And now it's 4-2

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Scooter

And now it's 4-2

Post by Scooter »

Will the Raptors be able to wrap it up at home on Monday night? The entire city will be one big party zone all night long if they do.
Last edited by Scooter on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Re: And now it's 3-1

Post by Lord Jim »

Don't count your dinosaur eggs before they hatch...

Even with all the injuries, you can't count the team that has won three of the last four championships out until the final buzzer...

ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Absolutely, no one is thinking that this is in the bag, least of all the players.

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Raptors are playing at a championship level, making the key plays, hitting the shots, keeping the pressure on. Well run organization, good fans, be cool to see them win after doing it right for so long (and I go back to the Nate Thurman/Jeff Mullins days with the Warriors and "The City" uniforms). It is looking less and less likely that Durant will be back, which is too bad; would have been great to see the best and against the best.

RayThom

And now it's 3-2

Post by RayThom »

And what about the Blues / Bruins game 6 on Sunday night?

It will probably be all over for the Bruins unless their mascot "Bird Boy" shows up and works his magic.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And victory escapes the Raptors by a single point.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Will the Raptors be able to wrap it up at home on Monday night?

Man, what a finish...

The Warriors lose Durant again in the first half, blow a second half 14 point lead to go down by six with two and a half left to play in the game, at which point they looked like they were in free fall...

Then led by a great performance by Stephen Curry they battle back to retake the lead (despite a couple of completely avoidable turn-over mistakes; a back court violation and a foul away from the ball) and pull it out by a single point thanks to a missed shot by the Raptors at the buzzer...

This was an excellent example of how I think championship level experience really comes into play...

A team without the experience of playing under this kind of pressure at this level that the Warriors have would almost certainly have folded after blowing that lead...

Now it's back to Oracle Arena for Game Six Thursday...(at least a few days to heal up... We'll find out tomorrow how bad Durant's injury is...)
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Actually, I hope Golden State takes the trophy again.  I don't think the Canadians in general (or Torontonians in particular) are capable of throwing a good enough riot or properly vandalizing their own city in order to 'celebrate' a sports championship.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Montreal and Vancouver did pretty well at rioting after a championship win and loss respectively, but you're right, we're probably not quite as rowdy here.

I remember being in the streets after our first World Series win in 1992 and I don't think there was a single act of violence or vandalism in a crowd of hundreds of thousands.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well Bill you're right, if rioting is what you're looking for, Oakland is pretty much the gold standard...

Oakland is always up for a good riot...

If Toronto wins, maybe they should try to get some of the anti-G20 "Black Bloc" anarchists involved to help get their post-game rioting off the ground:
Hundreds arrested after G20 protesters riot in Toronto

Almost 500 people have been arrested after a group of anarchists torched police cars and smashed storefronts close to the G20 summit in Toronto.

The Toronto Star, citing security officials, reported that 480 people were detained after violence broke out when several hundred masked protesters broke away from a larger, peaceful demonstration yesterday.

The violence was carried out by a roving band, wearing black balaclavas, who shattered shop windows and rampaged through the centre of the city.

Protesters set fire to at least three police cars in different parts of the city, including one in the heart of the financial district.

One protester jumped onto the roof of a car before dropping a Molotov cocktail through the smashed windscreen.

Banks, coffee shops and small stores were targets, and protesters looted at least one retailer, storming out with clothing and the arms and legs of mannequins.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... otest-riot

Of course that was nine years ago, so they may be a little out of practice...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

No one was particular proud of the actions of rioters or the police response, which was way over the top, that weekend, but it was fed largely by people from outside (many of the Americans) who came to town to cause trouble for the G20.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:No one was particular proud of the actions of rioters or the police response, which was way over the top, that weekend, but it was fed largely by people from outside (many of the Americans) who came to town to cause trouble for the G20.
No it was the Niagara-on-the-Lake crowd. I saw it on the telly and recognized some of them.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

So is the thread title going to be updated?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Re: And now it's 3-2

Post by Scooter »

Happy?

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not especially. I was just asking the question.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I don't believe CP does "happy"... :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Scooter wrote:Happy?
Check above -- I already did that.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

Candadians like basketball now? Suckups. Mukluk wearing, dogsled driving, canoe-loving Suckups.

As an aside, a neighbor was driving into Canada recently and the RCMP took away his personal-defense pepper spray " we don't allow that up here eh?"but when they found the giant bear spray canisters they said "hiking in bear country? good thinking".

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I only had a chance to watch the second half of the game, so I missed this:
'Classless': Warriors stunned at Toronto fans cheering Kevin Durant's Achilles injury

Facing the basket and seeing an opening, Kevin Durant made a quick move to his left — a move he's made thousands of times.

A second later, the Golden State Warriors star crumpled to the hardwood, clutching the Achilles tendon in his right leg.

Large sections of Raptors fans at a frothing Scotiabank Arena initially cheered, knowing what Durant — who had just returned to the lineup after a month on the sidelines — going down might mean for Toronto's chances of winning the franchise's first title.

It could also end up galvanizing a Warriors team that now trails the best-of-seven NBA Finals 3-2 following Monday's 106-105 victory. Game 6 goes Thursday in Oakland, Calif.

Toronto's Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka and Danny Green waved their hands to try to get the fans to stop the cheering after Durant hit the floor, and many soon turned to applause and muted "K-D" chants as he was helped off the court early in the second quarter.

But in the eyes of the Warriors, it was too little, too late.

"That's crazy. That's crazy," Golden State's Draymond Green said of the crowd's initial response. "Come on ... that's classless. For me, I've always witnessed Canadians being the nicest people that I've ever encountered.

"That was classless."
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nb ... -1.5170381

Gee, that certainly wasn't very Canadian of them...

Where did those Toronto fans think they were? Philadelphia?
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

They were dumped on pretty quickly by Raptors players and the media. As the article says, classless.

-- Author unknown