Go See Dunkirk!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Joe Guy

Go See Dunkirk!

Post by Joe Guy »

Dunkirk is the first movie that has ever kept me completely engrossed from beginning to end. I was hooked immediately and it never let up.

Go see it and let me know what you think.

And here's a Name that Movie Quote. Can you guess it?
CB: You can practically see it from here.

CW: What?

CB: Home.
Here's a helpful hint.....

RayThom

Go See Dunkirk!

Post by RayThom »

Ooh, and Harry Styles, he's so dreamy.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Re: Go See Dunkirk!

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wow, Harry Styles is in it? I just discovered him on SNL this past season - I like his solo music. I was planning to see the movie anyway but that's a bonus.

Is it one that would be best seen in the theatre? I don't go often cuz it's so pricey, but maybe this one would be a good one to catch in a matinee on a hot day.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Go See Dunkirk!

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:... Is it one that would be best seen in the theatre?...
I, too, want to see this one in a nice, comfortable, theatre. Christopher Nolan is a director known for cinema of "epic proportion" and it appears Dunkirk is no exception. As a kid I remember my older English relatives relating stories about how ordinary citizens got caught up in this "pre-US entry into WWII" * slice of history. It always seemed unreal to me, just like my father's war stories in the BRN. It will be nice to see what all the fuss was about.

Re: Harry Styles, he wasn't just a singer in One Direction but also an accomplished actor, and even a raconteur of sorts -- he can hold you with a story. I'm sure he'll be in more films after this Dunkirk exposure.

The British invasion of Hollywood is just getting started.

* Edited 07/23/17 @ 11:26PM
Last edited by RayThom on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I thought the British Invasion of Hollywood happened in the 1960s?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Ray -
pre-WWII slice of history.
WTF?????? Are you one of those who believes that WWII started in December 1941? Those are fighting words. I will charitably assume that you are being sardonic for some questionable comedic effect.

Probably going tonight. My neighbor says he isn't going because there are not enough Americans in it. I think he's from the RayThom school of humorr.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yes, you should see this movie at a good theater. Sound is a very important part of the experience.

Harry Styles is not a major character in this movie but I think he's in it enough to keep his fans happy. I recognized him because I must have discovered him in the same SNL that BSG did. "Sign of the Times" is a great song.

Speaking of the British Invasion, there was a preview of Darkest Hour, with Gary Oldman playing Winston Churchill. It's being released in November. Gary Oldman doesn't look anything like himself but that's good because Churchill didn't look anything like Oldman's self either....

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Wait, let me guess, the version played for American audiences has the US Navy saving the day by evacuating them all from the beaches.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:Wait, let me guess, the version played for American audiences has the US Navy saving the day by evacuating them all from the beaches.
Back in the day they may have inserted the token American or two — for box-office appeal — in the old movie "The Great Escape" and played fast and loose with the historical facts in "Battle of the Bulge" (as well as made up the whole feckin' thing for "Kelly's Heroes" and "Where Eagles Dare"), but I think in this day and age they're going to be much more accurate and true to the actual record.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:Wait, let me guess, the version played for American audiences has the US Navy saving the day by evacuating them all from the beaches.
Don't read the next sentence because it's a spoiler... I especially liked it at the end when Tom Cruise showed up and dropped the atom bomb!!

Actually, nobody in the movie spoke American. It was a bunch of foreigners talking different than we do over here...

Gob

Post by Gob »

Life imitating art?
A film critic has been ridiculed after claiming that there were not enough women and 'actors of colour' in World War II movie Dunkirk.

USA Today writer Brian Truitt hit out at the lack of diversity in the movie which revolves around the British Expeditionary Force - an army which did not have females among its ranks.

Despite his historical blunder, the critic generally gave the film by director Christopher Nolan a glowing review - going as far as praising the 'real-life heroism' of the famous evacuation in 1940.

He added: 'Nolan's ambitious story revolves around three tales unfolding at different times over land, sea, and air, only coming together at the end.'

But Truitt lamented the film's lack of diversity claiming 'the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of colour may rub some the wrong way'.

He has now been criticised on Twitter with one user joking: 'Historical accuracy... how dare they!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4nhjjrwci
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I wonder if they would settle for Robert Downey jr....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Wait about twenty years when they will remake it with an all-black, all-lesbian cast.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bicycle Bill wrote:Back in the day they may have inserted the token American or two — for box-office appeal — in the old movie "The Great Escape" and played fast and loose with the historical facts in "Battle of the Bulge" (as well as made up the whole feckin' thing for "Kelly's Heroes" and "Where Eagles Dare"), but I think in this day and age they're going to be much more accurate and true to the actual record.
Apparently you never saw U-571 or Argo.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Or "Saving Private Ryan."
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Go See Dunkirk!

Post by RayThom »

I thought HBO's "Band of Brothers" was pretty accurate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Finally got around to seeing it tonight, really wish I’d gone to see it on the big screen.

The best war movie I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen all the biggies. I absolutely loved the approach of immersion into the story and events with little to no character development. The soundtrack and cinematography were fantastic.

I’ll be going to see Darkest Hour next week; between the two movies I’m going to be thrown into melancholy over what the world has become from that time of great heroism to this time of . . . whatever this is.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I finally got around to watching The Darkest Hour tonight, having never gotten to see it in the theater. I followed it up with another viewing of Dunkirk, because what a perfect double feature.

How lucky we all are that the British people had such resolve to endure.
~ Carl Sagan