There is war in the streets of America tonight

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:11 pm
Darren wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Many business owners carry minimal insurance and some nothing.

"Across the street, Hassan Hamid estimated that he’d lost about $100,000 worth of equipment from the shop, Power Wireless, that he started eight years ago. He’d boarded the place up both nights, he said, but that didn’t stop looters from getting inside.

“I don’t even have enough cash to bring this business back again,” said Hamid, who is originally from Ethiopia. “I do not know what I have to do right now.” But he added that he, too, wants to see justice for Floyd."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/05/2 ... -for-floyd
That is sad, but it is also more foolish than a tragedy. Any property owner who knowingly chooses to fail to purchase insurance runs the risk of ruin from act of God or civil unrest. Insurance is generally not that expensive and should be considered an essential cost of business same as rent/mortgage, utilities, etc. Does he also have no liability insurance? What if someone is injured on his property? In addition to the legally required malpractice insurance, the first business expense I incurred when I opened my law practice was insurance to cover my equipment and liability for injury of any client entering the premises. That insurance would have covered me if rioters burned down my office, too.
BSG, I believe a lot of insurance policies generally exclude riots/civil unrest and acts of war as events for which they will indemnify the policyholder — unless perhaps they get a special rider clause to specifically include these events (and if they did, I would love to know just what factors the actuaries would use to go about determining the level of risk and an appropriate premium).  And as for carrying minimal insurance; sometimes you considered the odds of something happening and make your decisions accordingly.

For example — I live far enough away from the river and on high enough ground that I choose to not carry flood insurance; and even though the epicenter of the worst earthquake in US history (the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812, which were estimated to be a between 7.5 and 8.5 on the Richter scale and compares to the San Francisco earthquake of 7.8 ) was located only about 500 miles south of me, I also choose to not purchase earthquake insurance too.  Since my car is legally old enough to drink, smoke, and vote I do not carry collision or comprehensive insurance on it, just the legal minimum for liability, and for the record I am also uninsured if a UFO were to decide to teleport me and my domicile aboard and haul me off to whatever distant planet/galaxy it came from.

In addition, most contracts, including insurance policies, include something called a force majeure clause, and I'm sure the insurance companies have already figured out how to work something like this to their best advantage as well.

Sorry, BSG, I think you're talking through your hat with regard to this particular point.
-"BB"-
Somebody’s talking out his ass as usual, too eager to go on the personal attack to bother doing the most minimal research to support his faulty assertions. INCEL frustration and hatred of intelligent women, I suppose.

BB, this is the last of your posts I will ever read or reply to; please know that when you waste your shallow thoughts responding to me. You have engaged in such loose relationship with the truth and facts too many times in the past and life is just too fucking short anymore to waste any minutes on people of such low character. Attack, attack, attack - forget about the least commitment to facts. :roll:
Riots, civil commotion and vandalism generally covered by insurance . . .

As much of the United States convulses in response to the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man in the custody of Minneapolis police officers, it’s some comfort to know that property damage caused by rioting, civil commotion and vandalism are covered under standard insurance policies, says Loretta Worters, vice president, media relations for the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.proper ... %3Famp%3D1
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Well, maybe as a rich-bitch lawyer you didn't have to deal with companies like Cedarburg Mutual Insurance or the General, but were able to get insurance from places like Lloyds of London or Berkshire-Hathaway that covered any eventuality including a sudden eruption of a volcano under your law office or damage to your car if it were to be struck by an unoccupied vehicle in case of the Rapture — but I know how my renter's (later homeowner's) and car insurance policies read, now and in the past.  In fact, I first found out about riders for specific items or actions 'way back in the days of CB radios, when most off-the-shelf car insurance policies did not cover them in case of theft; and again when my custom touring bicycle (which was worth about $800 in the days when you could buy a Schwinn Varsity for less than a hundred bucks) was stolen from my car and it was covered by neither my car insurance policy nor my parent's homeowner's policy.

