Anybody buy ice cream at Walmart?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Anybody buy ice cream at Walmart?

Post by Burning Petard »

I have been hitting Walmart almost weekly during this Pandemic, particularly the Rx department. My stuff is much cheaper there, even without any subsidy from my Rx supplemental insurance. Except for Eiiquis. That is when my insurance policy has paid off.

But on the way to the prescription department, I walked by a freezer in the food section. Wow ! Vanilla or Chocolate for only 99 cents for the Qt-and-a-half container that used to hold a half gallon. Cheapest anywhere else I frequent is popular brands on sale for 2 for 5 dollars. So a bought one. It was OK. Not great but not that bad, considering the price. Then I got up one morning and went to fix my coffee--there on the counter was the ice cream container I forgot to put back in the freezer after a mid nite snack.

I said to myself, self, you messed up this time. I started for paper towels to clean up the mess, then looked again. NO liquid on the counter anywhere around the container. The lid was still off. I looked. Amazing. The folk sculpture formed by the invasions, strokes, digging of my ice cream scoop was still there, exactly as I had left it. It was room temperature (I assume. I did not measure it) but no signs of melting. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to hypothesize as to the substance actually contained within this container of "Walmart Ice Cream" Without further research i threw it into the garbage.

I may need to even reconsider Walmart Rx. The bottle of Amiodarone I picked up today was made in India. The label on the bottle said nothing about its origin. The six page 8.5x11 insert sheet said "manufactured by: Cadilla Healthcare Ltd. India Distributed by Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) inc. Pennington, NJ. 08534. There has been lots of information indicating India is nearly as unreliable as China as a drug or food supplier.

snailgate

Scooter

Re: Anybody buy ice cream at Walmart?

Post by Scooter »

Sounds like the main ingredient is some sort of congealed oil product.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Apparently others have taken note of this phenomenon - The Creepy Reason WalMart Ice Cream Fails to Follow Laws of Nature:
The Great Value ice cream includes corn syrup, guar gum, and cellulose gum, which are common food stabilizers that help keep the sandwich's shape.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Those ingredients are standard in most ice creams these days, including plenty of brand name brands. https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/05 ... hing-else/

I only get Haagen Dazs anymore when I get ice cream - it’s the only widely available brand that is still just milk, cream, eggs, sugar & strawberries, or vanilla bean, or coffee, or whatever the flavor infusion.

There are a few regional boutique brands that I found in Montana and back here which are also just real ice cream, but they are pricey - as is Haagen Dazs. I’d rather have real ice cream as an occasional treat than the ‘frozen dairy dessert’ that is the cheaper norm these days. The texture isn’t right and ruins the experience.

There are a few local farms that make ice cream on site, well worth a trip for a once or twice a season $4 cone of delicious real ice cream. (I’ve thought about making my own, but don’t like ice cream often enough to go to the trouble.)

India and China are two of the largest pharmaceutical manufacturers on the planet, and a lot of the drugs sold in the American market come from both places. All the major pharmacies carry Indian and Chinese manufactured pharmaceuticals, it’s not just a Walmart thing.

I’m curious as to where you heard India was unreliable in pharmaceutical production, because they’re actually known for producing some of the best quality generic medicines available worldwide, from what I understand. There was last spring a great deal of discussion about how the pandemic might effect availability of pharmaceuticals here in the USA as well as elsewhere because of the impact of the shutdown on India’s industry. I also share your qualms about foodstuffs from China, but I have purchased Indian prepared foods and ingredients for years now and never been disappointed with quality.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

American "food" ....shudder....

I'm not an ice cream fan, but love a Jelbert's every so often.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

They only make one flavour, (vanilla,) but serve it with clotted cream.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

Gob wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 am
Marmite/Vegamite, anyone?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Only those with taste, oh, and those who want to stay healthy.
1. It helps you sleep

Marmite contains magnesium, which scientists recently showed can help us sleep. The mineral relaxes muscles and calms nerves, which makes falling asleep easier. A heaped teaspoon of Marmite gives you 10 per cent of your recommended daily allowance (RDI) of magnesium. Spread it on two slices of wholemeal toast and that’s a quarter. If you don’t fancy bread before bed, try Marmite tea. Dissolve a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water and stir.

2. It’s great for your eyes and skin

Marmite is also packed with the other B vitamins, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin). They are essential for breaking down carbohydrate into glucose and for keeping your eyes and skin healthy. Marmite is also easier on your pocket than vitamin B supplements. One teaspoon – which costs approximately 5p - contains 17 per cent, 18 per cent, 36 per cent of your RDI respectively.

3. It’s the one hangover cure you probably haven’t tried

Booze reduces your absorption of B vitamins. This can leave you feeling tired and low the morning after. If you can’t stomach Marmite toast or a cheesy Marmite omelette, try a spoon dissolved in hot water. Add lime juice and a sliced, fried onion if you’re feeling adventurous.

4. Dementia

Marmite increases levels of a brain chemical which protects against brain disorders like dementia, a study by York University found. Scientists asked lucky participants to eat a teaspoon of Marmite every day. After a month, they found participants had higher levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, which regulates brain activity. Its deficiency is associated with neurological disorders. Even better, GABA levels stayed elevated for eight weeks after the study. Researchers attributed the GABA increase to the B12 in Marmite.

5. It gives vegans a vitamin they don’t get

Vitamin B12 keeps your nervous system running. If you don’t get enough, you’ll feel tired, weak and your memory and judgment may be impaired. Plants cannot produce B12, so most vegans take a supplement. Luckily, a teaspoon of Marmite has a quarter of your RDI.

6. It can keep your heart healthy

In a recent study on mice, University of Bristol scientists found that a derivative of vitamin B1, which is found in Marmite, improves heart function, particularly in diabetics. The mice recovered from heart attacks more quickly and developed fewer heart conditions afterwards.Researchers have yet to prove it affects people in the same way, but if they do, it’s a powerful finding.

7. It can help you work out

The vitamin B3 (niacin) in Marmite is also a key ingredient pre-workout supplements. Niacin dilates your blood vessels to deliver as much oxygen to your muscles as possible, allowing you to work out harder. Two teaspoons of Marmite contains about half the amount of niacin as a typical pre-workout supplement.

8. It’s a natural insect repellent

After you eat Marmite, its vitamin B makes its way to your bloodstream and your sweat.Mosquitoes don’t like vitamin B and will give you a wide berth, it is claimed.No study has proven this. But if you’re someone who is plagued by mosquitoes, it’s worth a go.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BSG, I will take under advisement your caution to restrict one's special treats to the good stuff. My physicians (3) who are riding me constantly about salt intake and weight control would support you. And Scooter-- don't call it congealed oil, it is 'stabilized flavor enhancers and preservatives.' and who would't want that.

I still prefer the local bakery bread that turns to granite within 24 hours of bringing it home--but it has too much salt, the Doc says, to buy it regularly.
That is why I have never purchased one of those home bread machines. If I had it I would look like the Michelin Man and the dieners would be mumbling complaints as they loaded me on the gurney.

snailgate

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I remember getting ice milk as a kid. It has been 3+ decades since I limited sweets to only quality and in limited amounts.

Also as a kid I remember being shocked that my friend’s family used real butter. Up until my teens I had only ever used margarine (same with everyone else I knew). I haven’t had margarine in over 30 years as well.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Gob wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 am
Only those with taste, oh, and those who want to stay healthy.
1. It helps you sleep

Marmite contains magnesium, which scientists recently showed can help us sleep. The mineral relaxes muscles and calms nerves, which makes falling asleep easier. A heaped teaspoon of Marmite gives you 10 per cent of your recommended daily allowance (RDI) of magnesium. Spread it on two slices of wholemeal toast and that’s a quarter. If you don’t fancy bread before bed, try Marmite tea. Dissolve a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water and stir.

