Election 2020

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Big RR

Re: Election 2020

Post by Big RR »

Sanders suggesting after the debate that they might want to delay tomorrow's primaries in light of the Corona virus... (Ohio, Illinois, Arizona and Florida; 577 total delegates at stake)
Wait until next Fall (when we get the second wave of the coronavirus) and Trump tries to do the same with the general election; I wouldn't put it past him. Hell Rudy could advise him on that--he unsuccessfully tried to do the same in NYC at 9/11, and could let him know what to avoid.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I already voted early, in Illinois...on Super Tuesday...for Elizabeth Warren.
Oh, well. :shrug

I'd feel comfortable voting for either geezer in November (the only one I would've had to take a stiff drink and hold my nose before voting for was Bloomberg; I'm glad he's out).

I agree that Bernie's suggestion of postponing the vote is a bad idea, and that if any states actually did that, Trump would use that as a precedent in November. Shut up, Bernie: you've already made your points and (with Warren) shifted the discussion to the left. So make a deal with Joe and get behind the ticket 100%. We'll need all the help we can get between now and November.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Ohio is postponing today’s primary.

My clients are dealing with this at the local level, as local town elections are coming up. Here are a variety of problems we have been discussing:

1. Poll workers don’t want to work, and most are from the more vulnerable populations.
2. MA has banned any gathering of more than 25 people.
3. Most polling places, including schools and town buildings are closed.
4. Polling places require taking police officers off of the street. They are already working extra hours, and departments are struggling to fill those hours.
5. Citizens are scared, many people are actually taking social distancing seriously. My clients do not want to put their residents In the situation of having to make a decision about what is more important, exercising their right to vote or protecting their health.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Are your elections run by the municipality or by the county? Can you get the supervising authority to do mail-in ballots?
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Muni. We abolished counties in MA, and have 351 cities and towns, with certain home rule authority. But electoral law and policy is in State hands, and going to mail in ballots requires changes in law and procedures. Can’t happen quickly enough.

Plus you still need all of those ballots counted and processed, in public, by poll workers. So it doesn’t really solve the problem.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm
We abolished counties in MA, and have 351 cities and towns, with certain home rule authority.
That sound nuts; seems like it should be the other way around!
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is very very proud of its independent cities and towns, and its home rule form of government. Town meeting is the last vestige of direct democracy, and very much a sight to behold (although by mid May I will thrilled to behold it much less).

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lord Jim wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:41 pm
Regarding a veep pick for Biden, I have become a fan of Val Demings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Demings

I was first impressed by the quality of her questioning of witnesses on the Intel Committee during the impeachment inquiry, and became even more impressed watching her as an Impeachment manager (particularly her closing statement.)

Very smart and an energetic, ready-for-prime time quality public speaker she would bring a lot of strengths to the ticket. In addition to being an African American woman, she's also from Florida, a very important state to try to move back to the Dems column. (She has cross party appeal, winning now twice in a district previously represented by a Republican) Also, as a 27 year veteran of the Orlando Police Department, (culminating with a stint as OPD Police Chief, where she was credited with being responsible for bringing down the city's rate of violent crime) she can hardly be tagged as some sort of thug hugging bleeding heart...

Demings ticks a lot of important electoral boxes. I hope Biden gives her very serious consideration.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion ... -an-honor/
Over the past two years, Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) has had a front-row seat to history. She serves on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and the Judiciary Committee, and she was one of the seven House impeachment managers who argued for the conviction of President Trump. And now Demings’s name is being bandied about as a possible vice presidential nominee. This was even before former vice president Joe Biden committed at Sunday’s Democratic debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) that he would select a woman as his running mate.

Who is she? I totally forgot to ask her about her Harley-Davidson motorcycle, but I did ask her about Trump, Florida, her support of Biden and, yes, whether she wanted to be considered for vice president. “I will continue to serve this country in whatever way I’m needed,” Demings said.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Rising star, sure, but not this year for the top of the ballot. I'm thinking Kamala is the smart choice, but it might be wishful thinking.
GAH!