I'd also like to congratulate you.  You have never met me in person (at least, not that I am aware of), but merely on the basis of my postings on this forum you have thoroughly psychoanalyzed me and come to the conclusion that I am a full-of-shit INCEL who hates intelligent women — amazing, what powers you have! — although I'm surprised that you did not also find traces of a delusional syndrome disorder and having a superiority complex as well.  So I must also extend an apology as well.  When you were telling me to "get fucked" I thought you were using earthy terms or "salty language" to express your displeasure.  But since you had apparently used telepsychiatry or some other form of telepsych-whatever to diagnose me as an INCEL, I now realize that you were merely prescribing for my cure.
(for the record, I am what would probably be better described as a "VOLCEL"; and if getting laid means sticking my dick into women like you, I'll remain celibate)

Seriously, you and Darren's "Doc" should get together sometime. In poker terms, you two would be a pair to draw to.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I just watched CNN's coverage of the peaceful protests near the White House and the belligerent actions of the police/military. This is a very dangerous situation.

I also watched Trump's speech. He specifically mentioned that he will support the second amendment. Noticeably, he did not think to mention its senior brother, the first amendment.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

AFAIK the Posse Comitatus Act still holds. WDC may be an exception since it is not a state.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And there is a photo op in front of the church. Trump is holding a Bible. How can evangelicals believe in this total fucking hypocrite?

dales

Post by dales »

TRUMP called upon the state governments to DOMINATE by whatever means necessary.

He also stated that if the state governors did not send in national guard troops to deal with the unrest he would send in the US Military.

Scary.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He’s going full blown dictator now.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

June 1, 2020

The day the United States of America went full on banana republic to facilitate a really badly staged photo op.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:13 am
June 1, 2020

The day the United States of America went full on banana republic to facilitate a really badly staged photo op.
Stealing that.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's just so low rent and sad.

-- Anderson Cooper

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Episcopal Bishop of Washington just gave Trump a public smackdown, "outraged" by his "profane" actions that were "completely antithetical to the teachings of Jesus Christ".

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:52 am
The Episcopal Bishop of Washington just gave Trump a public smackdown, "outraged" by his "profane" actions that were "completely antithetical to the teachings of Jesus Christ".
Of course, because he’s the fucking Antichrist.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

If anything I have been heartened by the change in tune by the Evangelicals on my Facebook feed. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for the non and or apolitical.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Newsflash! - President Trump has threatened to dispatch the Navy to Topeka Kansas if protesting gets out of hand. He announced from the White House bunker: "I have ordered two Aircraft Carriers and three Destroyers to remain on high alert and to be ready to roll at my command. We've got to stop the bad guys forcefully and strongly-er than ever has been done before."

just kidding

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:52 am
Well said, Episcopal Church. Her statement as reported by WaPo and the Church’s facebook feed:

"The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, said she learned of Trump's visit by watching it on the news.

“I don’t want President Trump speaking for St. John’s,” Budde said.

“I am outraged,” she said, with pauses emphasizing her anger as her voice slightly trembled. “I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop, holding a Bible, one that declares that God is love and when everything he has said and done is to enflame violence."

She said the church disassociates itself from the messages of the president. "We hold the teachings of our sacred texts to be so so grounding to our lives and everything we do and it is about love of neighbor and sacrificial love and justice," she said.

Budde said the Episcopal Church had about a dozen clergy at the church and Lafayette Square all day to support protesters and left when the curfew was called."
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

And from the Presiding Bishop (who wrote the op-ed Scoo, um, I posted yesterday):
Statement from Presiding Bishop Michael B. Curry on President Donald Trump's use of a church building and the Holy Bible.

This evening, the President of the United States stood in front of St. John’s Episcopal Church, lifted up a bible, and had pictures of himself taken. In so doing, he used a church building and the Holy Bible for partisan political purposes. This was done in a time of deep hurt and pain in our country, and his action did nothing to help us or to heal us.

The bible teaches us that “God is love.” Jesus of Nazareth taught, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The prophet Micah taught that the Lord requires us to “do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.”

The bible the President held up and the church that he stood in front of represent the values of love, of justice, of compassion, and of a way to heal our hurts.

