Size doesn't matter ... or does it?

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Size doesn't matter ... or does it?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The "TITANIC"
... in it's day, the largest, most luxurious ship ever built and the largest object capable of movement under its own power.

Royal Caribbean's "Symphony of the Seas":  "Hey, somebody, hold my beer."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Size doesn't matter ... or does it?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Modern cruise ships are the ugliest things to ever float. I don't think you could pay me to go on one of those.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

https://tintanicmodelship.weebly.com/

Visited it at the Garden Route Mall in George yesterday. It's looking a bit moth-eaten.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:25 pm
Modern cruise ships are the ugliest things to ever float. I don't think you could pay me to go on one of those.
I am awaiting the restoration of the SS United States for my first ocean cruise.
GAH!

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
I am awaiting the restoration of the SS United States for my first ocean cruise.
I was down along the waterfront last year to bring my mother-in-law to an appointment. That thing is a huge rust bucket parked there. It would be great for it to be restored because it was an awesome ship, but I'm not overly hopeful.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

eddieq wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:56 pm
I was down along the waterfront last year to bring my mother-in-law to an appointment. That thing is a huge rust bucket parked there. It would be great for it to be restored because it was an awesome ship, but I'm not overly hopeful.
I have been looking at it for literally decades. I can't imagine why it's taken so long to do anything, because who wouldn't want to cruise on that ship? It embodies everything about the glory days of ocean crossings. The Queen Mary 2 is still in business (did you see "Let Them All Talk" on HBOMax? The ship has as big a role as Meryl Streep). Once I've retired and time is no longer a factor, I'd love to make a transatlantic crossing on a real ocean-liner.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Back in the day (1950, 1960s) I crossed the Atlantic five times on Cunarders (RMS Caronia, Media, Carinthia [twice)] and Queen Elizabeth) and once on Canadian Pacific's RMS Empress of Scotland. My father's company had transferred him to Mexico City (1955 to 1956 IIRC) and Montreal (1957 to 1961) so they paid for first class ocean travel for the family and a trip home every second year.

For a kid this was heaven. We went all over the ship: up on the bridge, into the engine rooms, first class or second class - no-one bothered - I assume that I slept in our cabin every night but I didn't see much of my parents during the day and they assumed that I hadn't fallen over the side. I loved being on deck, the windier the better. For some reason I was immune to seasickness. Hungry? Find a restaurant, sit down, and someone will bring you a menu. Thirsty? Find a deckchair, sit down, and someone will bring you a ginger ale. Standing at the bow with your gang a la Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet in Titanic to see who could be first to spot Lady Liberty's torch and the NYC skyline on the horizon. Some of the best memories of my childhood; but it's a way of life which is, sadly, gone forever.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:14 pm
eddieq wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:56 pm
I have been looking at it for literally decades. I can't imagine why it's taken so long to do anything, because who wouldn't want to cruise on that ship? It embodies everything about the glory days of ocean crossings. The Queen Mary 2 is still in business (did you see "Let Them All Talk" on HBOMax? The ship has as big a role as Meryl Streep). Once I've retired and time is no longer a factor, I'd love to make a transatlantic crossing on a real ocean-liner.
The QM2 is relatively young for an ocean liner. My uncle has been on her multiple times, and loves that ship. I think I’d rather just get there quickly and enjoy time in the gardens, the castles, the cities, along the sea.

Watched the movie, thought it was a bit of a snoozer, and did not make good enough use of it’s amazing cast.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
While I agree they are ugly, if you are on them, you don't have to look at them, and there's more space for you and 5000 of your friends (and a few thousand crew members).

Sue--I have to agree with Guin; while I might enjoy an "adventure" cruise to Antarctica, I have been on two cruises on smaller ships before these behemoths became the rage, and that was more than enough for me. I think there are people who love cruises (like my father and my wife) and people who can't stand them (like me).

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 pm
I think I’d rather just get there quickly
Didn't you ever hear that half the fun is in getting there?
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:37 pm
Sue--I have to agree with Guin; while I might enjoy an "adventure" cruise to Antarctica, I have been on two cruises on smaller ships before these behemoths became the rage, and that was more than enough for me. I think there are people who love cruises (like my father and my wife) and people who can't stand them (like me).
Well, I have never been on a cruise so I don't know how I feel about them yet, although I'm not in any rush to go.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sue U wrote:
I thought it was all about the journey.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Guinevere wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 pm
I think I’d rather just get there quickly
Maybe. But if it’s a choice between being cooped up in a floating hotel, or an extra week in Provence, I know what I’d choose.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Anyone taken the Alaskan cruise? We are talking that and a trip to Ireland when covid waters recede.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 pm
Anyone taken the Alaskan cruise? We are talking that and a trip to Ireland when covid waters recede.
My brother's wife took an Alaskan cruise with her mother back in the 90s. The ship caught fire and so they decided to terminate the cruise. I'm not sure if I gave anything away by telling you that. That might be part of the adventure.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
My brother's wife took an Alaskan cruise with her mother back in the 90s. The ship caught fire and so they decided to terminate the cruise. I'm not sure if I gave anything away by telling you that. That might be part of the adventure.
Thank you Mr. Sunshine.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Around the turn of century, Congress signed off on some regulations under (among other laws) the Clean Water Act that would affect cruise liners on the Alaska run. There things are essentially small cities with sewage and kitchen waste and dry cleaners and dishwashers and all the rest. There is solid waste too: glass and metals and paper and plastic and general junk. And of course oil and fuel and bilge waste from operations. Even ballast water - used to help stability - can be harmful if it contains plankton and bacteria native to the area where it is taken on but not to the place where it is discharged.

Until then, cruise liners were just putting this into the sea, and especially along the Alaska panhandle coast there is not a lot of water circulation. We had a project with one of the major cruise lines to look at their waste streams and advise on how to meet the regs. Unfortunately in my case this was all desk work. I think a couple of our guys had to go to sea to observe some aspects of the waste treatment and storage systems.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 pm
Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Thank you Mr. Sunshine.
Seriously, though, if you pick the right ship, I'm sure you will have a great and memorable time.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

You-all can have all the ocean adventures you want.

Me, I'm waiting for the pandemic to end so I can use my retirement time and money to take a couple of long-distance train rides out to and along the California coast.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

Bicycle Bill.....that's the ticket!

Get a roomette and watch nature's beauty glide by.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato