Progress

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Progress

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Progress

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The only thing I'm thinking is that if anything happens to those screens — power failure, short circuit, whatever — anything being displayed disappears and they are totally, completely, royally fucked.

Compare that to Apollo 4 — if one gauge goes haywire, starts displaying false info, or otherwise malfunctions, the others would still be there and viewable.  The same with the space shuttle, although the concept of the 'glass cockpit' is already starting to creep in.

Redundancy — for when pulling over and waiting for road service isn't an option.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why did Apollo 4 have a bologna sandwich?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

They were out of ham?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:57 am
The only thing I'm thinking is that if anything happens to those screens — power failure, short circuit, whatever — anything being displayed disappears and they are totally, completely, royally fucked.
That's why each astronaut carries an iPhone as a backup.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

This can be a problem with technology replacing tried and true methods. For example, the move to digitized patient records sounds good, but it replaces a classic layers of swiss cheese redundancy system that greatly limited mistakes based on inadequate charting. Now there is just one centralized system, though you do have to give your date of birth to every person you come into contact with during a visit to the physician.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Then of course you have the situation where you switch with great fanfare from a paper based system (with Post Its and highlighter pens and filing cabinets) to a software system with umpteen bells and whistles. And once you have employee acceptance and everyone has abandoned the old ways (can take years) the suppliers no longer support it or do so only on some old outdated platform so you have to run two or even three systems (we once had stuff on Win 3.something and 95 and XP at the same time - I may be misrecalling the versions - backwards compatible is or was a hollow laughter-inducing concept) and it was all part of the Full Employment for IT Guys Act. But we all survived . . .

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 pm
all part of the Full Employment for IT Guys Act.
Don't even get me going on the first rule of programming -- keep programming. That's how we have 1994 Word and Excel hit the top of the curve for development (i.e., they had successfully borrowed everything worth taking from Word Perfect and Lotus), but they keep changing things so that programmers have something to do. For 99% of the users, nothing useful has been added to those program for many, many years (same with many other programs), but we have to keep relearning them so IT Guys have work.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Good so long as the router works; but what happens when it breaks down (mine has at home).

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm
Good so long as the router works; but what happens when it breaks down (mine has at home).
Then the astronaut switches his iPhone over to wireless instead of trying to save money by using the spaceship's router... :D

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

They need orbiting cell towers first. Maybe they're working on them.:D

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm
They need orbiting cell towers first. Maybe they're working on them.:D
They could probably connect to a GPS satellite with a cell phone. Then at least they could get directions for returning home and view Google Earth.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Or, they could just pack a Thomas Guide (like the one in the back of my car).

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I just happen to have a copy of the Thomas Guide for astronauts:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

One of the first rules for pilots ... always make sure the number of successful landings equal the number of successful takeoffs.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?