Bloomberg?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Bloomberg?

Post by Lord Jim »

Bloomberg makes preparations for 2020 run

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is preparing to file paperwork to qualify for the Democratic presidential primary in Alabama, ahead of a Friday deadline. The move would be a first step toward a national campaign, though Bloomberg has not made a final decision to run.

"We now need to finish the job and ensure that Trump is defeated — but Mike is increasingly concerned that the current field of candidates is not well positioned to do that," longtime Bloomberg aide Howard Wolfson said in an email. "If Mike runs he would offer a new choice to Democrats built on a unique record running America’s biggest city, building a business from scratch and taking on some of America’s toughest challenges as a high-impact philanthropist."

Bloomberg has engaged in a will-he-or-won't-he routine for longer than a decade about running for president, but declined to jump in each time. Earlier this year, he was exploring a bid, only to bow out after former Vice President Joe Biden made clear he would run.

"I believe I would defeat Donald Trump in a general election," Bloomberg wrote in March. "But I am clear-eyed about the difficulty of winning the Democratic nomination in such a crowded field."

"He's tired of being the almost-ran," said one former Bloomberg adviser on Thursday after The New York Post reported news of his moves. "Mortality is weighing heavily on him. This is the last time that he can run."

Bloomberg will almost certainly not qualify for the next debate in Atlanta on Nov. 20, and he will likely have to spend tens of millions of dollars in the next few weeks to make the debate stage in December, potentially setting a record for campaign spending in a short amount of time. His current wealth is estimated at $52 billion, per Forbes.

Bloomberg and his money have the potential to scramble the Democratic field, where no clear frontrunner has emerged. He is most similar ideologically with candidates like Biden and South Bend (Indiana) Mayor Pete Buttigieg and could threaten their candidacies or divide their potential voters.

Asked why Bloomberg changed his mind and whether he was underwhelmed by Biden's performance on the trail, an aide said that "it's not about any one candidate."[I'm sorry, I ain't buyin' that...He's getting in because Biden is fading and he's afraid the party is going to nominate someone taking such unpopular left-wing positions that Trump could beat them...a not unfounded fear...]

But the aide added: "He is worried about the state of the Democratic primary campaign and the possibility that we could lose in November. He wants to avoid that more than anything else."
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/0 ... ary-000322

I have some issues with Bloomberg, (I'm particularly not crazy about his nanny state stuff) but I could certainly easily vote for him over Trump...

Bloomberg is a unique figure in contemporary American politics; he is the only multi-billionaire who, as the three term mayor of the nation's largest city, is also genuinely qualified for the Presidency...

Unlike Andrew Yang and Tom Steyer, he's no political amateur rich guy...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Re: Bloomberg?

Post by Gob »

He's rich enough to buy the presidency.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:He's rich enough to buy the presidency.
That's assuming Trump is willing to sell it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Why should he stop selling it now?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm also no fan; with all the problems NYC has (like homelessness and horrible conditions in its public housing) he thought it more important to ban the sales of large soft drinks than address them. But he is still infinitely preferenable to the current asshole in chief and I would have no trouble voting for him over Trump (or Pence if we get lucky with the impeachment oor tthe pressure makes Trump keel over).

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And let's not forget his ego being so big he had the term limit law he campaigned on delayed so he could run for a third term. How many months ago was it when he said he wouldn't run? The guy honestly think people need him to lead the way.
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Maybe he’s just as terrified of another Trump term as millions of the rest of us. :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote:[I'm sorry, I ain't buyin' that...He's getting in because Biden is fading and he's afraid the party is going to nominate someone taking such unpopular left-wing positions that Trump could beat them...a not unfounded fear...]
Bloomberg couldn't care less about the Democratic Party or its prospects; he sees a potential oppotunity for Michael Bloomberg. I think Big RR has it right:
Big RR wrote:The guy honestly think people need him to lead the way.
GAH!

RayThom

Bloomberg?

Post by RayThom »

If somehow Bloomberg gets the nomination -- I'm voting for him.

I only hope he's not boneheaded enough to run as a third party candidate if this mission fails.

Kanye West... 2024
https://www.nme.com/news/music/kanye-we ... 24-2566193

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

RayThom wrote:If somehow Bloomberg gets the nomination -- I'm voting for him.

I only hope he's not boneheaded enough to run as a third party candidate if this mission fails.
I agree...on both points.

To quote just the headline of the Wonkette story on this development:
      • Another Rich Asshole From New York Runs For President

We're sure this time it'll work out great.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's absurd to compare a genuine self-made successful businessman and three term Mayor of New York City, to a four time bankruptcy declarer with fewer qualifications for the Presidency then my Chihuahuas...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Just like Ray said above (and just like you said about the possibility of Warren being the nominee)...if he's the Democratic nominee, I''ll vote for him. I think there are some legitimate reasons why he shouldn't be the nominee, but being a billionaire isn't one of them. (BTW, I loved Warren's response to his entry into the race!)

Do you agree with Ray's second sentence (about running as a third party candidate), Jim?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Do you agree with Ray's second sentence (about running as a third party candidate), Jim?
It would depend on the polling...

If the polling indicated that all Bloomberg would do as a third party candidate is siphon off anti-Trump votes from the Democratic nominee and thus enhance Trump's re-election chances, then yes absolutely I would agree...

If, on the other hand...

The polling showed that Bloomberg had a good chance of putting together a centrist, center/left-center/right coalition that could win a plurality in enough states to obtain an actual Electoral College majority and thus win the Presidency, that would be another matter...

This scenario couldn't happen unless the Dems nominate a hard left candidate who embraces a host of enormously unpopular positions...(like Warren...)unlikely perhaps, but it's not unthinkable...

In 1992 throughout the spring the polls consistently had Ross Perot running in first place ahead of both Bush and Clinton...(of course that was before he revealed himself to be an unbalanced crank who withdrew from the race claiming the Republicans had sabotaged his daughter's wedding...And then jumped back in...)

Under this scenario, the Dems have nominated a hard-left candidate who most likely would lose to Trump in a two person race, and Bloomberg's entry as a third party candidate would actually enhance the prospects of Trump's defeat...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Bloomberg?

Post by RayThom »

Centrists? They're created -- not born.

Pete keeps chipping away, even while his campaign keeps tickling my ass with a feather.

Regardless, I'm sticking with him until he's no longer viable.

What matters?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pe ... &FORM=VIRE
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

Bloomberg is not as stupid as Nader or Nader voters were. I don't think he will split the vote and allow evil to triumph as Nader did.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I..agree...with...rubato...

(Did I say that out loud?)

This is why Bloomberg took a pass on running third party in 2016...
ImageImageImage