Frankenswine

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Frankenswine

Post by Gob »

Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid in a milestone study that raises the prospect of being able to grow human organs inside animals for use in transplants.

It marks the first time that embryos combining two large, distantly-related species have been produced. The creation of this so-called chimera – named after the cross-species beast of Greek mythology – has been hailed as a significant first step towards generating human hearts, livers and kidneys from scratch.

Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte, who led the work on the part-pig, part-human embryos at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, said: “The ultimate goal is to grow functional and transplantable tissue or organs, but we are far away from that. This is an important first step.”

The study has reignited ethical concerns that have threatened to overshadow the field’s clinical promise. The work inevitably raises the spectre of intelligent animals with humanised brains and also the potential for bizarre hybrid creatures to be accidentally released into the wild. The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) placed a moratorium on funding for the controversial experiments last year while these risks were considered.

Izpisua Belmonte said that fears around chimeras were inspired largely by mythology rather than the realities of meticulously controlled experiments. But he acknowledged: “The idea of having an animal being born composing of human cells creates some feelings that need to be addressed.”
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Frankenswine

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"A person's a person, no matter how small." .... Dr. Seuss

An animal with human body parts and/or DNA?  Here in America it will be argued that it is homicide to harvest it for its organs, and considering its human qualities it would be declared to be an individual with civil rights, voting privileges, and the ability to make unrestricted donations to politicians.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I've bookmarked your Drumpf administration countdown clock BB. I can't wait to find a good place to use it.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Go serve as a liberal voice over at usmessageboard - we have a duty to try to deprogram those conservative idiots over there, I think. ;) (It's hard to be there for long, imagine wesw x1000.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Beer Sponge

Post by Beer Sponge »

Tastes like chicken.
Personally, I don’t believe in bros before hoes, or hoes before bros. There needs to be a balance. A homie-hoe-stasis, if you will.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid
I thought Fred and Mary Anne had already accomplished that feat?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

No Meade: that is a pig-human hybrid. You always list the primary ingredient first.