Apple unveil giant iPhone

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Sean

Apple unveil giant iPhone

Post by Sean »

TOP 10 IPAD DISAPPOINTMENTS:

1.The keyboard
The iPad’s lack of a tactile keyboard was always going to be an issue, but typing on the iPad is not as easy as you might hope. To be used for email and short messages only.

2.No camera
An odd oversight, this is one that has many fans stumped. The iPad could have been great for video calling.

3.No Flash support
So many good websites use Adobe Flash that Apple’s ongoing stoush with the technology is becoming a big issue. This gadget screens websites in full size, but some still won’t show due to this omission.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

4.Weighty
Heavier than the biggest Kindle, the iPad could be hard to hold with one hand for an extended period.

5.No memory card slot
The iPad is so good with photos, but they must be side-loaded from a computer as this tablet computer has no space for memory cards adding an adapter.

6.No GPS chip in Wi-Fi model
It can still guess your location from your WiFi connection, but the lack of a GPS chip is disappointing.

7.No HD video output
You can connect the iPad to a television but videos won’t play in high-definition. The best it can muster is a resolution of 576p.

8.No multi-tasking
You can only do one thing at a time on the iPad, just as with the iPhone. Sadly, this is one thing that netbooks have over the device.

9.No iBooks in Australia
They’re coming, according to a job ad, but the iPad won’t live up until its full potential until they arrive.

10.Delayed accessories
The keyboard and memory card adapter will make up for some important omissions, but are not yet available.

TOP 10 IPAD MAGIC MOMENTS:

1.Great screen
It’s large, it’s bright and it’s colourful. There’s lots to like about the iPad’s screen that has LED-backlighting for brightness, and IPS (in-plane switching) for good viewing on an angle. It’s not E Ink, like the Kindle, but it looks flashy.

2.Speedy
Apple’s 1GHz processor keeps the iPad screening at a great pace. Though this processor is slower than those in most netbooks, it’s clearly competent.

3.iPad apps
Plenty of developers joined the “second gold rush” by creating iPad apps, and users should be grateful. Games, in particular, benefit a lot from the bigger screen.

4.Photo shows
The iPad does look like a digital photo frame but, arguably, it does a better job with slideshows. The iPhoto-like app included on the iPad lets you group photos and makes them easy to show off.

5.iWork
Apple’s document, spreadsheet and presentation apps have been reworked for the iPad launch and they’re available as $US10 downloads. Not bad.

6.Long battery life
Admittedly, the Amazon Kindle’s battery lasts longer, but how many portable DVD players offer 10 hours of video playback? The iPad has real staying power.

7.Screen lock
Ever tried to use an app while laying down? Automatic screen orientation can be a real pain. To address this, Apple has replaced the mute switch with a screen lock switch.

8.Accessories
The iPad has even more accessories than the iPod, it seems. You will be able to add a physical keyboard, USB or memory card port, or a case that acts as a stand… just as soon as they’re available.

9.Rugged body
The iPad is sturdy and was designed to withstand everyday knocks. That’s not to say you should drop it or use it as a coaster, but it shouldn’t fall apart by itself.

10.The price
While the Aussie price is still unknown, $US499 is a great ballpark for such an entertaining gadget.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/top-1 ... 5849521318

So will anybody (except Daisy of course... ;) ) be buying one of these monstrosities?
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Re: Apple unveil giant iPhone

Post by Gob »

I may be, they look great.

But I have to admit that the whole sidebar issue in the disappointments section is a turn off. ;)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sean

Post by Sean »

Get fucked! :P

Let's see how long you can run this version of the board without it going tits up before you comment smartarse! :lol:
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I will probably let Gob get one. It will save a fortune in excess luggage if he can take 100 i-books with him instead of the stinking books.

(One day I will return to walking straight again after carrying the book bag.)
Bah!

Sean

Post by Sean »

If it's just a reader you want the Amazon Kindle apparently shits all over the iPad... cheaper too.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I think the Sony reader might outdo the Kindle.

Gilead

Post by Gilead »

As far as eBook readers go my favorite was the Rocket Ebook. It had backlighting, touchscreen, an on screen keyboard for anotations and footnotes, and the ability to rotate the screen. Sadly the device was ahead of it's time so had a short life. Well a crappy version of it is available from eBookwise, but I don't recommend it. The ebookwise library is mostly romance novels. :barf

I now have a Kindle DX. It has tons of storage. I currently have a couple of hundred books stored on it. The Amazon library is huge. The Kindle also includes free 3G called Whispernet. This allows you to get books in less than 60 seconds directly to the device. <- Me likey. The e-ink screen on the Kindle allows reading under almost any light, including sunlight.

The ipad is terrible in sunlight. The screen is almost completely black. The library is tiny compared to Amazon(also with any other reader). The page turning thing with a flick of your finger is kinda cool. But, I like it better to just rest my thumb on a button and press it when I want the page to turn. One handed reading rules. Also with the ipad you have to provide your own internet connection, either by finding a wifi hotspot, or paying a monthly fee for 3G access.

Also the Kindle currently has the best pricing for ebooks. They are almost all $9.99 or less. The ipad is negotiating with the publishers to charge a price similar to the hardcover price, for increased profits.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Charging the same as a hardcover negates one of the big plusses for having one surely?

I'm not sold yet. I'd love one for long haul flights, but as I only fly once a year or so, it isn't really a big need.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gilead

Post by Gilead »

Also, I don't know if you're a Mac guy or not, there are a large number of notepads similar to the ipad coming out soon that are Windows, and Android based.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194553/a ... _ipad.html

It looks like many of them have more power and better features at a competitive price.

Beer Sponge

Post by Beer Sponge »

Sean wrote:So will anybody (except Daisy of course... ;) ) be buying one of these monstrosities?
iWon't.

:rsp
Personally, I don’t believe in bros before hoes, or hoes before bros. There needs to be a balance. A homie-hoe-stasis, if you will.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I will, but I'll wait for the WiFi+3G model.

If the damned Americans will stop buying them we might get them over here sometime soon... they've moved the UK launch date back to the end of May.

Oi Jobs, you turtle necked tart... stop treating me like a second class citizen, you scruffy bastard!!!

*hopes no-one from Apple HQ reads this before I go there on Monday*

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

So two days at Apple UK HQ and not a sniff of an iPad.

Got a text from my other half this afternoon to say he's won one in a competition with Digital Print Magazine....

EPIC FUCKING WIN ..... squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'd like one, I wouldn't buy one, but I'd like one...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Daisy wrote:So two days at Apple UK HQ and not a sniff of an iPad.

Got a text from my other half this afternoon to say he's won one in a competition with Digital Print Magazine....

EPIC FUCKING WIN ..... squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:evil: (jealous bsg)

:ok (loyal friend bsg)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I finally succumbed to another gadget...

Replaced my iPod classic with a 32Gb iPod Touch, it's lovely ... now all I need is a name for it.