Maybe we should start a Netflix originals thread

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Long Run

Re: Maybe we should start a Netflix originals thread

Post by Long Run »

I've tried a couple of times to start watching Rake and have not gotten past the terrible previews and lousy first minutes. If it is worth it, maybe I will hunker down and watch enough to get to the good part. Seems a far cry from Leo McKern and Rumpole.

Russian Doll is just out and very good.

Speaking of Netflix streaming and binge watching, am I the only one for whom shows run together and a few months later can't tell you one reasonable thing about series I watched? I think there are two factors at work. First, there is so much content and in every category there are similar series, making it more likely that they blend together. Second, with the weekly series format, you anticipate the next week and look forward to it, so it has a bigger impact than just going onto the next streaming episode. Of course, another factor may be GOS Syndrome.

GOS = getting old sucks

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Seems a far cry from Leo McKern and Rumpole.
From the series description, that's what I thought might have been the show's inspiration...

A kind of "hipper" (and raunchier) version of Rumpole Of The Bailey...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Finally watched the first episode of Rake last night...

I thought it was hilarious... :D

You can be a world renowned economist for 20 years, but you eat just one person...

Hugo Weaving (Lord Of The Rings, The Matrix) was particularly good as the economist/cannibal...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Watched the documentary series “the innocent man” last night (well this morning) while unable to sleep due to a bout of influenza. It chronicles some disturbing connections between to grizzly murders on a small Oklahoma town.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I didn't realize they roamed so far south. Things you learn with documentaries. :)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:funee: :ok :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You’d like it BSG

Edited to fix autocorrect that would be unintentionally insulting.
Last edited by Crackpot on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Kim's Convenience is very funny. It comes in 21-22 minute episodes so you can catch a bunch at a sitting.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Netflix’s The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, is a pretty darn good telling of the real life heroes who brought down Bonnie & Clyde.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Dead to Me is another good series out this month from Netflix. Christina Applegate does a excellent job leading this dark comedy about a widow learning all sorts of things about her husband's death and his life. Well told, well acted. 10 episodes of about 30 minutes each. You can catch the whole thing in one sitting if you are so inclined.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Two good series added on Netflix recently, and a third coming back soon...

Designated Survivor (cancelled by ABC, and picked up by Netflix) and the final season of Jessica Jones are now available...

And the long awaited 3rd season of Stranger Things arrives July 4th...

If you only buy Netflix occasionally, this might be a good time to shell out $8.99 for a month's worth...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm
Why has no one here told me about Rake? "I care about the law. It's justice I don't give a toss about."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finally got around to starting watching series one episode one last night. Good fun with some smashing looking ladies in it. Nice to see actors and locations I know for my time there again. Apparently series 5 is set in Canberra, looking forward to that.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Not on Netflix, but on hulu. Does that count?

Mrs Mc loves old westerns. She's seen every Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rifleman, Rawhide (and many others) ever made. The other night we were looking for a show and stumbled across what we thought was a standard western called Quick Draw. Um, it's far from any western we ever saw.

It is the very antithesis of Gunsmoke.

It's a very funny, but very raunchy "western" set in Great Bend Kansas. It was filmed in 2013, billed as a hulu original. For instance the proprietor of the saloon may or may not be a pillar of the community like Miss Kitty (Yeah right.) as she is definitely the "madam" to the "ladies" who work upstairs. Matt Dillon would not have approved.

The 24 minute episode we streamed last night had a section about the Bender family who were real live serial killers in Labette County in the early 1870s. Yes, that's a LONG way from Great Bend, but a lot of things, well most things shown, were not truly around Great Bend. Many were Kansas related. The writers definitely did some KS related research. Of course there are tall Kansas mountains, so in that respect it is like Gunsmoke. It's quite flat around Great Bend.

Mrs Mc had never heard of the Benders, but I remembered them from a Kansas folklore book that was in my house as a kid. I googled them and found the article linked below so she could read it at her leisure. If you click on that link, there is a lengthy piece about the family.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/ks-benders/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.