Cuddle me

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Cuddle me

Post by Gob »

Nose spray makes men 'sensitive'

Emma Wilkinson
Health reporter, BBC News

A nasal spray can make men more in tune with other people's feelings, say a team of German and UK researchers.

They found that inhaling the "cuddle hormone" oxytocin made men just as empathetic as women.

The study in 48 volunteers also showed that the spray boosted the ability to learn from positive feedback.

Writing in the Journal of Neuroscience, the researchers said the spray may be useful for boosting behaviour therapy in conditions such as schizophrenia.

Oxytocin is a naturally produced hormone, most well-known for triggering labour pains and promoting bonding between mother and baby.

But it has also been shown to play a role in social relations, sex and trust.

Study leader Professor Keith Kendrick, a neuroscientist at Cambridge University, said by giving the hormone nasally, it quickly reaches the brain.

In the first part of the study, half the men received a nose spray containing oxytocin and half were given a dummy spray.

They were then shown photos of emotionally charged situations including a crying child, a girl hugging her cat, and a grieving man, and were asked questions about the depth of feeling they had towards the subjects.

Those who had the hormone spray had markedly higher levels of empathy - of a similar magnitude to those only usually seen in women who are naturally more sensitive to the feelings of others.

Neither group were able to accurately guess whether they had received the oxytocin or the dummy spray.

In a second experiment, the researchers measured "socially motivated learning" where the volunteers were asked to do a difficult observation test and were shown an approving face if they got the answer right and an unhappy face if they got it wrong.

In these types of experiments, people generally learn faster if they get positive feedback but those who had taken the oxytocin spray responded even better to facial feedback than those in the placebo group.

Professor Kendrick said the oxytocin spray may prove to be useful in people with conditions associated with reduced social approachability and social withdrawal, such as schizophrenia.

And other researchers are already looking at its potential use in autism.

"The bottom line is it improved the ability of people to learn when they had positive feedback and that is pretty important because this might help improve the effectiveness of behavioural therapy or even be useful in people with learning difficulties."

Professor Gareth Leng from Edinburgh University said the research used some cleverly-designed tests.

He added there has been a lot of interest recently on oxytocin and social behaviour.

"This study is the latest of several that suggest that intranasal oxytocin seems to 'sensitise' people to become more aware of social cues from other individuals - and more likely to be sympathetic to them."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/h ... 653500.stm

Published: 2010/04/30 10:59:18 GMT
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Re: Cuddle me

Post by The Hen »

I'd be interested to see how this spray goes with the schizophrenics and the autistic, particularly the autistic. This could be of great benefit to many parents.
Bah!

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Pulling nose hairs makes men sensitive too.

Rick

Post by Rick »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:Pulling nose hairs makes men sensitive too.
No it just brings tears...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

tyro

Post by tyro »

You have been everywhere and done everything haven’t you?
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

tyro wrote:

You have been everywhere and done everything haven’t you?
Not yet, but give me time.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I'd imagine ear hairs would also stimulate the same sensitivities.

And let's not consider pubic hair caught in zippers. I can hear the 'sensitivities' as I post this.
Bah!

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The Hen wrote:I'd imagine ear hairs would also stimulate the same sensitivities.

And let's not consider pubic hair caught in zippers. I can hear the 'sensitivities' as I post this.
They should at least trim the stuff, if not shave it as a courtesy anyway ;)

Timster

Post by Timster »

Daisy wrote:
The Hen wrote:I'd imagine ear hairs would also stimulate the same sensitivities.

They should at least trim the stuff, if not shave it as a courtesy anyway ;)

I think that Gob and I both agree on that point Daisy.

We both think that you women should shave it as a courtesy anyway... :nana :lol: :D
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

The last time I tried to shave it as a courtesy, Gob ran screaming from the bathroom as I chased him with the cut-throat.

:twisted:
Bah!

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The Hen wrote:The last time I tried to shave it as a courtesy, Gob ran screaming from the bathroom as I chased him with the cut-throat.

Hehehe... though really, picking a pube out of your teeth can really kill the moment.

"Yeah OK lets just cuddle"

Timster

Post by Timster »

Daisy wrote:
The Hen wrote:The last time I tried to shave it as a courtesy, Gob ran screaming from the bathroom as I chased him with the cut-throat.

Hehehe... though really, picking a pube out of your teeth can really kill the moment.

"Yeah OK lets just cuddle"
True Dat. 'Hang on a sec baby> pft pft Pft -pick -pull- *Sproing~* Got it. Now where were we?... LMAO! :lol:

I think that to thoroughly enjoy eating pussy is like eating BBQ ribs. It's just not as good unless you get it all over your face!

And who wants hair in their BBQ sauce? I like to lick it to the last drop. :twisted:

Ok. Back on topic.

And I've been told that without fur, a woman is much more sensitive than she would be normally. No complaints so far. :D

There aren't too many things that can beat a bald pussy. MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...bald pussy...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Now that is pretty disgusting.

Timster

Post by Timster »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:Now that is pretty disgusting.
Would you care to clarify that? What is "disgusting"?

Oral sex? Shaving one's pubic hairs? Enjoying it? Getting a pubic hair in one's teeth?

Or just talking about the whole business in a frank and candid way? :shrug

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think @W is disgusted with the cut & pasted proof that Homer Simpson is a pussy.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Timster wrote:

Oral sex? Shaving one's pubic hairs? Enjoying it? Getting a pubic hair in one's teeth?

Homer.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

lmao!

I don't want my parts to remind anyone of Homer Simpson!!

:lol:

Timster

Post by Timster »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:
Timster wrote:

Homer.
DOH! I hadn't considered that angle...

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Timster

Post by Timster »

And now I see that the "Homer" pic has a dotted line around it.

Is that a fail safe? Did I forget to write NSFW? Did I get reported? What gives admins? :?:

Ok, Nevermind. I see that it was just resized. Thank you. :ok

[aside: Miles, I made that pic into an avatar for you, if you are interested. :twisted: ]
Last edited by Timster on Fri May 14, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Timster wrote:
@meric@nwom@n wrote: DOH! I hadn't considered that angle...
How could you miss that angle?

After all, it is the angle shown in the picture that makes the point... or should I say... brings the point home....er.