‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Whatever else you want to say about him, Jerry Falwell Sr. was never accused of financial corruption or impropriety...(In fact he lived fairly modestly; no fleet of Roll Royce's ala Jim and Tammy for him...)

Junior apparently is cut from a different piece of cloth:
‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence

More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world.

At Liberty University, all anyone can talk about is Jerry Falwell Jr. Just not in public.

“When he does stupid stuff, people will mention it to others they consider confidants and not keep it totally secret,” a trusted adviser to Falwell, the school’s president and chancellor, told me. “But they won’t rat him out.”

That’s beginning to change.

Over the past year, Falwell, a prominent evangelical leader and supporter of President Donald Trump, has come under increasing scrutiny. News outlets have reported on business deals by Liberty University benefiting Falwell’s friends. Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen claimed that he had helped Falwell clean up racy “personal” photographs.

Based on scores of new interviews and documents obtained for this article, concerns about Falwell’s behavior go well beyond that—and it’s causing longtime, loyal Liberty University officials to rapidly lose faith in him.

More than two dozen current and former high-ranking Liberty University officials and close associates of Falwell spoke to me or provided documents for this article, opening up—for the first time at an institution so intimately associated with the Falwell family—about what they’ve experienced and why they don’t think he’s the right man to lead Liberty University or serve as a figurehead in the Christian conservative movement.
Fairly long article but if you're interested in the topic, worth the read:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ans-227914
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Re: ‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’...

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Excellent piece; obviously it confirms most of what I have long believed about that place so I suppose it caters to my prejudices.

Two points. I have twice been treasurer of a 501(c)(3) operation - both of them comfortably less than $20,000 total assets and maybe $10,000 total activity per year - and they are the sort of thing you probably recognize as a charity. Earnest people sitting around in a room after work on their own time and dime working out how to promote public health goals and having a bit of fun while doing it. So we would have dinner events at a restaurant with a talk on some subject and everyone pays $30 and gets a piece of fish or chicken or steak with a veggie option. Every year we'd find $500 to give some local teenager (usually culled from the science fair) a few $ for college. That to me is what a 501(c)(3) operation is. We had to file annually our operating accounts with the IRS and they were correct to the penny and we had to file annually with the state to maintain our charitable status. To have one section of the IRS code covering both that and a multi-billion dollar operation such as Liberty University is ridiculous. To call Liberty University a non-profit should offend the English Department, if they have one.

The piece again ridicules Brother Trump for his 'infamous' "two Corinthians" reference. There are 10,000 things I'd stack against his name before that one: that's how we used to refer to it when I was 12 to distinguish it from the other one and because it was a lot quicker than saying St Paul's Second Epistle to the Corinthians.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:The piece again ridicules Brother Trump for his 'infamous' "two Corinthians" reference. There are 10,000 things I'd stack against his name before that one: that's how we used to refer to it when I was 12 to distinguish it from the other one and because it was a lot quicker than saying St Paul's Second Epistle to the Corinthians.
Or you could just refer to it as "Second Corinthians", like we do in most all the Catholic churches I've ever attended.  Saying "Two Corinthians" tends to make one think of jokes — "Once upon a time there were these two Corinthians....."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I've never heard of it called anything but Second Corinthians or the longer titles Pau's Scond Letter/Epistle to the Corinthians/Church in Corinth.

As for the article, nonprofits are not all 501c3 organizations nor do they exist for chrtiable, artisitic, and other 501c3 purposes. Pay out all you revenue means you will be a nonprofit, but you are not a 501c3.

But the article does point out the problems with 501c3 organizations and their use in politics; the rules are easily circumvented, and often broken with no real consequence, many times by religious organizations which advocate for particular politicians. But we'll never see it end, it feed sthe political machine.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The Wikipedia article reads:

The Second Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians (often referred to as Second Corinthians and written as 2 Corinthians) . . .
And clearly it says 'written as' - but that's what we used to call it (verbally) 55+ years ago to distinguish it from 1 Corinthians (the faith, hope and charity one). And I went back to a version of the Wiki entry from 2011 in case a Trumpist had been in there and made the edit to confirm his boss's words.

I'm not defending Trump at all; merely pointing out that there are plenty of things to attack him on before something a little tenuous like this one.

Maybe it's an English Protestant thing . . .

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sorry, double post

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote: Or you could just refer to it as "Second Corinthians", like we do in most all the Catholic churches I've ever attended.  Saying "Two Corinthians" tends to make one think of jokes — "Once upon a time there were these two Corinthians....."
Two Corinthians walked into a bar....

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:Two Corinthians walked into a bar...
... one gets drunk while the other one goes hungry.

He's here all week.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

As for me and most of my faith tradition cousins, we speak of it as 'second Corinthians' and in writing cite it roman numeral II Cor.

I say 'most' because one of the glories of Christianity is that NOBODY represents all of us. Specially not anyone from Liberty University.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:The piece again ridicules Brother Trump for his 'infamous' "two Corinthians" reference. There are 10,000 things I'd stack against his name before that one...
They poke fun at it because it goes to the credibility of his claims, like naming the Bible as his favourite book (while not being able to quote even one verse when asked).
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The other reason it is raised a lot is because it exposes the idiocy of the bible thumpers who flock to the televangelists, etc. Imagine if Obama had made the same statement, I pretty much guarantee that their response would be to say it only shows he is no christian and does not read the bible at all. But with Trump, just crickets.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

... then again, we silly-billy folks do say 1 Kings, 1 Chronicles and 1 Samuel. We don't say First Kings nor yet Second Samuel (doubtless to avoid confusion with other people name David)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

OK, and I concede such usage is/may be/may have been a regional thing; however, I grew up in NYC (where Trump did) and we never used the ordinal number designationsterms, indeed I never hear the integers used. I attended a variety of churches (my mom sent me to every vacation bible school and youth group she could find to keep me off the streets), and they all used the same designations.
Last edited by Big RR on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Too bad we can't consult with an expert on things Corinthian:

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

WTF? I thought Ricardo Montalban was born in Mexico, not Greece.

Easy accessibility to conflicting information on the internet makes everybody stupid.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

From what I recall, there is no such thing as Corinthian Leather; the advertisers coined and used the term because they liked the way Ricardo said it.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:From what I recall, there is no such thing as Corinthian Leather; the advertisers coined and used the term because they liked the way Ricardo said it.

I miss Dave.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Corinthians hitting leather; far from first

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Now Jerry Jr. is demanding a DOJ investigation into the criminal conspiracy at Liberty U - the one of folks spilling the beans on his craven ways. :lol:

Sad thing is, his buddy Trump will probably give him what he wants.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan