New Supreme Amy Coney Barrett according to CBS News just now

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MGMcAnick

New Supreme Amy Coney Barrett according to CBS News just now

Post by MGMcAnick »

We must hope she simply follows the law and constitution.
Of course Drumpf won't like that.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Burning Petard

Re: New Supreme Amy Coney Barrett according to CBS News just now

Post by Burning Petard »

All the Supremes follow the law and the constitution. They write long essays explaining in labored logic just how the law and the constitution required them to decide for one party or the other that are in dispute. Rarely is justice a priority.

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:47 am
All the Supremes follow the law and the constitution. They write long essays explaining in labored logic just how the law and the constitution required them to decide for one party or the other that are in dispute. Rarely is justice a priority.

snailgate
Exactly.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

● Graduated Notre Dame Law School in 1997.
● Two years as a judicial law clerk, first for Judge Laurence Silberman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit 1997 - 1998.
● Then for Justice Antonin Scalia of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1998 to 1999.
● Practiced law at Miller, Cassidy, Larroca & Lewin in Washington, D.C from 1999 to 2002.
● Was a visiting associate professor at George Washington University Law School, 2001.
● Taught federal courts, constitutional law, and statutory interpretation at her alma mater, Notre Dame Law School from 2002 to 2017.
● Named a Professor of Law at Notre Dame in 2010.
● Held the Diane and M.O. Miller Research Chair of Law at Notre Dame from 2014 to 2017.
● Appointed by Donald Trump to the US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit — her first seat on any bench at any level — in May 2017 (confirmed in October 2017).
● And now, just barely three years later, she's a Trump-appointed, all-but-confirmed Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court.

Sure she had high marks in law school, and you can't be a total dummy if you're teaching law and occupying endowed chairs, but somehow I think that a person who is going to be hearing arguments and reviewing cases decided by lesser courts should have, oh, maybe a little bit of experience as a trial judge making some of those decisions??  

How long have we been living on Bizarro World?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

You don't even need a law degree to be a SC Justice. She's overqualified. Ask Trump. He will tell you.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:04 am
You don't even need a law degree to be a SC Justice. She's overqualified. Ask Trump. He will tell you.
I know that.  But it would have been a little TOO obvious what he was up to if he had nominated Ivanka or Tiffany to the SCOTUS.

Not that he didn't probably think about it at least once.  He's got the votes in the Senate; he could probably have named an Irish setter to the court and gotten it confirmed.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Experience doesn't play into it. Age was the bigger factor. The hope of Conservatives is that she will occupy a seat on the SC for the next 30+ years.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Serving time as a judge is a relatively new requirement. John Marshall, our first great Chief Justice of the Supremes was never a judge. He served as congress critter and secretary of State before his appointment to the bench. More recently I lived through "The Warren Court" where Earl Warren presided over some of the most important cases of our times. He was appointed the the bench by President Ike, a GOP icon, after being elected to three straight terms as the Republican governor of California That same GOP came to regard Warren as a traitor to the conservative cause. Barett is young. She has time to learn and may follow the path of many others who have changed their tune as a liberal/conservative as history progresses.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Add William Douglas to the list of top tier justices who never was a judge prior to appointment. Similarly, Scalia only spent a few years on the Appeals Court before being appointed to SCOTUS, with much of his career to that point spent as a law professor. Obama appointed Elena Kagan who had zero judging experience prior to joining the SCOTUS. The list could go on, the point being that there are a number of reasons to be against Barrett's appointment, but lack of experience is not one of them.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The mantra of course is that you can't hold someone's religion against them. I'm pretty sure that if she were a sincere fundamentalist Islamist it would get a mention.

I don't doubt that she is qualified. She appears to have the support of at least some of her students at Notre Dame (and yes, there might be an element of self selection among them) and her law clerks. I don't think that anyone thought Robert Bork was underqualified: it's just that the man had personal views which could and did bleed into his justicial decisions. She for instance told ND students in 2006:
“Keep in mind that your legal career is but a means to an end, and as Father Jenkins told you this morning, that end is building the kingdom of God.”
Now she has said that she does not let her personal views color her judgments. If you view your career as a means to an end then I'm pretty sure that's what she would say. There are those who say: "Well Thurgood Marshall had his personal views which shaped his SCOTUS career." Well yes; but I think that personal views such as agreeing that all people are created equal and should be treated the same is less controversial than, say, that a wife should always defer to her husband. From that left wing rag, the Wall Street Journal:
Judge Barrett is also a member of the South Bend, Ind., branch of a faith group called People of Praise. The group describes itself as a charismatic Christian community that includes Roman Catholics, Pentecostals and people of other denominations, with about 1,700 members in 22 cities across the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean.

. . .

People of Praise has been criticized for its belief that wives are supposed to defer on family matters to their husbands, who are heads of the household.

People of Praise dispute that label. Well, maybe it's time for them to make a very public statement that they do not believe or teach that.

But I hope that D Senators on the Judiciary Committee over and over and over again, fling their 2016 words back at Grassley and again at the entire Senate hearing, at Graham et al. Otherwise it's Calvinball: make the rules up as you go along.

PS while I was looking up Calvinball to make sure I had spelled it correctly, I discovered that the County Executive of Howard County, MD, is one Calvin Ball III. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Yesterday Lindsey Graham told Fox News that his committee "will approve Barrett by October 22, so she will be on track for a full Senate vote before the end of October." Note the words. Not the committee will vote on her. The committee will approve her by Oct 22. This is the very definition of a rigged vote.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

And, as Gob so eloquently states, “If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle”.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm
Yesterday Lindsey Graham told Fox News that his committee "will approve Barrett by October 22, so she will be on track for a full Senate vote before the end of October." Note the words. Not the committee will vote on her. The committee will approve her by Oct 22. This is the very definition of a rigged vote.
Or...he has the votes and knows it.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps, but I would like to think he'd at least keep the illusion that the hearing means something, however little. After all, think what it's costing us. I remember wen we used to believe Congress debated issues and acted deliberately, now that's not even pretended and it seems there's little reason to have a Congress. You're probably right, but I see that as a major problem with our government as it stands now. The Senate is not, and should not be, a rubber stamp for the president, whoever (s)he is and, if they can't or won't do their jobs, it's time to vote them out. But it's much easier to throw up your hands and say that's the way it is.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Unfortunately, term limits (I'd support 8 year lifetime limit in all Federal elected offices) are a non-starter. So is punishing corruption with crucifixion.

TPFKA@W

The more things change...

Post by TPFKA@W »

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

What's scary is how young Robin Williams was on that clip and he was talking about someone (Clarence Thomas) who is still on the Supreme Court and might be for another 10 or 15 years.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

9FD718D4-6D0F-4ADA-84A6-43C7F0DA48F4.jpeg
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké