Does black thought matter?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Does black thought matter?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Guinevere wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:15 pm
your argument above is an entire pile of dung (and whats more, you know it too).

I did ask if I was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying. It's not nice to tell me what I know and don't know.

I do believe all we caucasians benefit from some degree of white privilege and there is unconscious bias in all of us (and I include myself in “all of us”). We all come at it from whatever our specific experiences may be.

There we agree

But does anyone really think there isn’t a deep vein of racism and prejudice and discrimination in this country? If you think we’re all fine, then we vehemently disagree.

Don't know why you'd even consider that I disagree. We're far from fine

If you agree with me in concept, then lets talk about what it will take to fix the problem, and the many different ways to accomplish that, and perhaps stop calling each other names because we have different ideas and experiences.

I didn't call you names and I don't think you have called me names either (at least, not in writing). Just that little error telling me what I know because, obviously, you know better than me on that :lol:
What it will take to fix the problem? Something more like the House bill for police reform than that of the Senate, for sure. But that's not sufficient either. Reforming the police is a beginning, not an end. Unemployment, lack of education, cultural abnorms all round - can that ever be changed?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

To be clear, the first part of my response was addressed to you, Meade(ending with the dung pile), but the second part was taking up @w’s “tell us what you think” challenge. So the “you” was universal.

Also, speaking my mind with confidence doesn’t mean I know better than anyone. But it means I know my own mind and my own opinion. You’re the one reading judgment into it....

Off to the beach and off the screens for the day.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

RayThom

Does black locks matter?

Post by RayThom »

Hair spray, Philly Black woman?

The PPD is here to "protect and serve." I got a serving of your DevaCurl Flexible-Hold Hair Spray right here. You can thank me later.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

"Hey lady! You aren't wearing your mask correctly! Here, let me show you how ineffective a mask is when your nose isn't covered."

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 pm
Well, personally, I do not know anyone who posts videos of black people agreeing with them, but won't read books by a black person who has a Phd in some subject.
Well let's review, shall we? Granted she doesn't appear to have created any video, but you were clearly pretty eager to post the opinions written by this black woman, with whom you obviously agree, by and large. And unless you have been hiding your interests pretty well, you haven't been reading any treatise on racism written by black academics.

So tell me again how "imaginary" this hypothetical person is, when you fit the bill pretty spot on.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm
Gob wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 pm
Well, personally, I do not know anyone who posts videos of black people agreeing with them, but won't read books by a black person who has a Phd in some subject.
Well let's review, shall we? Granted she doesn't appear to have created any video, but you were clearly pretty eager to post the opinions written by this black woman, with whom you obviously agree, by and large. And unless you have been hiding your interests pretty well, you haven't been reading any treatise on racism written by black academics.

So tell me again how "imaginary" this hypothetical person is, when you fit the bill pretty spot on.
I posted the article as it presents a black person who doesn't agree with the way some black people are being represented. It's nice to get an alternative view.

You posted a meme which stated;

I stated that we can all make up imaginary people to feel superior too. Unless you know who this person who will not read a book by a black person with a PhD is, then they remain imaginary. Or are you accusing me of being that person?

If you are, I'm rather insulted.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Perhaps I am mistaken, and you have read a book (or more) by a black academic with whom you disagree. Care to name any?

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am
Perhaps I am mistaken, and you have read a book (or more) by a black academic with whom you disagree. Care to name any?
But you stated I "wouldn't read it", I would if there was cause to.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Just haven't got around to it yet, okay....

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

When did copying and pasting an article here without adding a comment start meaning that you agree with everything in it? When someone posts a meme of Trump saying something stupid does that mean that person agrees with Trump?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm
Just haven't got around to it yet, okay....

So I'm a racist for not reading books which I don't have any reason to read? That's ludicrous. By your standards then, every person who has not read a book by a black person with a PhD is a racist. Think about that for a minute.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I haven't come even remotely close in this thread to calling anyone a racist. What I have been saying is that you trotted out this particular woman's opinion of BLM because she is Black and because she agrees with your negative assessment of them, as if to say, hey look, this Black person agrees with me, so I must be right. Which definitely is "weaponizing Black voices to confirm your own bias". Because, in spite of this thread's title, you didn't seek out any sort of broad representative spectrum of "black thought". You found an opinion that coincides with yours in an attempt to validate your own. Nothing unusual in that, we all do it. Don't shoot the messenger for naming it when I see it.

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Give it up, Gob. He's answered the questions: black thought doesn't matter to him unless it's the correct thought (which coincidentally is whatever he approves of). He's a jerk.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 am
He's a jerk.
D3AA6B98-8B16-49CB-BECA-195AA064EBE2.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I never denied it. Just using my expertise to recognize a church lady when I smell one.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 am
I haven't come even remotely close in this thread to calling anyone a racist.
You have claimed that I will not read a book, unspecified, by a "black person with a PhD" ( in whatever.) A ludicrous claim, totally without substance, and with some weird as fuck relevance to a video which I haven't posted. If I will not read a book by a black person, that is racism, pure and simple. I call the lie on that.

Scooter wrote:
What I have been saying is that you trotted out this particular woman's opinion of BLM because she is Black and because she agrees with your negative assessment of them, as if to say, hey look, this Black person agrees with me, so I must be right.
For the second time. I posted this woman's thoughts, without comment, as they represent a strain of thought we do not come across in this debate often. I have never claimed that I, or she, is right, just offered an alternative to the current norms.
Scooter wrote:
Which definitely is "weaponizing Black voices to confirm your own bias".
What is my bias?
Scooter wrote:
Because, in spite of this thread's title, you didn't seek out any sort of broad representative spectrum of "black thought". You found an opinion that coincides with yours in an attempt to validate your own. Nothing unusual in that, we all do it. Don't shoot the messenger for naming it when I see it.
For the third time, it was the difference to the usual reporting on BLM that made me believe this woman's views may be of interest, worthy of posting here.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
He's a jerk.
I notice you didn't question the sentence before that :ok

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
He's a jerk.
I notice you didn't question the sentence before that :ok
It was too stupid to deserve a response.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm
It was too stupid to deserve a response.
Really? Why is that? Can you point to any inaccuracy? I do so desire to learn wisdom and truth.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

For the second time. I posted this woman's thoughts, without comment, as they represent a strain of thought we do not come across in this debate often. I have never claimed that I, or she, is right, just offered an alternative to the current norms.

By posting the article, without comment, shows you agree with it. People generally don't post things they don't agree with without actually saying they don't agree with them, to show that the comments do not echo their own.

Esther Krauke is a supporter/contributor to Turning Point UK, which is a strongly right-wing conservative group that targets Millenials to "Combat Liberalism". So this isn't an example of an average Black woman being against BLM... it's a young alt-right woman in an organization that will always oppose BLM because of it's call for change. Which Conservatives fear the most.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.