Election 2020

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Election 2020

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Econoline wrote:
Warren ............. 22.3
Buttigieg ........... 17.0
Biden ............... 15.7
Sanders ............ 15.3[/size]
I think it's going to be Warren. Biden and Sanders (much as I like Sanders especially) are just too old. Yes they have the smarts but come on. The country isn't ready for a gay President. I want someone who, more than any other criterion, will beat Trump. If I were voting in a Trump Buttigieg race I'd of course go for Buttigieg in a heart beat but I suspect that a lot of potential D voters would sit on their hands.

Sanders is going to have to face all the Pocahontas stuff and to some extent she deserves it: it looks as if, at some point, she may have looked to that for some sort of leg up. I know how that works: an HR department is desperate for some diversity points to show that they don't discriminate and will take anything and encourage employees to check boxes where they might otherwise hesitate. if that's the worst thing she's done in her life she's pretty blameless. Biden, for example, plagiarized a speech by Neil Kinnock (UK Labour leader in the 80s) during his presidential run in 1988 - no-one is perfect. And of course in comparison to Trump's activities over the course of any given week, their lifetimes are boringly bland.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

They said the same thing about Obama but unlike Obama we probably already had a gay president.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

Crackpot wrote:They said the same thing about Obama but unlike Obama we probably already had a gay president.
But openly gay -- with a husband? There's the rub.

It's the elephant in the room for voters over fifty. Regardless, I'm sticking with Pete until the primaries.

Warren/Buttigieg 2020.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think a lot of people would be concerned with having a gay president. People would worry that he would surround himself with gay advisors and spend most of his time redecorating the White House instead of doing presidential things like keeping Mexicans from storming our southern border and taking our jobs.

It would be different if Buttigieg was more like Obama. Obama was half white. If Buttigieg was half gay, then he would get a lot more votes.

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:I think a lot of people would be concerned with having a gay president. People would worry that he would surround himself with gay advisors and spend most of his time redecorating the White House instead of doing presidential things like keeping Mexicans from storming our southern border and taking our jobs.

It would be different if Buttigieg was more like Obama. Obama was half white. If Buttigieg was half gay, then he would get a lot more votes.
It is this type of clarity and insight that I find myself lacking on the important issues of the day.

I always leave this forum enlightened.

Thanks, JG.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If Buttigieg was half gay, then he would get a lot more votes.
Do you think it might make a difference if it was his top half or bottom half?

RayThom

Erection 2020

Post by RayThom »

Scooter wrote:Harris is out.
She held on longer than I expected.

I hope this will send a signal to many of the others who are struggling to be heard. There's no shame in dropping out -- it will be the right thing to do.

Bloomberg/Warren... 2020

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I am disappoint.

But clears the deck for Warren.
GAH!

wesw

Post by wesw »

she had that cncussi0n syndrome.....

t00 many headb0ards b0unced 0ff her head 0n her way t0 the t0p....

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue U wrote:
I am disappoint.

But clears the deck for Warren.
She wasn't my first choice among the pack, but she wasn't my last either. Let's hope she stays involved; we need to pull all the stops out in this election to get a new president elected.

Roy

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
If Buttigieg was half gay, then he would get a lot more votes.
Do you think it might make a difference if it was his top half or bottom half?
That's an excellent question. However, I have no idea how to answer it. Kamala Harris might have some insight. She's half something and half something else.

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

A lady I knew years ago had a pen pal who lived in Tasmania. They started as Jr High kids and were still corresponding into their 60s. She's 94 now.

They occasionally shared recipes. At one point, an American recipe called for half and half.

The return letter asked "half what, and half what else"?
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

wesw wrote:she had that cncussi0n syndrome.....

t00 many headb0ards b0unced 0ff her head 0n her way t0 the t0p....
More proof troll's o key works - and that troll is a repugnant scumbag.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GAH!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Harris had a couple of big splash moments that gave her a boost, (she may have had the best campaign rollout of any of the Democratic candidates) and tons of positive soft-ball coverage in the liberal mainstream media, but for whatever reason her show didn't seem to wear well day-in day-out on the campaign trail, and she could never parlay her "big moments" into sustained poll numbers...

One of her "big moments" that gave her campaign an immediate bump may have done more damage than good for her; her debate confrontation with Biden...

Turns out Democratic voters didn't see whether Biden had supported both court ordered busing and DOJ ordered busing or only court ordered busing in 1975 to be an issue of burning importance...(Imagine that...)

She also had huge problems finding her footing on how to deal with Mandatory Medicare for all, repeatedly changing her position, (at first she was a co-signer and supporter of Sanders bill, then she switched to saying she'd allow private companies to provide "supplemental" insurance, and finally she would up with the moderate-liberal "medicare for All Who Want It" position....)
clears the deck for Warren.
Gosh, I hope that's wrong...

As one who sees the defeat of Donald Trump as an existential imperative, I would hate to see the Dems nominate one of the two candidates in the field (the other of course being Sanders) least likely to be able to reassemble the broad coalition that delivered control of the House to the Dems in 2018 and without which they cannot prevail in 2020.
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know, I'd put the loon Williamson well ahead of them; also Yang and Castro (if he's still in it).

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, I was talking about candidates that could actually conceivably get the nomination...

That would not include Williamson or Yang (who might actually have a better chance of winning then Warren or Sanders) or the Useful Idiot Tulsi Gabbard...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage