I'll Just Put This Here ...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

... and let someone else provide the comments.
A 'Full Beaver Moon' Is Coming in November
The title given to the full moon of any given month can tell you a lot about the priorities of early Americans.  In August, the 'Full Sturgeon Moon' once meant it was time to harvest the fish from the Great Lakes, while the 'Worm Moon' of March referenced the earthworms that signaled the approach of spring.  The 'Beaver Moon', which is set to appear on November 12 in 2019, is no different.
What is a 'Beaver Moon'?
'Beaver Moon' is the name of the first (and typically the only) full moon of the November lunar cycle.  Its meaning is said to have originated with the Algonquin people, and was eventually adapted by European colonists in North America.  November used to be the time for putting down beaver traps in anticipation of the cold winter months.  It's usually the last month before swamps and lakes freeze over up north, and therefore it was the last month to stock up on warm beaver furs.

Another folk name for November's full moon is the 'Full Frost Moon', but according to The Old Farmer's Almanac, 'Beaver Moon' is the name that stuck.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Unless the waxing Brazilian moon comes first.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Re: I'll Just Put This Here ...

Post by Long Run »