Going to Mars (not quite)

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Gob

Going to Mars (not quite)

Post by Gob »

WHEN Alexei Sitev, a cosmonaut trainer, got married last month there was no time for a honeymoon. He was too busy preparing to board a mock spacecraft where he is to spend 520 days in a bizarre experiment to discover how astronauts will cope on the first flight to Mars.

Next week Sitev, 38, will kiss his bride Ekaterina Golubeva, a 35-year-old doctor, goodbye, knowing it will be nearly 18 months before they meet again. Soon afterwards he will join five other men selected from thousands of applicants for a project called Mars 500, set up by the Russian and European space agencies to study the effects of a long space flight on the mind and body.

The crew members — three Russians, a Chinese, a Frenchman and an Italian — will spend much of their time cooped up in living quarters the size of a double-decker bus.

Sitev is candid about the prospect. “Not being able to communicate with my wife and giving up sex for such a long time will be very tough, but it won’t be the most difficult aspect,” he said. “The most stressful thing over such a long period will be coping with the monotony of each day.”

As for his wife, she is determined to look on the bright side of separation only four weeks after tying the knot.

“I was pretty surprised when Alexei told me he’d volunteered to take part,” she conceded. “Being without him for such a long time will be very hard. But for me it’s very important that he fulfils his ambitions.

“I said I’d wait for him but first I wanted to know how important our relationship is. He married me before leaving as a sign of his love.”

The crew will have no direct contact with loved ones while confined to the module, which will never leave its gloomy hangar at the Russian Institute for Biomedical Problems.

Any communication between the craft and mission control will include a 20-minute delay to simulate the time taken for signals to travel to Earth. It will take two days to send a message home and receive a reply. The men will have no access to telephones, internet or natural light and will breathe only recycled air.

Their mock craft affords each participant the privacy of a tiny cabin and a shower they are permitted to use once every 10 days. Everywhere else, the men will be watched by cameras around the clock.

Eight hours a day will be spent on tests to monitor each other’s physical and psychological condition and on a series of scientific experiments. Eight hours will be for sleep and eight for leisure.

Mikhail Sinelnikov, 38, who will leave behind his wife and his 12-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son, is taking a digital archive of his family photograph album. “Finally, I’ll have the time to go through thousands of pictures and mark the ones I want to have printed when I get out,” he said.

A trainer at Star City, the birthplace of the Soviet space programme near Moscow, he has always dreamt of flying into space but lacks the qualifications.

“This project is the next best thing,” he said. “It’s an important scientific study which will pave the way for a real flight to Mars some time in the future.”

Sinelnikov knows that the monotony will get to him after six months. “I’ll miss the sun, fresh air, the sea, but most of all my wife and kids,” he said.

“A year and a half is a very long time not to see them. As for the sex, I’ve never tried so long without it. I’ll have to get used to it.”

The crew will eat cosmonauts’ meals and will also grow their own lettuces, radishes and cabbages in a mini-greenhouse attached to their pod.

They will earn £85 a day and will be allowed to abandon ship if the psychological pressure becomes intolerable.

The first 250 days will represent the trip from Earth to Mars — a distance of up to 250m miles. The crew will then simulate a 30-day stay on the Red Planet by carrying out missions in a gigantic sealed sandpit fitted with hundreds of tiny roof lights to imitate a star-studded view of space.

The third phase of 240 days will cover the long journey home. The Americans, Russians and Europeans do not envisage a Mars mission for at least two decades.

Diego Urbina, 26, the Italian participant, is packing a laptop with thousands of books, films and songs. “Thank God I don’t have a girlfriend at the moment,” he said.

The crew recently bought a Nintendo Wii video game console to help to fight boredom. The module has a small living room decorated with pictures of famous cosmonauts and portraits of Vladimir Putin, Russia’s prime minister, and General Charles de Gaulle, the former French president.

Wang Yue, 27, the Chinese candidate, said it was a “huge honour” to take part but he hoped mission control would transmit videos of next month’s football World Cup.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 127804.ece
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

tyro

Re: Going to Mars (not quite)

Post by tyro »

Bone head!
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

It's kind of exciting to think we might live long enough to see a mission to Mars.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I loved The Martian Chronicles as a kid, and thought that Mars was just the next step from the Moon. But I highly doubt we'll live long enough to see a manned mission to Mars. It's simply not necessary for exploration nor it is cost efficient -- robots can do more, longer, for less, and we don't have to worry about bringing them back alive.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but people are much more effective at fixing things, especially when something unexpected happens. And, FWIW, I think it will be easier to get the public to fund a manned mission to Mars rather than an automated one, even if it will cost much more. There is something romantic about humans exploring the unknown; and as they said in The Right Stuff, no bucks, no Buck Rogers.

Machines? Don't you remember waht happened when they tried to replace Kirk with the M5 on Star Trek, or what HAL did in 2001?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I dunno, the stuff here, returned by relatively primitive and low-cost machines, is pretty awesome.

And then there's always the Stephen Hawking problem:

GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Valentine Micheal Smith anyone?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue U wrote:I dunno, the stuff here, returned by relatively primitive and low-cost machines, is pretty awesome.

And then there's always the Stephen Hawking problem:

Yankee go home? Even on Mars they're red sox fans?

But seriously, while unmanned space travel can generate a lot of data and results, there have been many times where something as simple as a small stone could topple over a roving camera; humans could just move it. And even more importantly, I seriously doubt we would get much public support for purely unmanned programs. Somehow, I think that the appeal of putting a man on mars woudl have much more appeal than a mutli billion dollar program to send unmanned probles. Our think our own space program in the 60s showed that; mankind wants to explore with people. Even if you culd do the same thing better (and/or more cheaply) without persons aboard, it won't get the popular support. And that support is essential for an undertaking of this magnitude.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote: Yankee go home? Even on Mars they're red sox fans?
Isn't everyone in the universe a Red Sox fan (except a few sadly misguided folks in the tri-state area)? :rsp
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:Isn't everyone in the universe a Red Sox fan (except a few sadly misguided folks in the tri-state area)? :rsp
(emphasis added).

You mean Heinz Doofenshmirtz?

GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Read his wiki, then click on the link to tri-state area and see how many there are! I'll have to try and be more precise in my writing in the future . . . ;)
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

All male crew? Three years in space?