For Anyone who has Amazon Prime....

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

and likes murder mystery dramas, I highly recommend Bosch...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502248/

We just finished watching the 10 episode season one (season two is scheduled to be released March 11th)

It stars Titus Welliver, and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get past seeing him as that campy character he plays in the Comcast Business commercials, but I almost immediately had that image out of my mind; Welliver is a very talented and versatile actor, and turns in a superb performance...

Great acting, great writing, great casting, great directing...

Absolutely nothing not to like....

Jim Bob says check it out.
Last edited by Lord Jim on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Re: Fro Anyone who has Amazon Prime....

Post by Long Run »

We have Amazon Prime, but I'm not going there:

Lord Jim

Re: For Anyone who has Amazon Prime....

Post by Lord Jim »

Is that Welliver?
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I wholeheartedly agree!

Watched it as soon as it premiered, having watched the episode one and voted numerous times for Amazon to make the whole series. Welliver does Bosch terrifically, even though he doesn't match the Bosch from the books who I had in mind going in. I turned my BIL onto episode one while I was last visiting them in NY; by the time I'd left a week later, he and my sister had binge watched the whole series.

It was terrifically written and acted with great production values, can't wait for second series! :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

We're planning to watch the first three episodes of the second season tonight...

(as I explained before, when you have kids, Friday nights just aren't as exciting as they used to be... 8-) )
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I had a date with season two last night, too. What did you & Lady Kelly think? :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, we've seen the first three episodes, (I've really liked Geri Ryan since her Seven-of-Nine days, so it's nice to see her getting work) it's still good quality compared to most of what's on, but I have to say that at least so far, the pacing seems to be considerably slower than in the original. Fewer suspense moments; not quite as crisp....
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Agreed; I've watched all but the last 3 episodes and while it's very good, it's not quite as good as the first season. Still better than much that's on TV and Welliver's baby blues make up for any shortcomings. :P
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Starting episode 5 of season 3; very good so far, Welliver is brilliant!
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Lord Jim wrote:(I've really liked Geri Ryan since her Seven-of-Nine days, so it's nice to see her getting work)
It's Jeri, not Geri. And there's an interesting bit of political trivia attached to her (which, knowing you, you probably already know): the publicity surrounding her divorce from Jack Ryan, the Republican candidate for the Senate seat Barack Obama was running for in 2004, was part of what guaranteed Obama his victory and his first Federal office, and the rest is history. Thanks again, Ms. Ryan! ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's Jeri, not Geri. And there's an interesting bit of political trivia attached to her (which, knowing you, you probably already know): the publicity surrounding her divorce from Jack Ryan, the Republican candidate for the Senate seat Barack Obama was running for in 2004, was part of what guaranteed Obama his victory and his first Federal office,
Yes, indeed I do...It was rather lurid...

It involved Jack frequenting sex clubs and compelling Jeri to come with him...(You're married to Jeri Ryan and you need to go sex clubs...go figure... :? )

In fact Ryan was favored in the polls to win the race until this came out and he was forced to withdraw...

He was then replaced as Republican nominee by the insufferable Alan Keyes, (who didn't even live in Illinois; they imported him from Maryland) handing Obama a complete lay-up...

And the rest is, as they say, history....
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

BoSoxGal wrote:Starting episode 5 of season 3; very good so far, Welliver is brilliant!
Planning to start Season 3 this weekend...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Just go into watching Bosch. Bosch has a bit of the Ray Donovan mood going. Really good so far (midway through season 2). For those who liked The Wire, there are a couple of alum from that A+ series doing similarly strong roles in Bosch.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Another Amazon Prime crime/mystery series I highly recommend (Season 3 just dropped; if you haven't watched the series, I suggest you start with season 1 and 2; each season is only 8 episodes)

Goliath...

The show stars one of my favorites, Billy Bob Thornton, as a brilliant but troubled attorney:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687880/

(Season 3 brings in another one of my favorites, Dennis Quaid, as Thornton's foil...)

Fantastic performance by Thornton with a superb supporting cast. Great writing with lots of plot twists and some quirkiness, excellent direction and pacing...

Really overall high-quality television...

Four stars. Jim Bob says check it out...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Billy Bob seems to have slowly regained much of his award winning acting ability since dumping his most recent wacky wife.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks for the recommendation LJ, I’m just wrapping up episode 4 season 1 and really enjoying it. BBT is the best I’ve seen him in years.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Glad you're enjoying it BSG.

We're halfway through season 3...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Season 1 terrific; season 2 very good; season 3 some weird ass shit - first 2 episodes, anyway. WTF is going on?! :shrug
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yeah, there's some quirky surreal stuff in season 3...Indian hallucinogens...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ll be really sad if there isn’t a season 4.
~ Carl Sagan