Televangelists Never Fall Well

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Joe Guy

Televangelists Never Fall Well

Post by Joe Guy »

Liberty University's Falwell takes leave after controversy

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Jerry Falwell Jr. has agreed to take an indefinite leave of absence from his role as president and chancellor of Liberty University, the school announced Friday.

The private evangelical Christian university gave no reason for the departure in its one-sentence statement. But the announcement came after Falwell apologized earlier in the week for a photo he posted on social media that showed him with his pants unzipped, stomach exposed and his arm around a young woman in a similar pose. The photo drew widespread attention and criticism, including from conservatives who said it was distasteful.

The statement said the Executive Committee of Liberty's board of trustees, acting on behalf of the full board, met Friday and requested that Falwell take leave, “to which he has agreed, effective immediately.”

An early and high-profile supporter of President Donald Trump, Falwell has served since 2007 as president of the university in Lynchburg founded by his evangelist father, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell.

He did not immediately return a call seeking comment, and a university spokesman said he had no further comment.

In an interview this week with radio station WLNI, Falwell said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant and that the since-deleted picture had been taken during a “costume party” while on vacation.

“Lots of good friends visited us on the yacht,” the caption of the since-deleted photo said, in part. “I promise that's just black water in my glass. It was a prop only.”

He said the woman — who also had her shorts unzipped in the photo and midriff exposed — was pregnant, couldn't get her pants zipped and he imitated her, saying it was all in “good fun.”

“I’ve apologized to everybody, and I've promised my kids ... I'm going to try to be a good boy from here on out," he said in the interview.

On Thursday, Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina, a pastor who has previously taught at Liberty, called Falwell’s behavior “appalling” and said he should resign.

“How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real?” tweeted Meghan McCain. “Also if you’re running the largest Christian university in America maybe don’t put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht — with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical.”

The late Falwell founded Liberty in 1971 with 154 students. Under the leadership of Falwell Jr., who is an attorney and not a minister, Liberty has grown into a leading evangelical university, with an immaculate campus and a significant endowment.

In recent years, the school has served as a regular speaking spot for ambitious Republicans looking to court the young evangelical vote. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz kicked off a presidential campaign there in 2015. And Falwell was among the earliest Christian conservatives to endorse Trump’s previous election campaign.
source

Televangelists should be forced to wear body cams 24 hours/day.

TPFKA@W

Re: Televangelists Never Fall Well

Post by TPFKA@W »

Wonder if it's his baby.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

He looks more pregnant than she does.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He sounded drunk in the clip of a radio interview I heard online today on CNN. Somebody’s struggling with substance abuse disorder, maybe?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Somewhere I read that this was a Trailer Park Boys themed costume party. Fallwell was allegedly Julian with his ubiquitous rum and coke.

My favorite TPB clip is when Bubbles is driving the car plus trailer full of hash and they are being pursued by a police helicopter. Bubbles loves kitties and there's one in the road. Watch Julian getting out of the car . . .

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes, you can hear Fallwell's 'It was all in good fun' call to the radio station here.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:50 am
Yes, you can hear Fallwell's 'It was all in good fun' call to the radio station here.
"It was all in good fun".

Like other alibis such as 'we didn't mean to cause offense to anyone' or 'that was 20 (or 100, or 200) years ago; why is it such a big deal now?', that excuse didn't play for anyone ever accused of sexist, racist, abusive, or otherwise now-abhorrent activities, even in their childhood.  Why should Falwell Jr. be allowed to play the 'I was just kidding' card in this situation?

Crucify his ass, right alongside everyone else who has been persecuted or had their lives upended because of dickheads judging their past actions under the klieg lights and 'cancel-culture mindset' of present-day sensitivities.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I always liked the episodes with Conky, but, I think they were right to kill him off as he would rapidly become too much of a good thing.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

By the looks of it Falwell would have made a better Randy.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:21 am
By the looks of it Falwell would have made a better Randy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And you're right about Conky - he got a little weird.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Falwell sounds very drunk in that clip.

Yrs