Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Guinevere

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:38 pm
The steaks are marinading, the potatoes are roasting, the peas await their face-to-face with boiling water . . . I sip on my Jack Daniels and contemplate the Ernie Ells 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon breathing its last over there on the shelf with the two glasses waiting thirstily. 23 minutes until dinner - watching Pointless, then The Middle or Big Bang Theory until 9:15 when Spurs play West Ham. That should spoil a pleasant evening.
Can you not get real bourbon in SA?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:38 pm
The steaks are marinading, the potatoes are roasting, the peas await their face-to-face with boiling water . . . I sip on my Jack Daniels and contemplate the Ernie Els 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon breathing its last over there on the shelf with the two glasses waiting thirstily. 23 minutes until dinner - watching Pointless, then The Middle or Big Bang Theory until 9:15 when Spurs play West Ham. That should spoil a pleasant evening.
Can you not get real bourbon in SA?
Maybe - it was a thank-you gift for a friend who gave us two bottles of wine (not good wine though) in an hour of need. But you know . . . lock-down, Covid . . . I'm drinking it.

LR - Spurs defied the odds last night. Changed the game plan from lose/draw to win. Surprised the absent crowd no end. 2-0 win. Season: Won 12 Drew 9 Lost 10. That's not a good line - average to poor for a club of their stature.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Were one to swallow a few Mentos whole then chug some coke how far out the nose would spray shoot? Would the ears be involved?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The spray might shoot out a person's ass and launch someone into orbit. I guess it would depend on the amounts ingested.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I seem to recall the Mythbusters doing something with this myth/urban legend using Pop Rocks, Diet Coke, and a pig's stomach.  They then later revisited it with the actual Mentos and Diet Coke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBuste ... ng_Stomach
Since the stomach is intended to expand, it wouldn't rupture, so they had to call it busted.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I often think this. I may have posted it before. But I think I did not.

Why does Superglue always stick anything to my fingers - but it often fails to stick anything to anything else?

Perhaps that's two random thoughts.

Three (or more)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Let's see...if two people are having sex, that's a twosome...if three people are having sex, that's a threesome...

So...yeah, I guess people might say I'm handsome.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Just to confuse them I bought three . . .

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Why is it that only California knows about these chemicals?
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Everyone knows about them, only California gives its consumers the option to choose what exposures they bring into their homes. Nothing wrong in that, is there?

The tag is written poorly grammatically speaking; the website is the important information.

https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The usual wording is shown below - here for nickel - and is in this case grammatically correct. I don't think I have seen one without the specific chemical or chemicals of concern being listed.

'To' rather than 'in' is the more common wording. I did find one with a more general warning which did not specify the chemicals of concern.

The major problem with Prop 65 warnings is that they have become ubiquitous (what's more, they're everywhere) to the extent that the meaning is lost.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

We are swimming all our lives in carcinogens and hormone disrupters; is it any wonder the rates of chronic disease (including cancer) and obesity? (PFAS/PFOS chemicals are in 97% of human beings, and are known obesogenics.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Ethical / moral dilemma:

So I found a bug in the house. My usual routine is ta grab some tissue wrap it up and squeeze hopefully killing it. After I throw it in the toilet and flush it.

This time as I dropped it in the toilet I felt nature call (no.1) so I decide to take care of 2 things with one flush. As my bladder empties the thought crosses my mind: Am I being disrespectful to the life I just ended? Am I desecrating it’s corpse or worse adding another insult to a life slowly ebbing away soon to be drowned?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Was it a stink bug?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

No that was the asparagus I ate
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.