KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
dales

KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by dales »

Every holiday season, 96.5 KOIT is a dependable radio destination for Bay Area listeners to find Christmas songs playing all day long.

But this year, at least a couple songs — most notably the divisive 1944 standard "Baby It's Cold Outside" — won't be on rotation.

KOIT follows another radio station in Cleveland, Ohio called Star 102, which pulled the song from their playlist when listeners complained the song's lyrics suggested date rape.

"The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended," DJ Glenn Anderson wrote on the station website, "but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place."[I wonder how the chucklehead feels about rap music's depiction of women as "bitches and hos"?]

People are upset about 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer'

'Baby' controversy still persists

KOIT Program Director Brian Figula said he began receiving similar complaints this year as a result of Star 102's move to ban the song.

"The #MeToo Movement has really opened our eyes and really made us look at content and lyrics," Figula told KGO. "I think we need to do a deep dive. It depends on how extremely we want to do this. There's a song by Pentatonix called Hallelujah and there are some negative comments and some negative language in there so we decided to remove that song as well."

In addition to "Baby It's Cold Outside" and Pentatonix's version of "Hallelujah," KOIT also received a complaint about "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" because the song "promoted bullying."

Not everyone is onboard with KOIT's decision. Responses to the ban on Twitter and Facebook are divided.
"There's quite a bit of music out there that would make women uncomfortable, based on this assessment," wrote one tweeter. "Radio stations might run out of music to play if that's the case."

"The song is clearly about a woman that WANTS to stay but is worried about what SOCIETY might think of her," added another.

The controversy around the song has nevertheless inspired think pieces in recent years, from NPR, Vox, USA Today and others, with the latter calling for the song to "fade away with 2017."

Lyrics for the original 1944 version of "Baby It's Cold Outside," written by Frank Loesser, are below:

(I really can't stay) But, baby, it's cold outside
(I've got to go away) But, baby, it's cold outside
(This evening has been) Been hoping that you'd drop in
(So very nice) I'll hold your hands they're just like ice

(My mother will start to worry) Beautiful, what's your hurry
(My father will be pacing the floor) Listen to the fireplace roar
(So really I'd better scurry) Beautiful, please don't hurry
(Well, maybe just half a drink more) Put some records on while I pour
(The neighbors might think) Baby, it's bad out there
(Say what's in this drink) No cabs to be had out there
(I wish I knew how) Your eyes are like starlight now
(To break this spell) I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
(I ought to say no, no, no, sir) Mind if I move in closer
(At least I'm gonna say that I tried) What's the sense of hurting my pride
(I really can't stay) Baby, don't hold doubt
Baby, it's cold outside
(I simply must go) Baby, it's cold outside
(The answer is no) Baby, it's cold outside
(The welcome has been) How lucky that you dropped in
(So nice and warm) Look out the window at the storm
(My sister will be suspicious) Gosh your lips look delicious
(My brother will be there at the door) Waves upon a tropical shore
(My maiden aunt's mind is vicious) Gosh your lips are delicious
(But maybe just a cigarette more) Never such a blizzard before
(I got to get home) But, baby, you'd freeze out there
(Say lend me a coat) It's up to your knees out there
(You've really been grand) I thrill when you touch my hand
(But don't you see) How can you do this thing to me
(There's bound to be talk tomorrow) Think of my life long sorrow
(At least there will be plenty implied) If you caught pneumonia and died
(I really can't stay) Get over that old doubt
Baby, it's cold
Baby, it's cold outside

SFGATE has reached out to 96.5 KOIT for further comment.

Alyssa Pereira is an SFGATE staff writer. Email her at apereira@sfchronicle.com or find her on Twitter at @alyspereira.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Re: KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by Joe Guy »

Gee.... I wonder what they would think of the new Christmas song I just wrote? It's called, "It's freezing out there, bitch, If you don't put out, I'll put you out there."

RayThom

KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Really anti PC crowd?! This is where you’re going to make your stand? This song is a cultural anachronism at best. A holdover from a time that women couldn’t express a desire to be with a man and not be socially ostracized. In today’s world it doesn’t read like it once did.

And what the fuck is with the gangster rap comparison? I have yet to find one argument that doesn’t drag out this feeble attempt at an argument. As if 2 Live Crew is a holiday staple.

For fucks sake even when it was popular it was never passed off as fine family entertainment. Now it is looked back upon as a product of its time and largely relegated to the dustbin of history which is where Baby It’s Cold Outside would be if not for people nostalgic for a time when you could intimidate and shame a woman into sex under the guise of prevailing social mores.

And while I’m at it why cite #MeToo as a reason to stop playing the song? Don’t you shitheads have faith in your own convictions to make an argument based on your own rationale without hiding behind and deflecting blame onto something else. Fucking moral cowards.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Gee CP, if you don't stop straddling that fence you're going to give yourself a hernia...

