Maybe we should start a Netflix originals thread

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Crackpot

Maybe we should start a Netflix originals thread

Post by Crackpot »

Watched Mute last night. And is that movie a lot to unpack. It’s By Duncan Jones who did Moon which I know a few of you here also enjoyed. This movie exists in the same world (as evidenced by a cameo(s) of Sam Rockwell.

Brief synopsis: it’s about a mute Amish guy searching through the seedier parts of a Futuristic Berlin to find his missing girlfriend.

Not a movie to watch if you’re feeling fragile
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Re: Maybe we should start a Netflix originals thread

Post by Crackpot »

Just started watching “Santa Clarita Diet” last weekend and a so far so good. Took a Couple of episodes for people to find thier characters and timing but it Ahas had me laughing since.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I like Timothy Olyphant so I'll have to check out Santa Clarita -- who knows, some of the other zombie shows are pretty good.

I enjoyed the first season of Atypical about a high functioning autistic teenager.

We have actually covered a lot of Netflix originals in various threads; it's amazing how much content they have developed in such a short time.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

He’s really good in it. A bit different than other roles I’ve seen him in. (I don’t recall ever seeing him in a broad comedic role)

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Not an original, but the 3rd season of Better Call Saul is now available on Netflix...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote:Not an original, but the 3rd season of Better Call Saul is now available on Netflix...
While we impatiently await season 4, not expected until the fall.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Seven Seconds is a good 10-episode series. Good cast; interesting, heroic and flawed characters; pretty good story line, it seems like it is traipsing down well-worn stereotype paths but then it gets more complicated and original. Seven Seconds is worth the time ;)

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Long Run wrote:
Lord Jim wrote:Not an original, but the 3rd season of Better Call Saul is now available on Netflix...
While we impatiently await season 4, not expected until the fall.

The highly anticipated fourth season of Better Call Saul is back this week.

Episode one is premiering on AMC in the US on Monday, August 6.
:ok
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Eat. Race. Win.

An Amazon original on Prime, follows the chef for the Orica Scott cycling team as they complete Le Tour. It’s essentially a documentary from the 2017 race. Interesting insight and more of beautiful France and it’s farmers and markets. It was pretty light weight, perfect for a hot summer evening if you don’t feel like going to the movies. 6 episodes, 45 mins each.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Magic for Human with Justin Willman is good entertainment as a Netflix original. Magic (okay, illusions) combined with good story telling, and having fun. Much like The Carbonara Effect on Tru TV, but more polished and better tricks (okay, illusions). If you are weighed down by police drams, but don't want pure fluff, give either or both of these a try.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

This is another one that Netflix is calling "A Netflix Original" that actually originated as a BBC show...

Peaky Blinders

So far there are 24 episodes available in 4 six episode seasons; we just finished up the last available season...(It's still in production; season five should be out in early 2019)

Great quality stuff for anyone who likes "period" crime dramas...

It's sort of The Godfather meets Boardwalk Empire set in Birmingham England from 1919 into the mid-1920s:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/

I 'm sure I watch more British TV than the average American, but I was still unfamiliar with most of the main cast, (except of course for Sam Neill, the only real "name" actor in the show, who plays the police inspector foil to the Shelby crime family for the first two seasons)

The characters are richly developed and complex. (And they evolve and grow over time.) The acting, writing, direction and cinematography are all first rate...

(One of my favorite characters is a Jewish gangster named Alfie Solomons, played brilliantly by Tom Hardy)

The underlying theme; crime family leader who wants to transition to legitimacy but keeps finding that to be problematic is of course one that's been done many times before (starting with The Godfather and most recently in the Starz series Power) but this is a really well crafted version of that theme...

The only artistic complaint I have about the show is that for some inexplicable reason, somebody thought it would be a good idea to toss in some contemporary heavy metal riffs as background music from time to time, which I found to unnecessarily undermine the period feel that the show otherwise meticulously creates...(I guess somebody thought this would be "artsy" and "hip" but it doesn't work for me; I just found it to be an annoying and out-of-place distraction.)

The show probably isn't for everybody; if you're looking for clear cut villains and heroes you won't find an abundance of them here...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Netflix's 'Maniac' is seriously messing with people's heads

I've seen some people really hate it, some are bewildered, some in love. I'm liking it very much so far, 5 episodes in. Darkly comic and, um, let's go with "eccentric" storytelling. I think it's intended to make you question your perception of reality, normality and interpersonal relationships, among other things.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

LJ, you should check out other work of both Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy; both are really terrific actors whose work I have never found wanting.

Peaky Blinders has been in my queue a long time now.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:Magic for Human with Justin Willman is good entertainment as a Netflix original. Magic (okay, illusions) combined with good story telling, and having fun. Much like The Carbonara Effect on Tru TV, but more polished and better tricks (okay, illusions). If you are weighed down by police drams, but don't want pure fluff, give either or both of these a try.
Another hearty endorsement for Magic for Humans, a delightful show. (I especially like the "Magic for Susans" bits.)

And now that I've finished Maniac, I offer a qualified endorsement. The general weirdness and mind-bending effects of the storyline are interesting and well done. The later episodes get a bit too explainy and occasionally veer into a bit too-broad comedy for my taste, probably in an effort to relieve audience discomfort. YMMV. I thought the ending was inconsistent with the tone set by the previous episodes, but this is TV, not a novel, so I get why. Emma Stone is fantastic throughout. Jonah Hill does an unexpectedly good job, but I have mixed feelings about what is either his performance or the director's choices in rendering his character, can't tell which. In any event, I recommend watching.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

22 July - coming October 10th to Netflix, depicts the mass murder in Oslo, Norway in 2011. The trailer is compelling.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Couple of foreign entries recently enjoyed on Netflix:

1. Derry Girls, a fun escape from drama fests, set in 1990s Ireland. And you can understand most of what they say.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7120662/?ref_=nv_sr_1

2. Bordertown. Finnish TV at its best! Good crime solving series, with the Finn's best imitation of Sherlock (also titled in the lead character's name, Sorjonen).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4937942/

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Just got finished last night watching season 2 of The Punisher ...

For those not familiar with the show, it's a Netflix original Marvel franchise spinoff from the Dare Devil series...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5675620/

It's a very well crafted show, but admittedly it's not for everyone; it's definitely high body-count TV...

Rambo and The Man With No Name are a couple of sandal wearin' Kumbaya singin' pacifists compared to Frank Castle...
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Why has no one here told me about Rake? "I care about the law. It's justice I don't give a toss about."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GAH!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's been on my list but I haven't gotten to it yet...
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Well, I've finished three seasons of Rake, two more to go. I thought the first season was terrific. In each of the following two, just when I thought the series was jumping the shark, it managed to veer away and redeem itself. We'll see where it ends up.
GAH!