We need our President, and all who hold office, to be moral leaders who help us to be a people and nation living these values. For the sake of George Floyd, for all who have wrongly suffered, and for the sake of us all, we need leaders to help us to be “one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.”
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Op-Ed: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Don’t understand the protests? What you’re seeing is people pushed to the edge

By KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR
MAY 30, 20207:29 PM

What was your first reaction when you saw the video of the white cop kneeling on George Floyd’s neck while Floyd croaked, “I can’t breathe”?

If you’re white, you probably muttered a horrified, “Oh, my God” while shaking your head at the cruel injustice. If you’re black, you probably leapt to your feet, cursed, maybe threw something (certainly wanted to throw something), while shouting, “Not @#$%! again!” Then you remember the two white vigilantes accused of murdering Ahmaud Arbery as he jogged through their neighborhood in February, and how if it wasn’t for that video emerging a few weeks ago, they would have gotten away with it. And how those Minneapolis cops claimed Floyd was resisting arrest but a store’s video showed he wasn’t. And how the cop on Floyd’s neck wasn’t an enraged redneck stereotype, but a sworn officer who looked calm and entitled and devoid of pity: the banality of evil incarnate.

Maybe you also are thinking about the Karen in Central Park who called 911 claiming the black man who asked her to put a leash on her dog was threatening her. Or the black Yale University grad student napping in the common room of her dorm who was reported by a white student. Because you realize it’s not just a supposed “black criminal” who is targeted, it’s the whole spectrum of black faces from Yonkers to Yale.

You start to wonder if it should be all black people who wear body cams, not the cops.

What do you see when you see angry black protesters amassing outside police stations with raised fists? If you’re white, you may be thinking, “They certainly aren’t social distancing.” Then you notice the black faces looting Target and you think, “Well, that just hurts their cause.” Then you see the police station on fire and you wag a finger saying, “That’s putting the cause backward.”

You’re not wrong — but you’re not right, either. The black community is used to the institutional racism inherent in education, the justice system and jobs. And even though we do all the conventional things to raise public and political awareness — write articulate and insightful pieces in the Atlantic, explain the continued devastation on CNN, support candidates who promise change — the needle hardly budges.

But COVID-19 has been slamming the consequences of all that home as we die at a significantly higher rate than whites, are the first to lose our jobs, and watch helplessly as Republicans try to keep us from voting. Just as the slimy underbelly of institutional racism is being exposed, it feels like hunting season is open on blacks. If there was any doubt, President Trump’s recent tweets confirm the national zeitgeist as he calls protesters “thugs” and looters fair game to be shot.

Yes, protests often are used as an excuse for some to take advantage, just as when fans celebrating a hometown sports team championship burn cars and destroy storefronts. I don’t want to see stores looted or even buildings burn. But African Americans have been living in a burning building for many years, choking on the smoke as the flames burn closer and closer. Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible — even if you’re choking on it — until you let the sun in. Then you see it’s everywhere. As long as we keep shining that light, we have a chance of cleaning it wherever it lands. But we have to stay vigilant, because it’s always still in the air.

So, maybe the black community’s main concern right now isn’t whether protesters are standing three or six feet apart or whether a few desperate souls steal some T-shirts or even set a police station on fire, but whether their sons, husbands, brothers and fathers will be murdered by cops or wannabe cops just for going on a walk, a jog, a drive. Or whether being black means sheltering at home for the rest of their lives because the racism virus infecting the country is more deadly than COVID-19.

What you should see when you see black protesters in the age of Trump and coronavirus is people pushed to the edge, not because they want bars and nail salons open, but because they want to live. To breathe.

Worst of all, is that we are expected to justify our outraged behavior every time the cauldron bubbles over. Almost 70 years ago, Langston Hughes asked in his poem “Harlem”: “What happens to a dream deferred? /… Maybe it sags / like a heavy load. / Or does it explode?”

Fifty years ago, Marvin Gaye sang in “Inner City Blues”: “Make me wanna holler / The way they do my life.” And today, despite the impassioned speeches of well-meaning leaders, white and black, they want to silence our voice, steal our breath.

So what you see when you see black protesters depends on whether you’re living in that burning building or watching it on TV with a bowl of corn chips in your lap waiting for “NCIS” to start.

What I want to see is not a rush to judgment, but a rush to justice.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God