Vaccine scientist wins major recognition.

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Vaccine scientist wins major recognition.

Post by Gob »

Barbie maker Mattel has created a doll of the scientist who designed the Oxford coronavirus vaccine, Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert.

Dame Sarah said she found the creation "very strange" at first - but she hoped it would inspire children.

"My wish is that my doll will show children careers they may not be aware of, like a vaccinologist," she said.

Her Barbie is one of six to honour women working in science, technology, engineering and maths (Stem).

The others include an Australian medic who helped create a reusable gown for health workers, and a Brazilian biomedical researcher.

Vaccinologist Dame Sarah - who was recognised with a damehood in the Queen's Birthday Honours - began designing a coronavirus vaccine in early 2020 when Covid first emerged in China.

Her vaccine - the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab - is now the most widely used around the world, with doses sent to more than 170 countries.

"I am passionate about inspiring the next generation of girls into Stem careers and hope that children who see my Barbie will realise how vital careers in science are to help the world around us," said Dame Sarah.

In recent years, toymaker Mattel has responded to criticism that its Barbie doll sets an unrealistic image of womanhood.

It now offers dolls themed around careers such as a firefighter, doctor and astronaut - and in a range of skin tones beyond its original white, blonde doll that first launched in 1959.

Sales of Barbie dolls rose to a six-year high last year, as the pandemic saw parents stock up on toys for their children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58077396
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Vaccine scientist wins major recognition.

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Isn't it weird that we reward the Bezoses and Zuckerbergs of the world by making them multi-multi-billionaires while someone who actually saves the world (helps, anyway) gets a Barbie. I'm sure that Dame Sarah is not short of a bob or two - she is part founder of a company called Vaccitech - but I doubt we will ever see her in the Forbes or Rich List.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's capitalism; those who invest (or can attract investment) best reap the rewards.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There you go, ladies ...
you know you've made it when Mattel does a special Barbie doll that looks like you.

(ps ...... I wonder how much – or even 'if' – they paid her to 'license' her image?)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Why doesn't it look like her?

Are they afraid it wouldn't sell?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Why doesn't it look like her?

Are they afraid it wouldn't sell?
How does it not resemble her?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

From the photo,the doll looks much younger than she does and the physique is much more lean than she appears to be (but her clothes are baggy so it's hard to tell for certain). Perhaps they just put the head and clothes on an ordinary Baribie Doll?

But, to be fair, it looks as much like her as the bobble heads and action figures look like the sports figures they are supposed to portray.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 pm
How does it not resemble her?
Her chin is longer than the doll's so she never looked like that unless her face grew later in life. The glasses and hair color (not hair style) are the only similarities between the person and the doll in the photo.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"Vaccinologist Barbie" doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. But it's nice to see where they are looking for role models.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 pm
Her chin is longer than the doll's so she never looked like that unless her face grew later in life. The glasses and hair color (not hair style) are the only similarities between the person and the doll in the photo.
This is typical of plastic dolls. When I bought "action figures" for my kids, they rarely looked like the "hero". For example, the Michael Jordon figure would be unrecognizable without the #23 Bulls uniform. If you would take off the head and show it to a person who would know the subject of the figure, most could not come close to guessing the well-known figure. Though, the arms tended to fall off long before the figure became headless, which made it tougher for Jordan to go left.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Back when we still had a "Hooters" in our town, I bought a set of these and gave them to my grand-niece for her Barbie dolls.

My sister wouldn't talk to me for a week ... which I thought was rather narrow-minded of her, considering her first job was as a cocktail waitress at a local night club wearing a slightly more modest 1970s version of the same thing ...
-"BB"-
Last edited by Bicycle Bill on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Hmmm, I wonder what the image was.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:42 am
Hmmm, I wonder what the image was.
Found a better one and replaced the original with it.
-"BB"-

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I like the 'Caution' on the package. Health and Safety is everywhere these days.