my tablesaw and bench planer out of my basement and over to her house so I cut things with a circular saw (which I really should have put a new blade on). The planer did quick work of cleaning up the edges.
New tools, new toys, life doesn't get any better. :mrgreen:

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

The only time I ever cleaned grass from my 20 year old 54" Husqvarna mower's deck was when I replaced the belt several years ago. Why bother? It's just going to fill up with grass again.

For those who want to get under their mowers, have you seen the Mo-Jack?
http://www.themojack.com/ I think Harbor Fright has a knock off, but I'd be scared to get under it.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

That's interesting. I could use my mc/quad jack the same way. Won't go as high, but would probably work.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I thought Mower Improvements was another film by Spike Lee
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Mower Improvements

Post by RayThom »

I was thinking "Mo' Money" starring Damon Wayans.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol:

I was thinking this one:

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

How about ,"the mo' ,the merrier ?" or "Mo ' rain ,mo' rest" .Contemplatig a new Poulan 54" next year (made by Husky ) The Dr visit didnt turn out the very best yesterday ,may not need it so it goes . :shrug

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Damn, what's wrong? (you don't have to answer if you don't want to).
:(