Steve Wozniak doesn't want to be addicted to his phone

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Steve Wozniak doesn't want to be addicted to his phone

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak says the Apple Watch is his 'favorite piece of technology in the world' because he doesn't want to be addicted to his phone.  Speaking with Bloomberg Television, he said the watch gives him less of a reason to use his phone and therefore prevents him from being addicted to it.

Wozniak says he typically uses his computer when he's checking email or keeping up with the news and uses the watch when he's on the go.  "And then I move to the watch and pretty much skip the phone," he said.  "I'm not one of these people that wants to be like an addict."

The Apple Watch has slowly become an increasingly important product for Apple in recent years.  Sales of products in Apple's wearables, home, and accessories division, which includes the Apple Watch, have surpassed that of the iPad and are closing in on the Mac, according to the company's most recent earnings report.
(excerpted from Business Insider / August 31, 2019)
I accept that the day is rapidly coming — if it's not already here — when people will do everything on an iPhone except talk to someone, or an Apple Watch gets used for everything except telling time.  So someone tell me ... are these devices still actually phones or watches, or are they something else?  If you accept current thinking and usage ("Of course it's a phone or a watch!  It just does so much more!"), then by that same line of logic, one could just as easily claim that since a Boeing 787 Dreamliner can also roll along the ground it is actually nothing more than a big-assed bus that coincidentally can be used to fly.

Yeah, you can take pictures, surf the web, send text messages, and broadcast your mug to someone via your D⃥i⃥c⃥k⃥ ⃥T⃥r⃥a⃥c⃥y⃥ ⃥T⃥w⃥o⃥-⃥W⃥a⃥y⃥ ⃥W⃥r⃥i⃥s⃥t⃥-⃥R⃥a⃥d⃥i⃥o⃥/⃥T⃥V⃥  iPhone and Apple Watch, just as you can drive a nail (after a fashion) by banging on it with the back end of a screwdriver handle or the closed head of a crescent wrench.  But isn't it safer, quicker, and easier to use a hammer?  Or is it just me, and I'm that far back in the dark ages when a tool was designed to do a specific job, and a person used the proper tool to do that job?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Re: Steve Wozniak doesn't want to be addicted to his phone

Post by Long Run »

I'm with you BB, of all the things my iPhone does, it is least effective as a phone (always use a land line if I have one available). Obviously, they are mini-computers first and voice communication is about 10th on the list of what they do (texting, camera, web browser, weather, GPS, email, clock, calendar, exercise tracker; and depending on use, music, games, entertainment center controller, etc.).

Lord Jim

Re: Steve Wozniak doesn't want to be addicted to his phone

Post by Lord Jim »

Steve Wozniak says the Apple Watch is his 'favorite piece of technology in the world' because he doesn't want to be addicted to his phone. Speaking with Bloomberg Television, he said the watch gives him less of a reason to use his phone and therefore prevents him from being addicted to it.
So instead of being addicted to his phone, he'd rather be addicted to his watch? :shrug

I suspect that what Wozniak is genuinely addicted to is ever growing personal wealth, a craving which increased Apple Watch sales would help to satisfy...
ImageImageImage