EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by BoSoxGal »

Blast from the past - that was the rack & pinion, which I got replaced in early 2015. I took it to one of the redneck shops in my podunk cowboy town, so I hope they did it correctly - I would think if they hadn’t it would’ve failed again by now. It squeaks when turned to the extreme in either direction, but there is no leaking and it handles really well again.

What do you think that squeek might be?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You might be a little low on fluid
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot wrote:You might be a little low on fluid
I'd try drinking a tall glass of water first. If that doesn't do it, check the power steering fluid.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Blast from the past - that was the rack & pinion, which I got replaced in early 2015. I took it to one of the redneck shops in my podunk cowboy town, so I hope they did it correctly - I would think if they hadn’t it would’ve failed again by now. It squeaks when turned to the extreme in either direction, but there is no leaking and it handles really well again.

What do you think that squeek might be?
Bushings, most likely. Had it aligned lately?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Not since I got new tires put on in 2012, I’m guessing? But I fairly often check the alignment while driving, and it always holds very straight when I let go of the wheel.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I'm not sure what is adjustable on a RAV4...I would bet very little in front (considering it has struts, probably only toe), but more might be in back. Do the tires wear evenly?

I fervently hope they aligned it after doing the steering rack!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes, I thought of that after writing my response - I’m quite certain an alignment was part of the bill for that job. My tires wear very evenly and are rotated pretty religiously.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Took Reva to the shop today with the Rock Auto boxes; turns out the front pipe they sent, which is in their catalogue as fitting my year/model vehicle, isn’t even close. I ordered it with some hesitation because there was no photo available attached to the part description - which I could’ve compared to the Toyota dealer’s parts diagram. Now I get to send it back and spend another $150 to get the right part from the Toyota discount parts dealer as I’d previously planned.

Just another experience of the old adage: When something seems too good to be true - it probably is!
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Tried Auto Zone or Advance?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

So...how is it running?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Not bad; I still haven’t had enough time off in weeks to get the new catalytic and the back O2 sensor put on, but the CE light went off and hasn’t come back on in weeks. I assume it’s either burnt out, or the new O2 sensor in front eventually broke in enough to balance the back one or whatever?

Anyway, I worked 80 hours the past week covering shifts for a coworker in addition to my own, so I’ve got all next week off and will finally get it done. Need to ask him to check out why I keep losing the coolant level in the reservoir- it’s been running at usual temperature and it’s not leaking anywhere I can see, so I’m puzzled about that.

Had to put a salvage hood on Reva a couple of weeks back; I’d opened the hood to readjust the windshield wiper fluid line as it was pinched and not flowing, then apparently despite my checking I hadn’t actually latched the hood back down. Got on the highway and about when I got up to 55mph the hood flew up toward my windshield, though the top metal frame of the roof prevented it from actually shattering my windshield. It was kind of terrifying, but luckily it was 7:30am Sunday morning and almost nobody on the road. Hood was too badly bent to latch; a trooper stopped right after I pulled off and he called AAA for me because they come quicker when the fuzz calls. While I waited on the tow truck, I searched online and found a 2000 RAV in the same color as Reva at a salvage yard up the road in Plympton, and took my cousin’s car to pick up a hood and front right fender too (because mine was damaged a few years back by uninsured motorist and I’ve just been riding the dents). My mechanic changed out the hoods and did a decent job; it’s not fitted perfectly but it’s functional. This new hood never lived out West so if you’re paying close attention you can see it’s a bit darker than the rest of my car, which spent a decade fading under the blistering AZ and MT suns. So now no more clear coat fail except the entire roof, which most folks don’t see.

I’m glad to know there is a near identical RAV just up the road I can pilfer for parts as Reva continues to age.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

No roof rack on It? :)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sadly, no! There is one at a salvage over in Fort Murray NJ, if I ever get around to driving there. I’ve passed a few RAVs around here identical to mine but with rack, and have been tempted to follow them home to ask if they want to sell the rack - lots of people never even use them at all! But I suspect I’ll end up going aftermarket after all.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Have you checked local salvage yards, and LKQ? There are some REALLY big salvage yards in southeastern MA. MAS, Freedman's, W. Pittsley, and Hank Zion in Middleboro, Tiverton Auto Parts in RI, and the Chuckran's in Bridgewater, which is enormous.

