Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Econoline »

Joe and Big RR are correct; this was a procedure to relieve fluid pressure within the eye. My ophthalmologist was so enthusiastic with her light sabre that she poked 5 holes in the iris before she could restrain herself. (It hurt just a little bit yesterday, but I feel fine now. Aside from the usual aches and pains from arthritis....)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Good to hear that you're fine.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yesterday I crossed "become an astronaut" from the bucket list. One more redaction and they're all done.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Yesterday I crossed "become an astronaut" from the bucket list. One more redaction and they're all done.
I don't know, but I would think you still have a good shot at being the neighborhood curmudgeon who yells get off my lawn.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I would if it were crab-grass.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Is it a bad sign when my ability to remember song lyrics from the '70s exceeds my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If those lyrics you remember from the seventies are only from disco songs, you may have a more serious problem than you realize.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I was in Trader Joe's yesterday. "Don't let me be misunderstood" by The Animals was on the sound system or whatever they call them nowadays. (And yes I know it was a Nina Simone song first.) "I bought this when it came out" I remarked to the check out guy. "When was that?" "1964, probably" I guessed. (Actually 1965 - I just looked it up.) He then asked to see my ID for the case of El Cheapo Rosso I was buying.

I blame Trump.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I’m sure his intentions were good.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I ve begun to refuse to show ID at stores lately....

if the grey beard and walking stick doesn t help them figure it out, I figure that they are too stupid to sell me the stuff.....

they have always ended up selling it to me so far.....

I m just waiting for the next time that old codger at the Walmart asks to see my receipt.... 8-)

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:I m just waiting for the next time that old codger at the Walmart asks to see my receipt.... 8-)
Let us know when that happens ...
I'd love to see the cell phone video of "crazy man with Trump hat abuses elderly WalMart greeter".

But maybe you'll catch a break and they'll blame it on your Tourette's Syndrome.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Will automotive reporters and reviewers please please *PLEASE* stop it with the word "infotainment"!!??! I hate that word, and I hate the concept it represents.

When I buy a vehicle I want to use it for TRANSPORTATION. I couldn't care less whether it gives me any info, let alone any 'tainment.

Just stop it. NOW.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

showing your age there econo. It ain't going anywhere because that's what it is and "infotainment" is a lot shorter than information and media interface and display. you don't like back up cameras? blind spot cameras? lane departure and obstruction warnings?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Bah. Get off my lawn!
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'll lend you my BB rifle, Econo! I always aim for the kids' knee caps.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

It’s not for your Econo, it’s for the kids/grandkids/millennials you will be transporting in your vehicle.

My Jeep transmission crapped out on me in late February, so I chose to sell it and get something else. I was mostly looking at 2016 models just off lease. Too much distracting crap for me, but I was happy to find something I loved that had just what I wanted and not what I didn’t want.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

CP - info is okay, I just don't think a big touchscreen full of 'tainment in the middle of the dash is the best way to get it.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What you think a small screen with smaller writing will do better?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

CP - I know I sound like an old lady, but do we *need* all of those accessories (blind spot/backup/lane departure), or are they simply additional conveniences because (1) too many people are driving while distracted and (2) the industry is continuing to work towards driverless cars.

I drove cars with all of those options. I chose one with none of them. I found them, mostly, distracting.....
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I find lane departure annoying mostly because it’s too sensitive on my wife’s car my car has 360 cameras an I love them the backup gives you a view of areas you can’t see and the others help in precicsion parking. (even has a parallel parking assist view that while I have yet to actually try but would give me more confidence the next time I have too. The bit I really find humorous about this is this is all crammed ( generally) in the area where the radio is ( the “tainment” was always there.

As for needing these things I guess you don’t need them in general just like generally you don’t need a seat belt. They are not essential to driving but there are occasions where they can be handy or even lifesaving.