EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by BoSoxGal »

Oh and any recommendations for brands to look at or stay away from in purchasing pads/rotors are welcome, too!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:Oh and any recommendations for brands to look at or stay away from in purchasing pads/rotors are welcome, too!
Almost all after-market brake parts are reliable but prices can vary quite a lot. I suspect Rock Auto will be cheapest but it's mail order. A few years ago I put new rotors and brakes all around on my '10 Forte that I bought from Pep Boys -- "on sale." I went with their ProStop brand -- four rotors were $16 each, front metallic pads $13, rears $10. Replacement took me about two hours. BTW -- as I compressed the pistons the fluid reservoir went back to 'full' so I didn't have a need to bleed the system.

Recently I rotated my tires and, as usual, I checked the brake and there was still plenty of surface visible -- easily a 6 rating. That said, don't shy away from Pep Boys if they quote you a good price. Auto Zone is good, Advance is good but always more expensive. Regardless, if you buy a bunch of parts ask the manager to give you a discount. They'll usually comply.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

I have found that cheap rotors tend to warp prematurely. I usually go with AutoZone's or O'Reilly's next step up. I've never had a customer complaint about them. Pep Boys pulled out of the local market several years ago.

I buy a lot of stuff from http://www.RockAuto.com too, but the weight of brake rotors causes high shipping costs. Put them in your shopping cart, and then click on "calculate shipping". You can always delete them from your cart.

I have saved as much as 2/3 the cost of locally sourced parts on Rock Auto parts. I've never gotten a bad part from them, although I have Ford blend door actuator sitting on my work bench in a box clearly labeled "door lock actuator". I'm not sure how that happened, but the part was $16 opposed to $45 from AZ. Mercedes motor mounts $26 each X2. AZ, $75. At least their boxes were correctly labeled.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

It might be as simple as the warm, dry weather has your brakes covered with dust. I know that lately, my (white) car is covered with dust after only a couple hours.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Oh and any recommendations for brands to look at or stay away from in purchasing pads/rotors are welcome, too!
Like MG, I like RA...though, yes, rotors are pricey to ship.

Failing that, I like Auto Zone's Duralast-rotors are only $30 each. Duralast pads are $22. I wouldn't use the Valucraft pads. The last time I did brakes, shipping costs meant that local purchase was cheaper than Rock Auto.

If you go to Auto Zone, try this:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I fractured my lateral malleolus and 5th metatarsal in a household accident a few days before New Year’s Day; the vehicle hasn’t been started since as I won’t be able to drive for 5 more weeks, minimum.

My question is, do I just let it sit, or on what schedule should it be started up and run a bit? Taking it for a ride isn’t likely, so I’m looking for an idling schedule, unless it’s better to just let it sit.

Thanks in advance for automotive advice; no need to compliment my mobility shortcomings, although my ortho says it takes special talent to break an ankle and foot bone at the same time just while walking (usually happens in MVAs).
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Id be most concerned about the battery. problem is idling is not the best for recharging
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

wesw

Post by wesw »

well, mg mechanic or BP or jarl, or Datsun might know more...., but....

...my truck sat for three years and it runs so I will chime in.

the biggest obstacle to a car sitting today is the friggin ethanol in your gasoline. don t get me started.....

I tried to start my truck every two weeks (but usually it was every month....)

when you do start it, let it idle until it reaches full operating temperature, and babysit it and watch the temp gauge just in case there is some coolant or oil issue that pops up....

there are condensation issues if you just start it for a minute....

the gas in the carb bowl will lacquer up the fastest, imo. but you probably have feul injection.

also, having a full tank of gas will make it last longer without going bad, as there will be less oxygen In the tank.

but really, for just 5 weeks you could probably just do nothing and be fine, but I would start it now and then anyway.

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

There's not a lot to do here. Start it up a few times a week just to "blow it out" OR do nothing and in five weeks -- or so -- if it doesn't start call AAA for a jump.