Just found one in Florida...for $650. :arg

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s a much newer model; the first generation like mine had no roof rails, only cross bars - like this:

~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Reva's got a new noise - a squealing noise at start up that goes away when I apply the brakes, and is usually gone after a few miles of driving. Must be brake-related, right? I'm used to squeaks when applying the brakes, rather than when they're not applied. Air in the brake line? Brake fluid issue? Brakes seem ok. I'm nervous about a brake-related thing because I drive among the insane on the highways of greater Boston - but I can't take her to my mechanic until next week and I have a work shift tomorrow-Saturday that requires me driving among the insane on 24/95; I can leave extra early and take the back state routes instead, but just wondering if any of the gearheads can tell me what this might be and if it's super dangerous or maybe just something that does need checking but I shouldn't freak out over?
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

BSG sez: Brakes seem ok.
Does that mean they are stopping you safely (for now,) or there is plenty of surface on the shoes and pads?

The squealing noise could be from your brake surface wear indicators. Or maybe a stuck caliper that eases up as the surface temperature rises.

You seem to be somewhat versed in auto repair and, if you check out a couple of YouTube vids, you might feel comfortable changing your own brakes.

Keep in mind, as Reva ages, even more maintenance will be necessary. A repair of the week -- so to speak. Be thankful brake problems are fairly simple to fix.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

They are stopping me safely for now - I've been giving myself extra room just in case.

My mechanic is very reasonable and he has to have the car up on the lift next week anyway to put in the new catalytic and the O2 sensor that I've had sitting on my dining room floor for weeks, so I'll have him check the brakes and do what's necessary then. I would not be surprised if they needed replacing finally - the last brake job was at the very end of 2008 or early 2009 when my then BF installed ceramic pads that he insisted on me buying, and they've been worth every single penny they cost me considering how long they've lasted.

I looked up DIY and it doesn't look that bad for just swapping out the pads, but considering it's been 10 years, maybe the rotors need work too? I'll let Leo take a look and trust his advice - he won't persuade me to do more than needs doing, and if he thinks pads only will be fine, I'll take a shot at it if I can find the tools and jack/jack stands I'd need to do it here at home.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

With regard to the frequency of repairs issue . . . I found an interesting article online that I've now lost, but it was basically an analysis of when it is financially prudent to replace a vehicle rather than repair it. The calculation was pretty much the same I've been doing all along, balancing the cost of financing a newer used vehicle (which can have any kind of repair pop up too, you never know) and the associated increased costs of insurance, registration, excise tax, etc. balanced against the average monthly repair cost I'm spending on Reva.

Reva is still very much in the lead; while it would be nice to have a more perfect interior and paint job, maybe a sunroof and heated seats too, a newer vehicle with all of those things wouldn't have any of the memories attached and the age of vehicle in my current price range could very well have all kinds of repairs lurking in addition to the costs of a payment, higher insurance, etc. Reva is just at 184k and the repairs I've been doing are all very expected for her mileage. Her last brake job was 10 years ago, so this is also very expected. She still has very little rust thanks to her decade out West, and RAVs are commonly on the road up to 300k and beyond. Installing the new catalytic pipe and O2 sensor is a $500 job total, and brakes will run around $500-$1000 if I have my mechanic do them and if I need both axles with rotors and pads. It's hard to think of anything else she'd need this year (knock wood), so a little over a hundred a month still way lower than monthly cost for a newer car, and these repairs will last until she croaks. I suspect her 'croaking' will ultimately be 1) her body finally rusts so that she's no longer safe, or 2) I finally get tired of driving her and want something shinier.

I'm not expecting #2 to happen anytime soon - for a brief moment when I contemplated the client's Subaru I started looking at Foresters and Crosstreks on the highway, and even the newer RAVs (just not as cool as the original styling), and wanted a new vehicle - mostly for the heated seats and sunroof. But then I got a heated massaging seat cover for my driver's seat, and I remembered that the roof of my car is all messed up and that's perfect for carrying a kayak around all summer, and how I only spend $40/mo. on insurance and I buy gas and that's it, and I don't have to worry about scratching my car because she's all beat up and really don't worry about her being stolen because who would? and also that I'm still really thinking in a few years (shhhh after Bear goes over the Rainbow Bridge) I'd like to work abroad for a while and it would be nice not to have a vehicle to worry about storing or selling or still paying for then.

So yeah, Reva for now and she'll keep costing me money now and again but that's ok - that's why I keep a car repairs savings account.
~ Carl Sagan