2. It’s great for your eyes and skin

Marmite is also packed with the other B vitamins, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin). They are essential for breaking down carbohydrate into glucose and for keeping your eyes and skin healthy. Marmite is also easier on your pocket than vitamin B supplements. One teaspoon – which costs approximately 5p - contains 17 per cent, 18 per cent, 36 per cent of your RDI respectively.

3. It’s the one hangover cure you probably haven’t tried

Booze reduces your absorption of B vitamins. This can leave you feeling tired and low the morning after. If you can’t stomach Marmite toast or a cheesy Marmite omelette, try a spoon dissolved in hot water. Add lime juice and a sliced, fried onion if you’re feeling adventurous.

4. Dementia

Marmite increases levels of a brain chemical which protects against brain disorders like dementia, a study by York University found. Scientists asked lucky participants to eat a teaspoon of Marmite every day. After a month, they found participants had higher levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, which regulates brain activity. Its deficiency is associated with neurological disorders. Even better, GABA levels stayed elevated for eight weeks after the study. Researchers attributed the GABA increase to the B12 in Marmite.

5. It gives vegans a vitamin they don’t get

Vitamin B12 keeps your nervous system running. If you don’t get enough, you’ll feel tired, weak and your memory and judgment may be impaired. Plants cannot produce B12, so most vegans take a supplement. Luckily, a teaspoon of Marmite has a quarter of your RDI.

6. It can keep your heart healthy

In a recent study on mice, University of Bristol scientists found that a derivative of vitamin B1, which is found in Marmite, improves heart function, particularly in diabetics. The mice recovered from heart attacks more quickly and developed fewer heart conditions afterwards.Researchers have yet to prove it affects people in the same way, but if they do, it’s a powerful finding.

7. It can help you work out

The vitamin B3 (niacin) in Marmite is also a key ingredient pre-workout supplements. Niacin dilates your blood vessels to deliver as much oxygen to your muscles as possible, allowing you to work out harder. Two teaspoons of Marmite contains about half the amount of niacin as a typical pre-workout supplement.

8. It’s a natural insect repellent

After you eat Marmite, its vitamin B makes its way to your bloodstream and your sweat.Mosquitoes don’t like vitamin B and will give you a wide berth, it is claimed.No study has proven this. But if you’re someone who is plagued by mosquitoes, it’s worth a go.
And it's a weight-loss product! The smell alone will have me sprinting to the bathroom to vomit, and kill my appetite for most of a day.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

About the only good thing I can think of to say about Marmite/Vegemite is that it is a by-product of the brewing industry, which gives us that magnificiently marvelous essence of the amber grains and sacred hops.

:clap:    :clap:   YAYYYY!!! for the brewing industry!!!   :clap:    :clap: :lol: :lol:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Marmite and Vegemite aren't bad when used properly. You just have to realize that you're not supposed to spread it generously like some people do with butter and other spreads.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I can't even get that far. The slightest smell will make me queasy. A strong smell will have me hurling my guts out.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I have no idea what Marmite or Vegimite taste like, and COVID eliminated a trip to Oz where I might have found out, but I find it strange that this topic turns up on an ice cream thread. Not two years ago, I took a walk up one of 7 hills and had a nice gelato before continuing on my way, makes way more sense than tweaking Gob and his defense of an Australian shelf item - in an ice cream thread.

dales

Post by dales »

dales wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:46 am
Gob wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 am
Marmite/Vegamite, anyone?
I plead guilty for tweaking the gobster.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 am
Marmite and Vegemite aren't bad when used properly. You just have to realize that you're not supposed to spread it generously like some people do with butter and other spreads.
Some (American) people spread it like peanut butter, which is madness, it's far too powerful a taste for that.

It's not just for toast you know!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

And now I think I'll buy some ice cream.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

There has been lots of information indicating India is nearly as unreliable as China as a drug or food supplier.
Big Pharma really really wants you to believe that.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Buddy just refilled his insulin. (At Walmart, as usual.) It was made in, of all places, Israel.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That’s odd tho say the least given the content of the usual “cheap” insulin.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.