Paul Ryan: Let kids starve, it builds character

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Paul Ryan: Let kids starve, it builds character

Post by BoSoxGal »

FYI, I don't know if Paul Ryan has kids, but the fact is that these days most kids don't go to school with a brown paper bag - most kids buy the school lunch with a prepaid card, even if they have working parents. (In fact, it was that way already when I was in grade school in the 80s.)

Many parents don't have time to make bagged lunches anymore, and many kids don't want them anyway.

Such utter bullshit anyway . . . I can't imagine any kid saying he would rather not eat than eat a school lunch merely because it was paid for by you and me. I bet he's never really known any actual poor, hungry kids. I bet his buddy Scott Walker (and staff) haven't ever, either.

:arg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Re: Paul Ryan: Let kids starve, it builds character

Post by Joe Guy »

Paul Ryan is a dildo.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Then, he can make them dill bread
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That's the yeast he can do.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not for those on a loaf at diet though.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Now I doughnut know what to say.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Cheeses Crust?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'll have a pizza that.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"Pie eye, skipper!" as Tony Bennet famously said

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think I'd be batter off leaven that one alone.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yeah, let's wheat until we're rising

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

I don't know what video BSG saw, but the reaction has nothing to do with what was said. There is absolutely nothing incredible about a school child considering a brown bag lunch prepared by a kid's mother to be preferable to "free" government lunch.

"LEt kids starve"? You are delusional - literally.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

While not endorsing DM's sentiment, he makes a valid point.

Whoever this Paul Ryan is (and anyone who says "buddy" for effect is a tosser), that video does not show him saying anything about a "kid saying he would rather not eat than eat a school lunch merely because it was paid for by you and me".

Instead, he told of a child who was eating those school lunches every day but wished that he had a brown-bag lunch "just like the other kids". I suspect the child was less bothered about Ryan's conclusion (because it was packed 'with love') than that he didn't like being different - the identified poor kid - perhaps because the other kids made fun of him, perhaps not.

At any rate, the political 'sincerity' is puke-worthy but not because Ryan said a kid would rather starve than eat.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

FYI, I don't know if Paul Ryan has kids, but the fact is that these days most kids don't go to school with a brown paper bag - most kids buy the school lunch with a prepaid card, even if they have working parents. (In fact, it was that way already when I was in grade school in the 80s.)
My kids did not have any pre-paid card for lunch meals and I didn't know anyone who had a prepaid card and my kids went to grammar school in the 90's. They brown bagged it except for the days they liked what was on the menu (usually once a week). I'll have to ask my daughter about "prepaid" cards her classmates may have had.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm speaking from my own experience - in the 80s we actually used cash money - with children I've 'parented' as a step-mom. Maybe it's a Montana thing, but even in the TV shows there are often references to kids having lunch money . . . to buy lunch. Yes, some people have the time to brown bag but many, many do not.

I don't know why I bother getting pissed at this stupid rhetoric anymore - there are far too many people who will lap up this crap, just look at all the ones who loved (still love!) Palin. :roll:

Okay, no - the MOST disgusting thing he said was that bit at the end about liberals just don't get it - WTF? Liberals don't get that children would do best in safe, loving homes with adequate resources to eat????

Fucking ridiculous.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

The story was puke-worthy because Ryan made it to advocate cutting the school lunch program and also because it was a lie:

The original story:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... lless.html
"... The original story had nothing to do with a child turning down a free lunch. It's about a kid, Maurice Mazyck, who met a private benefactor, Laura, asking to literally have his lunch placed in a brown paper bag:

“Look, Maurice, I don’t want you out there hungry on the nights I don’t see you, so this is what we can do. I can either give you some money for the week–and you’ll have to be really careful about how you spend it–or when you come over on Monday night we can go to the supermarket and I can buy all the things you like to eat and make you lunch for the week. I’ll leave it wih the doormen, and you can pick it up on the way to school.”

Maurice looked at me and asked me a question.

“If you make me lunch,” he said, “will you put it in a brown paper bag?”

I didn’t really understand the question. “Do you want it in a brown paper bag?” I asked. “Or how would you prefer it?”

“Miss Laura,” he said, “I don’t want your money. I want my lunch in a brown paper bag.”

“Okay, sure. But why do you want it in a bag?”

“Because when I see kids come to school with their lunch in a paper bag, that means someone cares about them. Miss Laura, can I please have my lunch in a paper bag?”
... "

Ryan lies reflexively.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yes, and that's what Ryan said. He made no mention whatever of any child "turning down" a school lunch

Still pukey tho'

rubato

Post by rubato »

You're wrong. The child specifically says "I don't want a free lunch" in Ryan's (dishonest) version of the story.

Go listen to it again.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think Meade was half-baked when he watched the video...

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I blame post-tremens stress syndrome