8-)
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’ve been inundated with this shit and i’m frankly tired of hearing it. Especially since there is a total lack of a coherent argument against its retirement. FFS you may as well be complaining that Mr. Robato is no longer a hit song.

RayThom

KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by RayThom »

Christian Listening To 'Baby It's Cold Outside' Wondering Why Unmarried Couple Is Alone In The First Place
https://babylonbee.com/news/christian-l ... irst-place

CP... great ' /s '. I had a vision of Dana Carvey's "Grumpy Old Man" throughout the rant.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

As long as we're ragging on Christmas songs, let's give the ol' heave-ho to that greed-driven litany entitled "Santa Baby". The female singer runs down a list of expensive goodies and trinkets running the gamut from rings to fur coats to cars to platinum mines that she expects Sugar Daddy ... uh, "Santa Baby" to bestow upon her.

Yeah, whenever I think of Christmas, it's not the birth of the Messiah, angels, stars, shepherds, and peace on earth that my mind envisions. Nope, it's definitely a case of "gimme-gimme, lemme have, and whaddaya got?" to see just what kind of a material haul I can rake in...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Not to forget my favorite Janis Joplin lament, 'O Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz" Last verse is not so greedy, just one night.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?

snailgate

dales

Post by dales »

I like the part where she alludes to wanting a color TV because "Dialing for Dollars" is trying to call me.

"Dialing for Dollars" was a KTVU Channel 2 staple for much of the 1960's and early 1970's.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I remember Dialing for Dollars. What a time suck that was, who knows what trouble could have been had but for kids watching that silliness.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

As I recall, Baby it's Cold Outside was originally in a movie of the 30s or 40s where "seduction" lyrics were sung by a woman to Red Skelton who was trying to "escape." I personally can see nothing indicating date rape in the lyrics (OK, maybe "Say, what's in this drink?", but it was a different time where aphrodisiacs were pretty much unknown, as was rendering a woman unconscious to have one's way with her), and it seems more like the guy just pleading for a little from a woman who was clearly calling the shots, but that's just me. Then again, people have to bitch about something.

And CP, I have to agree that it's not really that great a song (although it runs circles around Dominick the Donkey), nor would I mind it being not played (there's a lot of Christmas songs I would put on that list); I just object to it being not played because some seem to think it "encourages date rape". That's a pretty specious argument against it.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Taken by todays standards it does. As such it can no longer be considered a “timeless classic”. To be understood as it was meant to be you have to view it through the eyes of the time. As such ending its use as annoying background feel good noise is completely justified. (And personally as Christmas music goes this particular song makes me want to kill everyone in sight until the void stop far less than most)

RayThom

KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by RayThom »

"The Smerch" has a nice take on this song. It does get a bit creepy when you see the clip of "Bill Cosby" singing it. Also, keep in mind this song is neither a Christmas song nor a Holiday song. It's mere a song about inclement winter weather.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

CP--
Taken by todays standards it does [encourage date rape].
You really believe that? I don't see it at all.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

RayThom wrote:"The Smerch" has a nice take on this song. It does get a bit creepy when you see the clip of "Bill Cosby" singing it. Also, keep in mind this song is neither a Christmas song nor a Holiday song. It's mere a song about inclement winter weather.

A lot of so-called "Hholiday" songs are not related to Christmas or any Holidays, from Frosty to Sleigh Ride to Jingle Bells.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Big RR wrote:CP--
Taken by todays standards it does [encourage date rape].
You really believe that? I don't see it at all.
How would you describe allusions to having ones drink spiked persisting after a clear no and repeatedly ignoring someone s pleas to leave?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, if you really believe they are singing about "spiking" a drink with an aphrodisiac, I can't argue with you, but I don't see it that way. I see it more as a cross between begging and being pushy, with an equivocal (not a clear) no--something very different IMHO. He's more trying to convince her to stay (and do the related things) rather than being forceful or trying to make her pass out so he can have his way. Hell, I recall doing the same in the back seat of my car during high school, trying to change her mind from no to yes. If it worked, fine; if not, we both drove home frustrated. I don't see that as date rape or anything improper.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:Well, if you really believe they are singing about "spiking" a drink with an aphrodisiac, I can't argue with you, but I don't see it that way. I see it more as a cross between begging and being pushy, with an equivocal (not a clear) no--something very different IMHO. He's more trying to convince her to stay (and do the related things) rather than being forceful or trying to make her pass out so he can have his way. Hell, I recall doing the same in the back seat of my car during high school, trying to change her mind from no to yes. If it worked, fine; if not, we both drove home frustrated. I don't see that as date rape or anything improper.
Careful what you say there, Big RR. People have lost their jobs, their reputations, and their liberty over statements less incriminating than that one.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?