How is the antifreeze mixture?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s got a 50/50 premixed antifreeze and I can check levels and top off if necessary. The gas tank is fairly full, 3/4? The battery is 3 years old and has performed well; I’ve got AAA and a good mechanic down the road so maybe I’ll just leave it sit unless it has to be moved for snow removal.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

sounds like a plan.

don t forge to gently stretch that bad wheel as it heals. not much at first, you want the bones to set, but after that you need to rip a little muscle tissue every coupe of days to keep mobility.

I hope you heal nicely.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks; as some folks here might recall, I broke the other ankle 12 years ago this month, and it was the plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis after the bone healed that really made my life miserable - for over a year! So I am mindful to stretch as much as possible. I’m also being super careful these first few weeks, as my ortho tells me the 5th metatarsal is prone to displacement and poor healing - right now mine is perfectly aligned so I’m being ridiculously careful about keeping the boot on and staying off it as much as possible. Next scans are tomorrow and hopefully everything is still nice & straight!
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:It’s got a 50/50 premixed antifreeze and I can check levels and top off if necessary. The gas tank is fairly full, 3/4? The battery is 3 years old and has performed well; I’ve got AAA and a good mechanic down the road so maybe I’ll just leave it sit unless it has to be moved for snow removal.
That. Idling isn't good for it, especially in cold weather. If possible, a shot of Sta-Bil in the gas might help.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Thanks; as some folks here might recall, I broke the other ankle 12 years ago this month, and it was the plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis after the bone healed that really made my life miserable - for over a year! So I am mindful to stretch as much as possible. I’m also being super careful these first few weeks, as my ortho tells me the 5th metatarsal is prone to displacement and poor healing - right now mine is perfectly aligned so I’m being ridiculously careful about keeping the boot on and staying off it as much as possible. Next scans are tomorrow and hopefully everything is still nice & straight!
Do you need me to come down and duct tape things in place? :nana

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

No good deed goes unpunished; when I had Reva tuned up a little more than a year ago, my mechanic mentioned I should keep an eye on the head gasket because it might be starting to leak. I’d never had any issue with that before nor any oil leaking whatsoever, so I was a bit puzzled but just shrugged it off. It hasn’t been going through much oil or anything but all of a sudden the past few weeks - since it sat for 6 without being turned on - it’s leaking oil. Pretty decent amount on my driveway. :cry:

A head gasket replacement is crazy expensive according to repairpal.com

Please tell me there is some middle path that can keep her on the road a while longer?

I can’t put $2k into her right now, but if I could do payments (I think my mechanic would let me, he told me he does that for people when they need their car to work, which I do), should I do it? She’s got so many other new parts and hardly a speck of rust, maybe it’s worth it if it means I get that extra couple of years . . .

I’d really like to quit owning a car after Reva dies - just don’t have my life sorted out that way quite yet.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Hold on, BSG...don't panic yet. Slow down, deep breath. Grab a good flashlight and a couple rags. Open the hood, check the oil, coolant, and power steering. Try to see where the oil came from. If oil and coolant are OK, stick a rag in the stuff on the ground. What does it look like, what color is it?

Basically, if it's actually engine oil, where is it coming from, and how much has actually leaked? (A small leak can leave a BIG stain.)

I ask because a head gasket simply doesn't have any oil going past it unless the engine is running.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I can tell you without even looking that I definitely have a power steering fluid leak, but I've had that a long while - when they did the rack & pinion replacement in the dusty cowboy town, I don't think they did such a great job.

This patch is much larger and would have to mean a much bigger leak problem if it's the power steering. I'll go look at the color and such.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Do you know WHERE the power steering is leaking?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nope. I'm gonna have to take it down the street and let him put it on the lift because I'm not really up to pulling myself under a car anymore. I used to when I was younger! Now I worry I won't get back up. :lol:
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

BSG, think "simplest things" first. This doesn't sound like a head gasket to me... yet.

Let's hope your mechanic is honest, I don't want him/her replacing it just because it was mentioned last year.

Good luck.