Fourth of July Fireworks

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Fourth of July Fireworks

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"...And the rockets' red glare; the bombs bursting in air.."

Fireworks are basically aerial bombs — bundles of explosive charges, made up primarily of black powder, propelled into the night sky which contain show-burning fuses that are carefully calculated to burn sufficiently long enough to then detonate at a suitable altitude, in much the same way as early cannon shells, when fired, were fused to explode after having had time to reach their objective, be it ships, fortresses, or formations of infantry or cavalry.  But black powder explosions are generally white or orange.  So have you ever wondered how they make all those beautiful colors seen in the night sky during fireworks displays?

Answer — CHEMISTRY!!   Certain metal salts such as copper, sodium, strontium, and calcium, when burned, create different colors and contribute to the impressiveness of the display.  

Feel free to use this handy reference guide when watching the displays in your area this weekend.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Re: Fourth of July Fireworks

Post by Gob »

:lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

I would be remiss if I didn't mention "golden showers".

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Fireworks.jpg

Yes, it's 2:15 AM here, and yes they are still exploding every few minutes. At this point I'm sufficiently inebriated that I'm going to try sleeping anyway.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:19 am
Fireworks.jpg

Yes, it's 2:15 AM here, and yes they are still exploding every few minutes. At this point I'm sufficiently inebriated that I'm going to try sleeping anyway.
TOTALLY how I feel about the 4th! It was worse in Montana but here I have a neighbor two doors down who STOCKS UP and puts on a noisy show that has my border collie behind the fridge for a couple of hours.

At least this weekend since it rained almost all day Saturday I wasn’t as worried as usual about fire, with all the yards and roofs saturated by steady downpours over hours just preceding the great explosive orgy.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Fireworks are illegal here and all "official" fireworks displays were canceled this year. Still, last night, not nearby but in the distance it sounded like WW III broke out. I didn't hear any firecrackers. Nothing sounded that weak. It was the loudest and longest 4th of July noise I've ever heard. The final bombings were at around 4 am. I think one side finally surrendered.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I was lounging in my recliner with my Bose earbuds in listening to my playlist eyes closed I was hit in the belly by a 30lb cannon ball named Emma. She was terrified. Bose needs to invent something for dogs for noise canceling.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I worked traffic control for our local rotary club’s fireworks display. It was a very impressive 20 minutes of noise and explosions followed by about 45 minutes of people wanting to turn left out of the parking area with me pointing right.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Fireworks are racist!!
National Geographic has suggested that holiday fireworks are racist because the smoke pollution “disproportionately” hurts minorities — sparking a firestorm of criticism from readers.

The famed conservation institution tweeted out the assertion on the Fourth of July, based on a recent study assessing the impact of Independence Day fireworks on communities.

“Scientists found that vulnerable people and communities of color are disproportionately exposed to air pollution from firework celebrations,” the nonprofit wrote on Twitter above a photo of a lights display over North Hollywood, Calif.

The tweet included a link to an article the mag just published involving research using crowdsourcing data in California.

The state’s minority residents are at greater risk for health concerns related to fireworks smoke partly because the holiday displays usually take place in its urban areas and along the coast, where there are greater concentrations of such populations, experts told the publication.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/05/national- ... re-racist/
ETA:

May not be a bad idea to end July 4th celebrations...
US streets were bathed in blood over Independence Day weekend with 142 killed in 379 separate shootings, with Chicago and Philadelphia among the locations worst-hit.

Chicago suffered the greatest bloodshed, with at least 92 shootings over the long weekend. That saw 16 killed and 76 injured.

National Guard soldier Chrys Carvajal, 19, is the only victim so-far named. He was shot while attending a house party after coming home to visit his family for the Independence Day celebrations.

'My brother. He was all of life. He had a bright future in front of him,' Carvajal's sister Jennifer Ramirez told ABC 7.

Ramirez told ABC 7 that her brother was gunned down in a drive-by shooting when he went outside to grab something. A motive is unclear.

Others who survived shootings in the Windy City included children as young as five and six, with others shot in the 12 to 30 age bracket, the Chicago Sun Times, reported.

Two cops were among the city's shooting victims. The unidentified officers were shot in the early hours of Monday while trying to disperse a crowd in the city's Washington Park.

They were rushed to hospital, and are expected to survive their injuries.

Philadelphia saw a total of 17 people shot over the weekend, with 21 injured, and seven killed.

Eleven people were shot, four died and another was stabbed during a six hour orgy of violence in Philadelphia during July 4 celebrations.

Six of those 11 shot were teenagers aged between 15 and 19.

The grim toll included a double murder where more than 100 shots rang out.

Shortly after 10:30pm on Sunday, more than 100 bullets ripped through a West Philadelphia barbeque, hitting 22-year-old Sincarr Johnson Jr. in the head, a 23-year-old man multiple times in the torso and a 16-year-old girl in the butt and leg.

Johnson Jr. and the 23-year-old, who hasn't been identified, died. The teenager is in stable condition, police said.

On Saturday, three people were fatally shot, including a six-year-old boy in the Northeast section of the city.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well there are a lot of fire crackers

I would have thought that most urban fireworks shows are precisely NOT in minority areas because if they are, whitey won't go.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And in other July 4th news, the Columbus Blue Jackets (ice hockey) goalie Matiss Kivlenieks died because he was struck in the chest by an errant mortar style firework. At his coach's house in the after party from his (the coach) daughter's wedding.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Intimations of mortar fatality

So then goalie. You stopped
that one. All death
diminishes me. Some not so much
like when that Princess died.
She was hot.
I don't know
about ice hockey
but my friend Keith's mum
says it can be dangerous.
So are hot tubs. But not
as deadly as fireworks
I am told

e J Thribbsworth (9 and a half)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The figures I saw on the news were 233 killed, 618 injured in 500+ shootings this last weekend, including lots of kids.

Happy birthday America! 🇺🇸

The death of the NHL goalie was awful. What a horrific way to die and what a lovely memory for the bride and groom. Hope they all enjoyed the backyard fireworks!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

That reminds me...I need to stock up.