Size doesn't matter ... or does it?

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Re: Size doesn't matter ... or does it?

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Well, I have never been on a cruise so I don't know how I feel about them yet, although I'm not in any rush to go.

Me neither, my idea of hell.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

dales wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:55 am
Bicycle Bill.....that's the ticket!

Get a roomette and watch nature's beauty glide by.
I've known people who had done this and there are things to be aware of and to avoid. Much of the scenery is lost to night-time, and Amtrak seems to specialize in having the best views go by unseen, while relatively boring flatlands are the day-time vista. There are lots of stops and time marches on slowly. And, avoid going in the summer, as the trains are full of parents giving their kids the old time experience of riding the rails -- the compartments go from being roomy and quiet, to every seat taken and and the volume on high. Kind of like the ocean liner, the romance meets reality in short order.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Gob wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:21 am
Sue U wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Well, I have never been on a cruise so I don't know how I feel about them yet, although I'm not in any rush to go.

Me neither, my idea of hell.
I might enjoy a boat tour or island hopping. But to have the major point be gist sitting on a giant boat: err... not really.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Long Run wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:35 pm
dales wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:55 am
Bicycle Bill.....that's the ticket!

Get a roomette and watch nature's beauty glide by.
I've known people who had done this and there are things to be aware of and to avoid. Much of the scenery is lost to night-time, and Amtrak seems to specialize in having the best views go by unseen, while relatively boring flatlands are the day-time vista. There are lots of stops and time marches on slowly. And, avoid going in the summer, as the trains are full of parents giving their kids the old time experience of riding the rails -- the compartments go from being roomy and quiet, to every seat taken and and the volume on high. Kind of like the ocean liner, the romance meets reality in short order.
There’s a Sex and the City episode that takes this dead on. My last train trip was DC to Boston trying to outrun a nor’easter. Also not fun - long, slow, hot/cold, and crowded.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Sorry, Duplicate post.
Last edited by MGMcAnick on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 pm
Anyone taken the Alaskan cruise? We are talking that and a trip to Ireland when covid waters recede.
Mrs Mc and I took the Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise in 2009. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We flew into Anchorage and spent three days touring that area before taking the train to Seward to board the ship. I wish we'd spent a week or more touring, maybe going as far north as Mt Denali. That's one thing I'd do differently. I'd also spend some time in Vancouver.

The buffets are good, but seasoned cruisers say they are for amateurs. Personally I preferred the buffets. I guess that makes me an amateur. Besides, you have to "dress" for dinner. Not for us.

At least some of the jewelry stores are owned by the cruise lines.

Don't use the cruise line's booking for the train to Seward. It'll cost you $20 extra each, and it's the same train.

Don't use the cruise line's bus service at Vancouver. The dock will be crawling with Prius taxis. The bus was $20 each for a 15 minute ride. I'm not sure what the taxi costs, but I'll bet it's not $40. ($2009 prices) Uber wasn't invented yet.

Don't use the cruise line to book onshore excursions. For example, a de Havilland Beaver floatplane ride at Ketchikan would have $110 each. By the time we got to the end of the row, we went for $50 each, and I got to play copilot. Empty seats make no money.

Granted, if you are late to the ship on a non-sponsored excursion, the ship may sail without you. Not so if you book thru them.

Souvenirs were cheaper in Ketchikan too. I guess it's because it's their last shot at southbound passengers, I suppose the same would be true at Seward for those who get on at Vancouver and go north. We also got some things at Wal Mart in Anchorage. Same price the locals pay.

I still have two pairs of leather gloves I bought, duty free, on board. Not bad.

I would not book a cruise of any kind until this covid mess is over. You might get caught on a ship for weeks if covid pops up. There are many restrictions on what passengers can and can't do now. Passengers must wear masks when they are out for their rooms. I'm sure various ports of call have restrictions too.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

The buffets are good, but seasoned cruisers say they are for amateurs. Personally I preferred the buffets. I guess that makes me an amateur. Besides, you have to "dress" for dinner. Not for us.
Clothing optional buffet? Masks a must though.

Anyway I appreciate the detailed insight. We do plan to wait until covid is not an issue.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:21 am
You-all can have all the ocean adventures you want.

Me, I'm waiting for the pandemic to end so I can use my retirement time and money to take a couple of long-distance train rides out to and along the California coast.
-"BB"-
The Empire Builder from Havre to Whitefish Montana through Glacier National Park is a fantastic ride. It must be done in the summer to be able to see all the stunning scenery in daylight.

The Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles is also a fantastic ride. I never in my life saw anything as green and gorgeous as the Oregon woods that train route cuts through. The northern California coast was stunning, of course.

I really hope you get to make those trips, I’m sure you’d love them. I’m sure there are other lovely routes but that Coast Starlight is one that everyone raves about for good reason.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:37 am
The Empire Builder from Havre to Whitefish Montana through Glacier National Park is a fantastic ride. It must be done in the summer to be able to see all the stunning scenery in daylight.

The Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles is also a fantastic ride. I never in my life saw anything as green and gorgeous as the Oregon woods that train route cuts through. The northern California coast was stunning, of course.

I really hope you get to make those trips, I’m sure you’d love them. I’m sure there are other lovely routes but that Coast Starlight is one that everyone raves about for good reason.
That's exactly the plan, although I was thinking of switching to the Pacific Surfliner at San Luis Obispo and taking that south past LA to San Diego, then going back north to pick up either the Desert Eagle (out of LA) or the California Zephyr (out of San Francisco) to come back east. I haven't decided which, but since I grew up on the old CB&Q route — and we have the Aeolus, one of original Zephyr steam locomotives, on display in a park in my home town —

THEN ...

NOW ....

— I'm leaning toward the trip on the California Zephyr ...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:31 am

I think I've seen the DVD, German isn't it?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Why go to sea? You can get all that on land.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Is that you 4th from the left AExK?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

No I'm the one in the middle with the nice hair and the taut abs. Wanna see?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

TPFKA@W wrote:

Absolutely! It makes the dining experience much more exciting, especially if they serve hot soup.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:54 pm
No I'm the one in the middle with the nice hair and the taut abs. Wanna see?
I am so silly. The one in the middle is female. I thought you were male-ish.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:52 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:

Absolutely! It makes the dining experience much more exciting, especially if they serve hot soup.
Ah plausible deniability with respect to the blistering down there.