Need something to do this weekend?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

All you need is $600 to $1500 and half an hour.
https://www.ksn.com/destination-kansas/ ... tress-doc/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Need something to do this weekend?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I got my $1200 stimulus check, and I can think of worse things to spend it on.  But I'm afraid that's earmarked for a slightly better car than the '98 Corolla I'm driving now.

Now maybe if it shows up at the EAA Airventure in Oshkosh in 2020 (assuming things are back to something resembling normal by then) and is offering flights......  Since I've already had a top-turret position ride in a B-17 (the Collings Foundation '808' — RIP, old girl) and a backseat ride in an open-cockpit Stearman biplane (one of the old "Red Baron Squadron" aircraft), I suppose I should add a ride in 'Doc' to my bucket list.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I thought you left that place
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Not quite yet!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:29 am
All you need is $600 to $1500 and half an hour.
https://www.ksn.com/destination-kansas/ ... tress-doc/
I get the following message: "Our European visitors are important to us. This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws." I can't get access to the linked site.

I suspect it's my use of the OPERA browser... does anyone know how I can change things so Opera recognizes I'm in the USA?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’d rather go up in this:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

For me, I'm more comfortable with Bernoulli's principle rather than a flame and a bag of hot air over my head.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Firefox, Safari and Chrome all let me through to the site.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In all seriousness, I think I’ve just decided to use some of my stimulus funds to check hot air balloon ride from my bucket list.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

When I was a young lad my father somehow got us a ride on the Goodyear blimp out of Oakland, CA.

WE circled the bay for about an hour.

Unforgettable.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm
In all seriousness, I think I’ve just decided to use some of my stimulus funds to check hot air balloon ride from my bucket list.
Just remember to keep your mouth shut or you'll be up there forever.... :nana
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

dales wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 pm

WE circled the bay for about an hour.
And went about two miles... Seriously those things are SLOW. I paced one by car as it bounced along in the Kansas breeze several years ago. It was making all of about 20 MPH.

I'd love to go on a Doc ride, especially if my next door neighbor's son was the pilot. Hey, he swam in our pool daily for several summers. I should get some payback.

dales

Post by dales »

They may be slow but it was a great view.

Been in fixed wing aircraft many times and they move too fast to really see below.

And the pilot would kill the engines and the silence was marvelous.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

When I was in high school I had a friend from JROTC who had his glider pilot's license - he took me up gliding one day over the Arizona desert. I’ll never forget that, it was a fabulous experience. Being up there with just the sound of the wind - what a rush.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Firefox, Safari and Chrome all let me through to the site.
Yes, I found that out by using the other browser shortcuts I rarely use.

Opera, on the other hand, is the only browser that offers a 'free' VPN. Upon further inspection I saw where it was on the "Europe" setting. I changed it to the "Americas" and, voilà, all was right with the world.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

dales wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 am
They may be slow but it was a great view.

Been in fixed wing aircraft many times and they move too fast to really see below.

And the pilot would kill the engines and the silence was marvelous.
I can imagine it would be a great view.

My first Cessna 170B had a short takeoff and landing (STOL) kit installed. It could easily be flown at about 35 MPH. On a good Kansas day with a stout breeze, the kind of thing the rest of the would would call windy, I could sometimes make it fly backwards.

Making the engine quiet was not a great thing, definitely not marvelous. Luckily, the only time it happened to be, there was a nice flat wheat field below.

From an altitude of 5000 ft above ground, the glide ratio of many light planes will allow a pilot to glide five miles before touching down. That's nearly 100 square miles to find a wheat field.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm
Just remember to keep your mouth shut or you'll be up there forever.... :nana
-"BB"-
Gold!!!