Yeah Baby...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Big RR

Re: Yeah Baby...

Post by Big RR »

Jim--they actually broadcast the Redskins game in your area? Or do you have something like Sunday ticket that gives you every game?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Big RR, for some reason the local FOX affiliate does seem to show a fair number of the Redskins games...

They've carried three of the eight games they've played so far this season, (and I also of course got the Monday night game) and they carried about half of them last season...
Or do you have something like Sunday ticket that gives you every game?
If Comcast or any other streaming service had some kind of season ticket available I would purchase it but I've looked and looked and all I can find for that is through satellite...

With the vast amount of viewing options we already have with Xfinity and the streaming services, it seems a little excessive to me to buy a Dish Network package on top of that...

With all the viewers it represents and cash it has, I've had trouble understanding why Comcast hasn't been able to cut a deal with the NFL to offer that kind of package...
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I agree, I have been waiting for that satellite service to open to cable companies, but it looks like it's not going to happen--it's the one differentiator from cable that satellite services have ( ihave a friend who has it and occasionally watch 49er games with him, but I'm not about to pay for Dish to get it, even if the Rams are winning).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I finally convinced my cousins to give up cable TV; they're now saving $200/month and getting all the cable channels they ever watched through YouTubeTV, with access to all the regular sports they ever watched on local broadcast (included on YouTubeTV) and cable broadcast channels. Now granted they're not rabid sports watchers, but for those who are, sports-only channels can be added on to a $99/yearly Amazon Prime membership or purchased from Roku (that's what we use) or other streaming access providers.

I'm really surprised that anybody is watching cable anymore; I think a lot of the folks who are just don't realize how incredibly simple and low cost the alternatives are. Just food for thought for the dinos here . . . ;)

PS: One of the things I absolutely love about YouTubeTV is that the 'dvr' recording space is infinite, so you don't have to worry about running out of space to record your favorite shows. Every morning whatever time I get up, I can dial up Morning Joe and start from the beginning - today I got up and going around 8am, and dialed into 6am Morning Joe. Between pauses for chores and going out with the dog, it's almost 11am and I'm still finishing it up - but it's really my favorite of the daytime political shows, so I don't mind missing Stephanie Ruhle (who sadly has a really grating voice) or the other morning shows that come after my cuppa. :mrgreen:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--you are right about the alternatives, but since I still want cable internet service, the incremental charge for cable TV services is not all that much more (although it will differ based on what package you take, I'm sure); $200 a month for cable is pretty obscene. Indeed, it's this bundling that is the primary reason for me still having a landline.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My cousins had a cable bundle, too - they gave up the landline (which was only used by telemarketers) and upgraded to a faster cable-based internet service and still saved @ $200/mo. - and they didn't have a lot of premium channels. It's Verizon FIOS internet and associated cable. The super fast cable based internet access is now $40-$50/mo., and YouTubeTV is $40/mo.

You might want to talk to your cable service about how much YOU could save, if any.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

thanks BSG, it's worth a shot; I have found the providers very will to provide discounts when you negotiate with them, and we have bene pretty lucky to get them, but I don't think my bundle even costs $200 a month, more like around $140, and the base internet is $90 a month. I'm sure it depends on location (I have Verizon fios as well), but it does look like the cable internet rates are dropping. I think we are up for renewal next year so I will have to see what I can do.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote:Big RR, for some reason the local FOX affiliate does seem to show a fair number of the Redskins games...

They've carried three of the eight games they've played so far this season, (and I also of course got the Monday night game) and they carried about half of them last season...
It is not that odd. There's a game on Thursday, another Sunday night, at least one game and sometimes two on Monday, and the traditional Sunday day-time two games on Fox and two on CBS, so the games are more spread out than ever. Add in that your team usually plays in the eastern time zone, which would be the morning in the west, and your local teams usually play in the afternoon, and note the NFC East has the largest tv markets, so it makes sense we would see a lot of D.C., NYG, Dallas and Philadelphia football in the Pacific time zone.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Very depressing...

A season that started off with so much promise, but it's tough to stay in contention when you've lost two starting quarterbacks and half your starting offensive line half-way though the season... :(

ImageImageImage

RayThom

Yeah Baby...

Post by RayThom »

Just wait til next year.

BTW -- the Eagles are still on life support, wheezing and puffing, setting up for next Sunday's BIG game against the Redsticks.

"... any given Sunday."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

On any given Sunday. . . . and on this one the Birds did it again, if only by two points.

snailgate.

RayThom

Yeah Baby...

Post by RayThom »

E...G...A...E...L...S... Egaels!

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am not a pro football fanatic. I follow it (barely) just to be able to superficially participate in local old geezer conversation. Anybody explain to me why the conventional wisdom agrees the Eagle management is looking to sell Nick Fowles at the end of this season? Last year he was Super Bowl MVP. He made the god-like QB for Boston look like a has-been. This year he has once again stepped in after the 'franchise' QB for the Eagles is out for the rest of the season and led the team to the playoffs when that looked impossible.

Why dump him?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:I am not a pro football fanatic. I follow it (barely) just to be able to superficially participate in local old geezer conversation. Anybody explain to me why the conventional wisdom agrees the Eagle management is looking to sell Nick Fowles at the end of this season? Last year he was Super Bowl MVP. He made the god-like QB for Boston look like a has-been. This year he has once again stepped in after the 'franchise' QB for the Eagles is out for the rest of the season and led the team to the playoffs when that looked impossible.

Why dump him?
Knowing almost as much about the situation as you do, BP, I would assume he's nearing the end of his current contract and the Iggle's management knows that, based on the Super Bowl win/MVP and his performance this season, he is going to be asking for the moon in terms of money; there might even be rumors that he thinks *HE* should be the 'franchise' player and not the other guy. So by shopping him around to someone else, they can still pay their (sidelined) superstar QB and have room to try to find another backup to him at a more economical price.

Football isn't just about winning games; it's about winning them *AND* doing it as cheaply as possible, thus putting more money into the owners' and investors' pockets.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Yeah Baby...

Post by RayThom »

All PRO sports are played in the "off season."

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have to agree BB; if you have a player capable of being a starter (and not wanting to assume the backup role) who can be peddled for a lot of capital, it makes sense to do it. Why sit with an overpaid, unhappy player in the backup spot?

As for whether he should be the starter, I don't follow the eagles closely enough to say anything about that.

RayThom

Yeah Baby...

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:... As for whether he should be the starter, I don't follow the eagles closely enough to say anything about that.
Nick Foles is in it to win it.

Nick Foles' future with Eagles will be forecasted Sunday in New Orleans
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news ... po99l2l9sn

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The Eagles punched above their weight last season to get where they got, and this year they have been the luckiest bunch of bastards who ever donned shoulder pads...

For whatever reason, God appears to have become a Philadelphia Eagles fan...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote: For whatever reason, God appears to have become a Philadelphia Eagles fan...
Or maybe Glenn Frey is looking out for them. 8-)

RayThom

Yeah Baby...

Post by RayThom »

DOUBLE DOINK!