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

Papa Joe has the black vote sewed up regardless who he picks as his VP. My bet is Amy Klobuchar who will be the Dem candidate for POTUS in 2024.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Is there an election somewhere? The corona of the corona is eclipsing everything else.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 pm
I'm thinking Kamala is the smart choice, but it might be wishful thinking.
That's exactly what I've been thinking; she'd be a GREAT choice! (I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been hearing her name more often.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

In my opinion, Kamala would be Biden's Sara Palin. I don't like anything about her. She is a phony pandering "progressive" politician and was a useless Attorney General. For the sake of the democratic party and to help get Trump out of office, I hope she gets a case of COVID-19 and is forced to stay out of politics for the rest of the year.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Oooookie-dokie, Joe. Obviously you're more familiar with her within the context of her whole career than I am; I was impressed with her in the earlier debates, and she seems to tick off all the right boxes...but I could be convinced to change my mind.

Comparing Kamala Harris to Sara Palin seems WAY over-the-top and uncalled-for, though! :o
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I didn't compare Harris to Palin. I said the choice of Harris as a running mate may have the same effect on Biden's ability to get elected.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Guinevere wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 am

The other significant flaw in Bernie’s strategy is that he isn’t trying to build coalitions and expand the reach of his message. He is relying only on “Berners” and getting them to vote in record numbers. When that turnout fails to deliver, there is no backup plan (and thus, Biden trounces him). His entire strategy was focussed on getting a plurality, not a majority of delegates. That’s (IMO) short-sighted and stupid, because of likely (now actual) consolidation, and it doesn’t provide broad enough support for success in the general, or success governing.
Noting that once again Bernie didn’t get much above 30-35% plurality numbers.

Delegate totals as of this morning (1991 needed for first ballot nomination):

Biden - 1147
Bernie - 861

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

For whatever reason, Kamala Harris is polarizing. Klobuchar is safe, but, obvs white. As is Lizzie. Deming or Abrams get him even more diversity. Deming and Klobuchar bring important states/regions (it’s a safe bet Massachusetts and California go for the Democrat in the general). Florida and/or the upper Midwest will be key. Abrams is a great activist but no real experience.

I would love for Lizzie to be majority leader. Harris as AG. Abrams to run the DNC or any other job she wants.

I tend to think the analysis supports the decision is narrowing to Klobuchar or Deming but acknowledge there is always the “personality” wildcard.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:07 am
In my opinion, Kamala would be Biden's Sara Palin. I don't like anything about her. She is a phony pandering "progressive" politician and was a useless Attorney General.
Why do you say that? Can you give some examples of what you mean? I didn't know anything about Harris until she was elected Senator and I saw her speak at the Women's March in DC three years ago. What I have seen since I have found quite impressive. I'm genuinely curious to know why you dislike her so much.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

There's a lot on her record as CA AG, and I have not had the time to see what was correct and what was not (or was questionable), but I do recall she supported a number of get tough actions (like jailing parents of truant children (how this could help the problem is beyond me)), and I recall she crossed swords with the Innocence Project a number of times, challenging release of prisoners proven "innocent" on strict interpretations of time limits (a lot of other AGs have done this as well, but none who want to court the progressives)--she appears to have a strict law and order bent which comes forth a lot of times.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Bernie Sanders suspends all campaign Facebook ads amid rumors he’s dropping out of the Democratic race

Bernie Sanders suspended all of his Facebook campaign ads Wednesday on the heels of another stinging primary setback, sparking rumors that he’s about to drop out of the race.

The Facebook ad freeze came after Joe Biden won Tuesday’s primaries in Florida, Illinois and Arizona, virtually leaving Sanders without a viable path to the Democratic nomination.

The Facebook development prompted a social media frenzy, and several reporters tweeted Sanders had decided to suspend his campaign.

But Sanders campaign communications director Mike Casca shot down the rumors as “absolutely false" in a tweet.

Nonetheless, the campaign’s ad scrub remained unexplained. According to Facebook data, Sanders launched nearly 40 ads on Tuesday alone, all of which are now deactivated, along with all other campaign plugs.

Sanders also pulled most of his Google ads Wednesday, according to data.

Earlier in the day, Sanders campaign manager Faiz Shakir said the left-wing Vermont senator planned to hold meetings to "assess” his chances.
More:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html
ImageImageImage