Mrs. [Husband's First Name] Marvel

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
RayThom

Post by RayThom »

What the fuck... Captain Marvel as a woman? Are you kidding me?

A suspension of disbelief? It just ain't possible. There's not even a lead male character to tell the so-called 'captain' what to do.

PFFT! Totally unreal. Who's going to stay at home and cook and do the laundry? This abomination will quickly become the end to all action movies.

The only women who will be empowered by this chick flick are the flannel shirt wearing crowd -- if you know what I mean.

https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon ... ain-marvel
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Mrs. [Husband's First Name] Marvel

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jesus Christ on a pony!  Whatinthehell is next??  'Zorro' in a black mask, hat, cape, and bra and garter belt?  Howzabout a movie about the legendary lumberja- ... er, lumberjill named 'Paula Bunyan'?

The world has gone nuckin' futz.  Any day now I expect to find an article about how they intend to remake the classic "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" with an all-male cast, or a version of "Morte d'Arthur" with a co-ed Round Table.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I eagerly await the Wonder Man movie, with his invisible airplane and golden lasso. After all, just look at the chest of Wonder Woman in all the visual portrayal--she clearly ain't no Amazon.

snailgate.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Wonder Man: Ambiguously gay, and fabulously trendy.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

How about Wonder Tranny....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:How about Wonder Tranny....

I know that in this country we have the freedom to 'be ourselves' ... but there should be a line drawn somewhere.
And this cos-player (hey — I'm tryin' to be polite here!) just pole-vaulted over it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

a black mask, hat, cape, and bra and garter belt
You say that like it's a Bad Thing...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Captain marvel has been a woman on and off since 1982.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yes, the Captain seems to have undergone several sex change operations over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_M ... el_Comics)
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Jim--the link didn't work for me, but is Capt. Marvel (or at least a male version) of Shazaam? I think I read that they were the same, but I really don't know either character.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I guess I am really our of touch. I thought 'Shazaam (always followed by lighting bolt)' was the magic word that changed crippled newsboy Billie into Captain Marvel.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel/Shazam Clusterf*ck Explained
Obviously, you’re a Captain Marvel/Shazam fan, and I understand your consternation that a Marvel Comics character has absconded with the name of another hero who’s been around for 80 years. But here’s the main problem: Everyone else knows him as Shazam. Okay, there is a certain portion of comics fans — I would say way less than half, of which you are clearly one — that feels like Billy Batson is the One True Captain Marvel, but the rest of the general populace literally thinks the character’s name is Shazam anyways.
And I'm another one of them.  "Shazam" was the word (actually an acronym:  S - wisdom of Solomon, H - strength of Hercules, A - stamina of Atlas, including his invulnerability, Z - power of Zeus, including his ability to summon thunderbolts, A - courage of Achilles, M - speed of Mercury, including flight) that transformed Billy Batson into Captain Marvel — basically, Superman but with lightning bolts rather than heat vision.  That's the way it was, and that's the way they shoulda left it.
-"BB"-

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Interesting:
Fawcett, publishers of the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comics, stopped making them in the ‘50s. In the ‘60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn’t call the comic Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title.
Interesting. So Shazam is a DC character based on the first (?) version of Capt Marvel published not by Marvel comics but something called Fawcett in the 50s (was there even a Marvel comics then?). It seems that DC licensed some rights (possibly because the character was so much like superman (as Bill notes) that DC prevailed in a copyright suit?), but Marvel already trademarked Capt Marvel for another character (I'm not sure what a Kree is, but I guess it's where he or she came from). Even without the trademark problems, I doubt DC would want to use Marvel in one of their character's names, hence Shazam came about.

thanks for he info Bill.